Here's a question for you lawyers out there...

Darkwing

I just read a news story that brought the following scenario to mind:

Say an attorney is defending an accused murderer. In discussing the case with his attorney, the client says, "I want to plead not guilty at trial, but just between you and me, I totally killed that guy, and here's how I did it, etc. Now help me get off scott free!"

What is the attorney legally bound to do?

Edit: I will add to this to make it even more blatant: The defendant describes how he committed the crime, and shows the lawyer the murder weapon, with vicitm's blood on it, etc...

According to Law and Order,

You either continue to present a zealous defence of your client, or submit to be recused from the case

You never lie, and you never allow your client to lie.

I have had that kind of situation come up more than once (not a murder case though). I told my client that I couldn't put him on the stand, and wouldn't lie for him. However, I would work very hard to challenge every piece of evidence the DA offered, and would argue to the jury that they had not proven my client guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

In one case, my client decided to fire me and hire a new attorney, who I am certain he lied to and told the attorney he didn't do it, and then that attorney, not knowing, put the guy on the stand. I should check into that case and find out what happened...

Of course, there are also unscrupulous lawyers who hurt our reputation by lying and putting known liars on the stand.

i think that if you were representing someone and you were going to plead not guilty and their mouth opened and said

I want to plead not guilty but between youand me I....

reach across the table slap your hand over their mouth and tell them you don't want to know

OR....

get a new job

Doesn't the defense have to turn in evidence? Such as the murder weapon? And if they are caught not doing so they can be legally held responsible? I think I remember that happening in a Law and Order case.

You should read Jeffrey Toobins book about the O.J. Simpson murder trial ("The Run of his Life"). It's a great book about the inner workings of the murder trial. Like for example, did you know that O.J.'s attorneys gave him a lie detector test and that he scored in the "extremely deceptive" range? I don't understand the scoring system, but apparently a score of -1 to -5 is considered "deceptive" and he scored a -22!

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drake

Fearless Leader said:
You never lie, and you never allow your client to lie.

Does this extend into a situation like the oone you talked about, as in:

The guy told you he did it and then fired you.

Are you under any responsibility to advise the new attorney or does that violate the attorney-client privilege?

Back