Help us. Have fun. Have lunch. Get gobbies!

Calling all Portland Area Alliance Folks and others willing to travel,

My wife, Judy, and I have a favor to ask of you. In order to raise funds for our youngest son William’s preschool, we are planning to run a LARP-like event for small children. In order to do this, we need 12 or more people in fantasy costume to help us staff the event and man small stations scattered about Gabriel Park in SW Portland. We were hoping that since you all have easy access to costumes, and many have characters you are comfortable playing, you would consider sharing your talents with us.

The scheduled date/time is: Sunday, 10 July 2011, 9am - 1pm

What we are doing is called a Journey. It is an event often done at Waldorf schools for Halloween or Christmas, and could be described as trick or treating through Mother Goose’s neighborhood. The children and their parents will be guided along a preset path by an older child in costume. There will be stations set up along the path where the children encounter and interact with fantasy/fairy tale personalities going about their magical daily lives. The group will stay at each station for a few minutes to watch and/or interact with the character and receive a small trinket or favor. Then they’ll be guided along the path to the next station. The goal is for the Journey to be magical, and perhaps a bit mysterious, but not scary.

If you decide to help us, this is what you can expect. You will spend about 5 minutes interacting with each group. While the group is at your station you might chat with the children as your character, sing a song to them, ask them to sing a song to you, ask them to answer a riddle, ask them help you with your chores, do a magic trick for them, silently lead them to a hidden glade where treasure awaits, or do some other interesting, magical thing. (We’ve already got a general idea of what the stations will be, but please feel free to share your ideas and preferences with us) At the end of each encounter you’ll give each child a small gift which we will provide to you. Most of your time will probably be spent relaxing and waiting for groups to show up to your station.

We expect to send four groups of six children (and their parents) through the Journey, spaced 20 minutes between groups. Each group should take about an hour to complete their Journey, so it should take about 2 hours for all four groups to pass through.

In exchange for helping us, you can earn 30 gobbies from Alliance Oregon (10 for setup, 10 for manning a station for 2 hours, and 10 for tear down), lunch afterwards (likely pizza), and the love and adoration of 24 little kids and their families.

If this sounds like something you would like to help out with, or if you have any questions, please respond here or PM me.

Thanks so much for reading all of this, and I hope we can count you in!

Doug C (aka Chicken Leg Jack)
Judy O (aka Matilija Brown)

P.S. A big thank you to Cymryc for providing the gobbies!

Edit: Changed some of the 'this is tentative' language to 'this is scheduled', and added in the date info.

Sounds like fun. Would need a good idea of when it is, but I could give an initial yes.

May bring my son along for some extra hands.
He has his own costume, so maybe could use him as a extra or a guide.

I would love to help out with this, and I will let the other Company members know about it.

SkollWolfrun said:
Sounds like fun. Would need a good idea of when it is, but I could give an initial yes.

May bring my son along for some extra hands.
He has his own costume, so maybe could use him as a extra or a guide.

The tentative date is listed as such:

randomdebris said:
We are tentatively planning the Journey for the morning of July 10th, 2011. The date for the Journey has not been set in stone yet though, so if you’d like to help out, please let us know if there are other dates that work as well or better for you.

They just need to know if you can help by the end of this month (Jan 2011) so they can put it on the Auction List (assuming I read that correctly).

Yes, to be clear, we are shooting for Sunday, 10 July 2011, 9am - 1pm (that includes setup & clean up, which should be minimal). The time and date still isn't set in stone, but at the moment is our top choice.

Thank you early responders, and we are keeping our fingers crossed that more people will see this and respond by January 31, so we can make this happen.

DougC

(edited, the time originally showed 10am-1pm)

EDIT: Double checked and I'm back on the 6th! I can make it! Whee! I will SO be there! :D

Oh! That sounds like tons of fun! I would be glad to come help. I need to check the date, though. I'm getting back from a trip around then. If it doesn't conflict, count me in. I'll let you know for sure within the next few days. :)

Though I have no idea what my life will be like that far out (as far as what employment I'll have) but I'm shooting for positions that do not require weekend work, that said, I would like to do this!

~Carmen

No reason I can see right now why I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm in.

I can definitely help out. I'd love that!

It's official: the Fairytale Journey is happening, we are committed!

@ Gabriel Park
Sunday, 10 July 2011, 9am - 1pm (please mark your calendars)

We could still use more volunteers, so if you were on the fence because we were unsure of the date, etc., check your calendars and see if you can join us: the more the merrier.

Thank you everyone that has shown interest so far, this should be a lot of fun.

DougC

P.S. Note that we altered the time: we originally said 10am-1pm, but that was just bad math on my part. 9am-1pm (4 hours, including setup/teardown) is the plan.
I have also edited my other posts to match.

:necro-bump:
This is the event that was discussed before the June, I said June event.

I am still in.
I have a basic costume & my wolf, I can bring either/both and work in however you would like.

Agh! I work that day, no way of getting it off, I'm sorry to say, cuz I love kids! mmm....tasty, tasty children...

If you do another event on a Saturday I can usually make it (unless work calls...sigh)

Sounds like Matt and I are in. We've got pirate/gypsy, elves, fancier Renaissance clothes, barbarian-y stuff, etc.

Hooray for volunteers. We appreciate the re-confirmations, etc.
We are still short a few bodies, so if anyone is interested please either make a note here, or send us a PM.

Thanks,
Doug C (aka Chicken Leg Jack)
Judy O (aka Matilija Brown)
Dash C (aka Jack Fenton Jr)
Corbin C (aka Burberry)
William C (aka ... Will)

A great big thank you to all of our volunteers for the 'Fantasy Journey' at Gabriel Park:
Jesse H.
Sarah Jane H.
Sean G. & 'son'
Carmen S.
Matt O.
Jimmy H.
Barbara M.

We couldn't have done it without you.

Thank you again,
Doug C & Judy O

P.S. If there is anyone I have forgotten, please remind me.

Back