Heavy Thrown

Sean Blair

Hello all, new to the game and overly excited to get started. I have many questions, but the one really eating at me now is this: What is considered "a single measurement," when measuring a heavy thrown weapon? If you use a 2' length of foam its javelin, got that. But what if you take that same 2' length and bend it into a ring. Is it now a small thrown weapon or would the circumference count as that "single measurement?" And for that matter, what about angled weapons like boomerang, are they measured along the entire length or just from tip to tip.

My intent here isn't to cheese, but one of the character ideas I'm batting around focuses on thrown weapons... because I love a challenge!
Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:
It may depend a little bit on which chapter you're playing at with regards to the ring, but for the boomerang-style it would probably be measured along the curve the same way a bow would be.

Note that a ring-style thrown weapon may not even be allowed, as a marshal may deem it a hooking risk (even though you can't block with a thrown weapon, most peoples' instinct is to use whatever is in their hand) or a general safety issue (may get caught on weapons/shoes/costuming and pose a risk) depending on the construction; your best bet would be to contact a weapon marshal in the chaper you're looking to play in, and have them approve it before you arrive to game if possible.

A solid disc might be a better option to increase the chances of your weapon being allowed, but would be measured along the widest diameter and likely be a small thrown weapon.

Boomerang - Would totally measure around the curve.

Ring-style - I consider this less dangerous then the probability of getting smacked in the eye with a latex pointy thrown weapon, so I wouldn't disqualify it for that reason. But Phal isn't wrong; you should absolutely discuss this with your local marshals.

Awesome, thanks for the responses! Hadnt thought of the hooking thing, that makes sense. Perhaps if it wasn't entirely hollow on the inside that might make it safer. Still not sure on the measurement though.

Boomerang style seems like it might be a safer bet. I'll ask locally for sure for clarification. My plan is to npc my first time out to get a feel for combat, and how the game flows. Thanks again for the info.

I wouldn't consider a ring-thrown weapon as a hooking risk. If someone attempts to use it at all in melee, the risk is irrelevant; they are cheating for trying.

And that is why a discussion with your local rules marshals is paramount. No single marshal determines what is our isn't legal for all of Alliance in cases where a judgement call has to be made. Some chapters may be more concerned with shape causing accidental hooking than others.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Semi-relarer question: Do thrown weapons have to be made of open cell foam or would a lower density closed cell be acceptable? Seems like it would be difficult to get a good throw with something so light.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Semi-relarer question: Do thrown weapons have to be made of open cell foam or would a lower density closed cell be acceptable? Seems like it would be difficult to get a good throw with something so light.

Thrown weapons do not need to be made with open-cell foam. They do need to be coreless, but you can use lower-density cell, sure thing.

Back