having the right gear

eakin

i'd like to know if its are first time as pc and we dont have gear other then custom can we get gear ie weapons on site and if so can we keep them thank

Some chapters might have things for sale or loan, you should probably put a post in the out of game boards specific to your chapter seeing if someone can make you what you're looking for.

i have a "armor" question. how authentic does our armor have to be. i guess my question is can i get a Halloween costume and customize it

armor

long question short can i get a convincing halloween costume and customize it

Maybe on the armor, but unless it is actually made of metal/leather you might only get a few points for it (if anything as most holloween stuff looks bad in good light).

It will always come down to the local chapter marshal doing the gear inspection.

Here's a quick example run:
56801357854779.jpg

No.

mens-medieval-knight-costume-29326.jpg

No.

5215-51w.jpg

No.

44120-5w.jpg

No.

4807-34w.jpg

No.

armour_6642.jpg

Yes. (Isn't him ferocious! Yes he is! Yes he is!)

yhst-67421776749544_2197_204707651

Hahahahaha... Oh man. No.
(The best part of this one is that it's called "Sir Bangalot.")

If you're looking at significantly better quality than any of that, maybe. You won't get points for metal unless it's actually metal, same with leather. That's not to say you can't get armor points for something you got at a Halloween store at all, it just usually tends to be the costuming, not the cheapo armor. There are lots of people who can help you with costume advice, and probably people local to you who may be able to help you. Find which chapter is closest to you and ask, we're a pretty friendly lot, and most people will help out a new person if they can.

markusdark said:
I thought you could get points for plastic armor that looks "period"- just that it would be less because it wasn't made of metal.
A strict reading of the armor rules would suggest you can't, but I've seen pickle-barrel be awarded two points per location. I think the dividing line is "is it protective?". I think most Halloween costumes fail to meet even that lax standard.

TheSavage said:
its sooooo expensive to get started =[[[[[
Great-looking costuming doesn't have to be expensive, if you do it right.LARP and thrift shopping are wonderful friends with one another.

One great way to have your character have inexpensive costuming (as well as a specialized look) is to make your own outfits instead of buying them, especially if you use discount materials that nevertheless look good. I keep my PCs' styles cheap by using thrift materials to make my own gear. For example, my primary character has two superb-looking shirts that were made of nice-quality red bedsheets from a thrift store (less than $4 apiece), with my alternate character wearing a shirt made from a green tablecloth and a surcoat made from a brown table runner (again, a $5 investment total). A little extra sewing effort can save you money, and make your outfit customized to you.

A pair of drawstring scrub pants (which, again, you can easily find at thrift stores for dirt cheap) make excellent beginning LARP pants, and a pair of good looking boots can easily be found at thrift stores (I've been wearing the same pair of $5 thrift store boots for a little over two years, and they haven't failed me yet).

Inexpensive and great-looking costuming items are not necessarily mutually exclusive from one another; Good costuming is only expensive if you make it so.

thanks for the pick me up..ive looked it up online and theyre several thrift stores in my area hope may not be lost thanks to you lol

If you don't want to (or can't) sew, you can still find some pretty decent stuff at thrift stores. It won't look as good as Gandian's costuming, but some stuff can work right off the rack. My first larp event, I wore an oversized off-white long-sleeved shirt belted at the waist and some cloth bracers my girlfriend made me. It didn't look great, but I was better dressed than at least a few of the people at that chapter. Add a tabard (one of the easiest sewing projects out there) and you have a half-decent costume.

Most people won't pay that much attention to your pants. Pretty much any normal black pants will blend in pretty well, as will brown or khaki-ish color - keep in mind that it's easy to end up looking like a Best Buy salesman if you're wearing normal khakis, though. I still wear black cargo pants most of the time, but that's on my list of things to upgrade this season.

If you have a little money to spend (and you're not playing an orc, ogre, or barbarian), a nice poofy renaissance shirt can add a lot to your costume. I got this one for Christmas and it's a lot higher quality than I expected for $26.

