Helpful Tips

TheSaint

Artisan
Tomorrow the Mrs and I PC for the first time, we're both looking forward to it, but I'm just looking for tips. I'm excited about tomorrow but fairly nervous about how it'll go. I'm just wondering how everyone else faired with their first PC experiences and what they learned from it that might help a newbie like me.

Running, run like hell, and then some. If they can't catch you, they can't kill you...

And making friends/being cool with powerful ppl. :) That out to get ya off to a decent start.

But watch the politics tho, who you chose/start to be friends with will often determine who will be your friend in the future.

LOL Dave... So that could go:

"Make friends, but not necessarily THOSE friends.. maybe you should ask the tavernkeep who are good friends to have that won't screw you over in the end."

Although I totally agree with you. :D

Oh, in terms of actually being potentially helpful, however... a couple pointers that helped me get started:

-Talk to everyone, good, bad, pretty, ugly, NPC, PC, bush, rock, etc.
-Don't think that just cuz you're new you can't be involved, help with the plot of the weekend, and be integral to the good guys winning. You can!
-Do come in with a reason to be there and make an effort to accomplish it.. it gives you something to focus on if/when you feel a little lost for direction. Wanna join a healer's guild, get training, find a home for the winter, develop contacts for your uber-spy network, whatever. Just give yourself that personal focus that will re-center you if you're not sure where to head.
-Combat tip: When in doubt, fall down. It gives you time to figure out if you're still up or not, think about how the effects you just got blasted with should be RPed or effect you, and is a nice little time-out. Ohyeah, and if you SHOULD be down, you're happily already there! :D

Have a great event!

Not sure I want to lay down if I die this weekend. I dont think the ground will be warm, or dry for that matter :D

I'll most likely be brushing up on the rules again. After I NPCed the first time I went out and got the rule book on PDF, so that I could put it on my computer and keep a mobile copy on my IPod Touch. I used the rulebook as a guide to write up my character background.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Well, but go down Christina didn't necessarily literally lie down on the ground. Even in good weather there are many folks who don't do that. You can fall to a crouching position with your head down (not kneeling to be confused with an armor refit) and figure out the above things. And if you figure out hey you didn't take enough damage to be actually bleeding out you can get back up if/when its safe in your surroundings. :) Hence possom'ing...!

Haha Christina your paraphrase of my earlier comment sounds pretty actuate. ;)

- Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't know what that spell is that just hit you, or what it means when someone is swinging "5 paralysis" at you, never hesitate to ask questions; it helps you understand the rules better and helps keep the game running smooth. On that note--
- Know your marshals. Every Alliance game has rules and plot marshals that are there to help you if you have any questions or problems.
- ALWAYS prepare for worst case scenarios.. IG and OOG. ;)

PCing for the first time can be rough, especially in chapters where there are already established groups -- it might seem like you can't find your place in the game as a character. But if that happens, don't let it dishearten you; the new characters and new PCs are JUST as important and integral as the ones who have been around for awhile.

If your first time PCing happens to be at HQ this weekend, it'll be awesome. Ali and the rest of the plot time are going to run a freakin' fantastic event. I'll see you there!

TheSaint said:
Not sure I want to lay down if I die this weekend. I dont think the ground will be warm, or dry for that matter :D

Best advice I can give here :

If you don't have a medical condition preventing it. Fall down. Ham it up a bit. Think extras in old westerns dying and toppling over railings off of buildings. It lends a great deal to immersion, and has the added bonus of being fun. ;)

So my weekend came and went, and I feel I've got lots of work to do with how I RP. Having NPCed twice before I'm slowly getting the sword skills down I hope by the third time I PC I'll at least have a better grasp on RPing. I had a ton of fun playing at HQ. Working with Balls in the tavern, taking orders, introducing myself was all a good start but I think I could be better.

As for dying, well I did go down a few times...like 5, for the last couple of deaths on Sunday I took to the ground in dramatic fashion..then again it was nice out on Saturday and the rocks werent cold and wet. :D

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Back