Helping to curb the OOG chatter, Every one needs to pitch in

So I know that its an ongoing issue with some people, and even more so for those that come from other games. But only real way to curb the issues is to address it, and fix it. So heres my Idea. Use this Thread to come up with ways/names/change of word when it comes to OOG chatter. Say Carriage instead of Car. Say Hobling Weed instead of cigerattes. Say Power instead of level.

Lets pull together as a group and come up with a list of words and ways we can HELP curb OOg chatter IG, This also includes the ever fun, but super lazy Saterday night fire chat. :) (one i am guilty of. )

As they come in Ill try and edit this post for all to see.

You guys rock!

List so far:
Car/Plane= Steam Dragon
an event= A gathering
5 or less damage on a swing= 'light hits" (or it hits fairly light)
6-10 damage on a swing "hard hits" (again something similar)
10+ damage "mighty blows/hits"
"Oh yes I'm quite proficient at (tradeskill), I've been studying it for at least (insert tradeskill level) months/years."
Casters could use "Tier" or "Circle" as trade off to lvl. "1st Tier spell" "8th Circle Spell". Tier could represent The arcane climb to power. Circle could represent the the Trees rings of life. just options.

Re: Helping to curb the OOG chatter, Every one needs to pitc

Greats points Dayna. A lot of the conversation could be in game with only a little effort and thought.

And we can help each other when we slip. By politely, gently and nicely point out when someone has drifted into "feral speak". It can happen without being aware, and stopping it early keeps it from drawing everyone around out of game.

Car/Plane= Steam Dragon
an event= A gathering
5 or less damage on a swing= 'light hits" (or it hits fairly light)
6-10 damage on a swing "hard hits" (again something similar)
10+ damage "mighty blows/hits"

"I have not had time to train in the art of (insert skill)l" = I have not spent BP in it yet. You just have to come up with more creative name that describe the skill such as for a Terminate I like to say "remove the threat with one precise strike to the back/spine/kidneys"

"Oh yes I'm quite proficient at (tradeskill), I've been studying it for at least (insert tradeskill level) months/years."

is a fun way to say what level you are in whichever kind of skill you want to put in there. As well, I know Ember and I met on a roleplaying game where you were IC the entire time, one of the most fun things was coming up with IC swears. I know a lot of times I've seen that we actually swear here, but it can be fun to add a little flavour by saying things like, "Gnoll dung", "Son of an Orc", "A pox upon your gypsy hide" and things like that, I know it's something I plan on doing more.

For casters you could say I can cast "ice storm or destroy undead" but don't know anything higher spells than that.

"Tamar plays Pattycake!"

Yep, many a great way to say something In Game. :funny:

We also need to watch, and limit, the number of out of game/time items we allow in the game. I did see on Game-boy being played during a down period at an event this summer! (Gasp!) :zonks:

And I know that I got too casual about hiding my drink cans inside a tankard a few time in September.

Every little bit helps, and gentle reminders when we forget should be accepted with good grace. :roll:

I was forum browsing and saw this. There are a few in genre phrases I use when talking about certain things:

For damage:
You can refer to things such as a dagger blow (1) however certain people swing more than others, so I use spells as indicaters:

I can swing a stone bolt worth of damage (5) or I can swing half a stone bolt worth (2)

For formal, I refer to my levels as books. "I just read the 8th volume of Earthen Formal, and I should have the 11th read by the end of the month" indicating I have Earth 8, while having Earth 11 end of the month.

For normal spells, I refer to things such as "5th, 6th circle of Earth etc".

For skills and level I go by seasons, "I'm about as proficent as 8 seasons of experience" thus being level 8.

I've been studying alchemy for a while, but I'm only 8 seasons worth experienced, I feel in a few more seasons I'll be a Journeymen.

Hope that helps!

In regards to OOG items like cans and food wrappers. I WILL BE THROWING OUT ANY I SEE LAYING ABOUT. Full or empty, it's not hard to hide / cover / change containers. Harlequin wrapped fur around her Chef Boyr'd and said she was eating squirrel. Buy this point, everyone should have a mug of their own to pour their drinks into so there are no cans around. This also helps with keeping the tavern clean and cuts down on the amount of dishes we have to do.

Back