Hello from Harrisburg

Hello there. I'm from the harrisburg area in PA. I'm guessing Gettysburg is the closest for me and my gang of misfits. What do we need to do to get started? Registration and all. Just foam weapons? Ect. Thank you.

Hey there! I popped in in your previous thread but I wanted to introduce myself as Gettysburg's customer service rep. I'm responsible for helping you with your at- and between-game experience.

Firstly - and I'm obligated to say this - Alliance LARP Gettysburg is an 18+ chapter. Don't know your age, but I'd rather say it now than have anyone show up and not be able to play! :)

To get started, you'll need to pay your membership fee online. If you plan to PC your first event, I recommend paying that as well. You can do both via our website, but the site has not yet been updated to reflect our 2015 game schedule. That should be up in a few weeks. :) We'll also have you sign a waiver when you get onsite.

Some other folks have said this already, but: I highly recommend NPCing your first event (or first couple events). Between a read-through of our rulebook (available for free at alliancelarp.com!) and an event or few events of NPCing, this is hands-down the best way to learn our rules and combat systems, figure out a fighting style you enjoy, and experience the RP of different races. I would also recommend reading the introductory material regard our chapter's world, Barran, on our website - every chapter has a different setting, so this'll help you understand ours a little better.

If you decide to NPC, you won't need to bring kits or weapons and you'll get to play for free (after paying your yearly membership fee)! All NPCs need to bring in terms of costuming are all-black clothes; we supply makeup, masks, and kits to go on top of that. I usually also bring my own belts and pouches, but I'm really tiny and most of our stock belts don't fit me.

That should answer the first few questions. Feel free to follow up and thank you for your interest in Alliance LARP Gettysburg. If you'd like, feel free to email me at barran.customer.service@gmail.com.

Ok I just answered my own question. I'm gonna have to pass on this. Sorry guys. ReenActing events arnt even that expensive and we have real weapons that can kill people. But thank you anyway. Good luck in 2015. :)

Hey Rudolph - I totally understand money being a factor and that is often one of the reasons NPCing is an awesome option. It is totally free beyond your yearly membership, you still get to play the game and meet folks/see your friends, and it is honestly some of the most fun I've ever had. If real-killing people is your thing, go for it - but we'd love to have you at a game where you can fake-kill your friends over and over again. :)

Lmao. We don't really kill people. I was just saying we use real weapons that can actually kill people. I may be a professional NPC then. Lol. I'm good at being the bad guy. So now being an NPC, it says just bring black clothes and you guys equip everything else. I have my armor, i can always be a harder bad guy???

It never hurts to bring additional costume pieces for NPCing- I often bring my own belts, pouches, and some assorted basic pieces of in-period garb that aren't too distinctive/can be interchanged between roles. When you NPC, you play a LOT of different things - monsters, townsfolk, That Guy Who Says Inane Things But Swings a Scary Weapon So No One Messes With Him, etc.; in short - we won't always be sending you out as bad guys or even as guys swinging things that kill other guys, but I am certain that you'd have a chance to wear it for a wave battle or a recurring character.

Well like I said, I have a crap ton of acting experience so use me where ever you guys want. Just tell the PCs to be aware, I play....a lot. Lol. And to kick it, I've got plenty of accents at my disposal too.

The short answer to your question is "maybe". The better answer is best answered via a better explanation of how we prepare our game:

Our plot team pre-writes a general idea of the event in advance. This includes your setting, arch plot, side plots, and influential characters who will drive the plot. To that effect, whether or not a town has a guard or guards depends entirely on the setting of the current event or series of events takes place in, and, at present, we haven't yet figured out those details for our April opener. So, the best way I can answer your question is "we may need a guard, we may not". As I said before, it will not hurt to bring the armor; I just can't guarantee you'll want or need it for the roles you'll be given over the course of the weekend.

If that sounds at all discouraging, let me tell you a thing about NPCs:
NPCs are the most vital roles in our game because without them, there is no world with which our PCs can interact. Every role is vital, no matter how small it may seem, because everyone plays differently - someone who's there for the combat will definitely appreciate you playing a skeleton/goblin/howlbear just as much as someone who's there for the RP will appreciate you playing a distraught spouse looking for their partner. No matter how small the role, it is imperative to the way we bring life to our game. You may not always play the big bad guy (hell, I've only ever done that once in my five years of play), but that doesn't mean being an NPC doesn't positively and awesomely impact the way our game works.

That is in no way discouraging. I completely understand the need for small parts and how vital they are. I have been reading the different things on NPCs and I completely agree. First off I never want to be "the hero" if that helps any. I like adding to the atmosphere of the game play. I will do whatever role is necessary and assigned to me, and I will rock it outta this world. I can't wait to play in April. Is there anything beforehand? Like a everyone meets up before the season starts? Like an ice breaker meet and greet? That would be really cool. Just an idea to get newbies like myself more comfortable with the other players. Thank you again for answering my questions. :)

I will send you a PM. :)

You appreciate anyone who happens to be stupid enough to put their body at the other end of your weapon because you are bad and like to make people feel bad.

See also: Brian Bender.

I prefer evil to bad... Or the much maligned misunderstood.

But at least I'm friendly and welcoming to new people... As something other than a snack. :)

Back