Help For a New Player? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! My sister and I are planning on joining you all for your June 2012 event. It'll be our first Alliance LARP ever! ^__^*

I was hoping that someone could answer some of my questions and/or give me their opinions on a few things.

I saw that in the Alliance main page they suggest NPCing your first event, but Crossroads suggests PCing it. What's the general consenus on the matter?

Is food free all weekend at the event, or do we have to pay for it? If we have to pay, how much does it cost?

What kind of weapons are you allowed to start with? How can I make my own boffer weapon? Can we start with spells?

I'm sure more things will pop up, but that's all for now. If anyone could please help us out, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your time and patience! :)

Well, the first couple of things I would say you should do is get yourself a copy of the Alliance Rule book and the Players Guide for Crossroads. The rule book you can get either by Hard Copy or a .pdf, which can be found on the Main web site. The Players Guide for Crossroads can be found as a .pdf on their website.

In the rule book has a "How to" guide to building a boffer weapon, there are also people who would make you some ( for a price)

alliancecrossroads.com is the addie for Crossroads and can answer the cost of events and whatnot..

Welcome!
Definately start with reading through the rulebook. (don't memorize it or anything, you can (and should ) feel free to ask questions at the game) but reading it will give you an idea. When you create your character, you choose skills, and you certainly could start with some spells if you want to.

Hey there,

First of all, welcome to our game! I sure hope you guys come check us out, because I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Here's are my feelings in response to your questions:
I personally enjoyed PCing my first event. I still read the rulebook and had a basic understanding of the many ways I could get taken out, but as a new PC I only had to learn a small amount of the game to play MY character.

As for food, meals are provided at Alliance Crossroads. Any between-meal snacks you might want you will have to either bring for yourself or purchase off another player for in-game coin, should there be someone selling food.

As for weapons, your starting skills determine what weapons you are allowed to start with. Same for spells. So, if you possess the One-Handed Edged skill and the Shield skill, you start game with some sort of cutting weapon and a shield. Or if you start the game with some skill in magic, you start the game with some spells, too.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might come up with, I'm sure myself or someone else will be able to help you out. I look forward to seeing you at our game!
~Dan Aldi

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! :D

So this may sound crazy, but is it possible to play this gane and survive without armor and/or a boffer weapon? I don't think I'll be able to find anything decent armor-wise in time, although if I do, great! :p As for weapons, do you really need one? Could I, like, dodge and cure a lot?

Just wondering, lol. Thanks again! XD

There are some people that play the game that have neither armour or a weapon skill...they are Casters, you have only a limited number of spells you can cast per day. So when you cast them all, no more for the day. If you were to go this road then make sure you like to Role Play....i.e. sitting in the tavern, or one of the Guild Halls or with a group of people and talking, which is not a bad thing. The more people you get to know the better. After a few Events you would have a bit more build and would have more spells. Plus with a new player you can do a rewrite with your character, if you find you dont really like the skills or race...before the 3 Event I think...

Thanks! I might try being a Caster then. :)

Should I make my own spell packets or buy them? Are they easy to make?

Sorry to keep asking you all so many questions! Thanks a lot. :D

you can make your own rather easy... you need a few things, a pair of scissors, rubber bands, bird seed (no sunflower seeds or big pieces) and some fabric a flat sheet is good...just dont use Orange or Blue as those colors mean something O= alchemy and B= arrows.. just cut the sheet into 6" by 6" pieces....again most of this is in the Rules Book.... ;)

Thanks so much! I'll have to get a copy of it. lol XD

I appreciate all of your help, everyone! :D

Glad to hear that you are coming out!

If you would like I have a loaner quarterstaff. It only cost 4 build, and I would be happy to show you how to get some use out of it.

Just tell me if you would like me to bring it for you.

RuneBrighteyes said:
Glad to hear that you are coming out!

If you would like I have a loaner quarterstaff. It only cost 4 build, and I would be happy to show you how to get some use out of it.

Just tell me if you would like me to bring it for you.

Thanks for the offer! :)

I'm going to try to make a simple generic sword just so I have something. I'll totally let you know if it fails and I need to borrow your quarterstaff! :thumbsup:

Okay, new question! I was reading over the Traveller's Guide to Kosmara, and was wondering where exactly in Kosmara our town/campsite is. Anyone know? Or is it like split up into more than one location? Thanks! :D

It is located in the human kingdom of Mercatos. Specificly in the barony of Seacrest which is the northern area of Mercatos. Read up on Mercatos in the pdf and you should get the basic info, anything more specific can be learned in game from peoples.

Trel Jarina said:
It is located in the human kingdom of Mercatos. Specificly in the barony of Seacrest which is the northern area of Mercatos. Read up on Mercatos in the pdf and you should get the basic info, anything more specific can be learned in game from peoples.

Thank you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back