Heat Advisory and Request for Donations

Ezri

Knight
Hello All,

For those of you who don't live in PA or the general surrounds and may not be aware, the Department of Health has issued a Heat Advisory for this weekend. While the nights are likely to be cooler and more manageable, we're talking 100+ during the day. So to go with that, a few requests:

1. Donations of water and Gatorade (or similar sports drink), preferably in individual bottles. If you do bring big jugs, please also bring a package of plastic or paper cups.
2. Donations of bags of ice
3. Loans of large coolers in which to store said ice... think about this one... you get gobbies, and you get to keep your stuff. Just mark it with your name so we know which one is yours.
4. Fans with misting capabilities. Just plain fans unfortunately won't do much to cool you down. Again, loaners on these are fine.
5. A few digital thermometers (the people kind, not the outdoor kind) - PLEASE PM or Email Christine (sn: Gwendara) before you pick this one up. We just need a few, not 30.
6. Towels and/or sheets for wet cooling
7. Snacks (the usual - granola bars, nuts etc)

Can't donate anything? That's ok. AT LEAST make sure you take care of yourself:

1. Plan on drinking a minimum of a gallon of water/sports drink per day, and come prepared. If you're not sure if you're drinking enough - YOU AREN'T. Ask yourself when was the last time you ran to the porta-john. If it's more than a few hours, or if you can't even remember the last time you peed, drink something.

2. If you're only drinking water, make sure you're also eating, preferably something with a little bit of salt to keep your electrolytes and nutrients up. But lay off the Monster, Red Bull and all those other crazy caffeinated drinks.

3. Be realistic. Yes our characters are heroes in game, but trips to the OOG hospital suck. Heat Exhaustion and Heat Stroke are serious, and can creep up faster than you think. Keep an eye on each other. Take a break in the cabin or the tavern, roleplay a bit and have a drink. And if a member of the medical team tells you to take a cool-down break or to drink something, please listen to them. They know what they're talking about, and they genuinely care about making sure we're all in one piece at the end of a weekend.

The attached PDF has some information on the warning signs of these heat injuries. Let's all stay hydrated and have a great weekend.

Thanks for positing this!

Turns out black makeup works just as well... :wacko:

Another note for those who play high makeup races...

SKIP THE BARRIER SPRAY.

The makeup is bad enough, but with barrier spray your skin can't breathe or sweat at all to cool you down. We can deal with slightly streaky makeup for one event.

I actually don't use barrier spray normally anyways, I just re-apply when it gets patchy. But yea if you do use that makes sense.

This list has all the main stuff we will need. Please, guys, I know it sounds like we are beating a dead horse but bring water and lots of it. Bringing some sort of canteen that you can have with you is also a good idea. Keep an eye on each other, it's easy to overlook how bad you can be feeling and other people will notice first. Mild confusion can be one of the early symptoms of heat probs.

Bottom line drink water and make sure you're still sweating. There were tons of unconscious/heat related calls today. Cortni already posted in the other forums but our response area was so taxed as well as our providers that my company will more than likely be putting extra trucks in service this weekend.

Be safe and hydrated while you kick some serious butt!

Due to the extreame heat the areas that me and Christine work are experiencing very high EMS call volumes. During the day today units from surrounding areas had to be called in to deal with the increasing number of patients. Our companies are discussing activating mandatory overtime, extra staffing, and/or putting more trucks on the street to deal with heat emergencies. This brings up the possibly of me and/or Christine not being able to attend Friday night. It could also be in effect on Saturday meaning we could not attend the event. If this happens we will need someone on site to be medical staff. If no medically trained people are avalible we still need someone who is willing to monitor / treat heat related problems. Any of our military people would be great at this I know heat safety is drilled into you guys. If anyone is willing to take on this responsibility if me and Christine are unable to attend please contact me or christine via email. (cortniw@gmail.com or christine.maudlin@gmail.com) We will make sure anyone that officially takes on this responsibility is rewarded hansomely with goblin points.

-Cortni
(repost from other weather thread)

Back