If you want armor points then usually you have to pay. Though when I came in game I had 'hide' armor made from my parents old carpet they were throwing out. I got 10 or 12 armor points if I remember correctly. It depended on whether or not I wore the helmet, a Burger King giveaway thing that I found in the garbage and wrapped in carpet. But a non-armor costume doesn't have to cost much at all. Especially if you sew.
TheSavage said:
its sooooo expensive to get started =[[[[[

KyleSchmelz said:
It won't look as good as Gandian's costuming, but some stuff can work right off the rack.
Thanks, man! :thumbsup:

Like I said before, the following shirt was made out of a roughly $3-4 bed sheet (I actually have two nearly-identical shirts: One for summer, made of a light fabric, and one for winter, made of thicker, warmer fabric. The one pictured is my winter shirt). A friend of mine used it for her sewing portfolio, thus the fancy picture.
2zhr702.jpg

Most people won't pay that much attention to your pants. Pretty much any normal black pants will blend in pretty well, as will brown or khaki-ish color - keep in mind that it's easy to end up looking like a Best Buy salesman if you're wearing normal khakis, though. I still wear black cargo pants most of the time, but that's on my list of things to upgrade this season.
Personally, I disagree; In my opinion, pants can either make or break your ensemble. To me, even if you have a good shirt, tabard, vest, whatever, your whole outfit will look seriously out of place if you have just some regular pants on. And, like I said before, sufficient pants are usually a simple thing to get right for barely any cash.

Be you PCing or NPCing, investing in a base layer of in-genre clothing will improve your and everyone around you's game, in my opinion. NPCs wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and a tabard kinda bug me. Wearing a base, neutral-colored, in-genre shirt and a pair of basic black pants can be the foundation of practically any outfit (be you a notable NPC or part of a wave of crunchy monsters). I really like a well phys-repped game, and the more new players who come into game with decent costuming, the greater events will look, and the greater events look, the more fun and immersion people will have at them.

Another cheap way to pick up some armor points is to scout thrift stores for leather coats and things. A nice leather jacket (not a bomber jacket, but a button up straight front or breasted one) can be easily modified into a Jerkin/doublet with some cutting and minimal hand sewing. it's not a ton of points, but it's something. You can also use the scraps for boot covers :)

My goodwill tends to have a lot of leather in the spring/fall and if you hit the 50% off day for it, you can usually get it for $15-$25 :)
It will take some creativity and a bit of work, but it can look REALLY cool :)

I just want to make a quick point regarding what was said "I thought it just had to look like metal."

The biggest thing with armour is that if you wear a lot of it, it slows you down. Plastic haloween costumes that 'look like' metal don't do that, only real metal does.

I got 2 comments for my merchant Artisan that I just started getting together the costuming for (and I can't find ANY leather that I like - except maybe a pair of gloves).

1) NPCs are going to LOOOVE me. (but that's okay, I'll be staying in town. I don't even have any weapon skills or spells, just some simple alchemy and First Aid)
2) It's easier for me to run away. I'm not burdened down by heavy armour, so I can outrun someone who is wearing a lot.

MathGwyson said:
I just want to make a quick point regarding what was said "I thought it just had to look like metal."

The biggest thing with armour is that if you wear a lot of it, it slows you down. Plastic haloween costumes that 'look like' metal don't do that, only real metal does.

I got 2 comments for my merchant Artisan that I just started getting together the costuming for (and I can't find ANY leather that I like - except maybe a pair of gloves).

1) NPCs are going to LOOOVE me. (but that's okay, I'll be staying in town. I don't even have any weapon skills or spells, just some simple alchemy and First Aid)
2) It's easier for me to run away. I'm not burdened down by heavy armour, so I can outrun someone who is wearing a lot.

That's one of the tradeoffs for armor. Lots of it is good for absorbing damage, but not getting out of the way of it. On the other hand, if you're stuck in a front line, dodging isn't as much of an issue. But "armor class run away" is pretty good protection when you can move and aren't interested in a fight...

Back