hey all you staff users

I was curious as to how you carry them? Using them as a walking stick is frowned upon but I never see staff holders or anything. Can ya guys help me out?

Using them as a walking stick works fine if you put an extra large crush tip on one end, but the carrying issue is one of many reasons I'll probably never use a staff.

I just prop mine on a shoulder and hold a grip with one hand or carry it horizontally next to me.

Yeah, I just carried it by the bottom grip, so it wasn't dragging on the ground. Mine failed several times because the bottom tip was too wrecked, and I got sick of fixing it... usually only took a few games before it'd get messed up. I've seen taller people put a strap on it and sling it across the torso like a bow, but it'll trip you up and get caught in doorways and on branches eventually.

Having to schlep it around is one of the reasons I've stopped using one. That and it got eaten by NPC camp last fall and I never bothered digging it back out.

One trick I've learned is just adding a little extra "ring" of foam just above the grip(s), which also lets you carry the result in a back sling without trouble. It also lends your hands a bit of protection against someone sliding a weapon down the shaft to rap your knuckles, so bonus!

It can be a mite tough to clear it from the sling, though without some room, so make sure you get your weapon clear before entering tight spaces.

I actually really like carrying a staff around myself so its never really been a problem. Generally one does end up using it as a walking staff, it just natural. I find as long as you have atleast one crush tip thats a bit extra roomy it will absorb a little abuse well and only need replacement once a year. If it makes it through a season and needs replacement in the off season that does not seem bad to me as we should all be reviewing and repairing weapons anyway. Also if you are taller it may not be that hard to get used to walking naturally with it but never let it actually touch the ground. I often find myself doing that or simply resting it on my shoulder. The holding it at the center and horizontally at your side is not bad but in the end you will inevitable end up poking someone in the jibbly bits with it. Finally for strapping it to your back, I am 6*5 and feel like its too big for me when strapped on my back, feels too wide and bumps a lot of things. I am sure this is a mileage may vary sort of thing however.

Don't do this. More than once I've seen staves failed when the marshal picked small gravel or thorns out of the 'bottom' tip. If you -must- lean on a staff, get a latex one, for everyone else's sake.

Will definately keep a close eye out for that. As I said I have keep check on the tip during events and have yet to see any damage or debris issues, but than again I often do the walking with it naturally but keeping it 6 inches from the ground which works for me as I am tall, but its good feedback for sure.

When I was playing my healer, I would take a long piece of cloth and tie it to both grips. The slack goes in front of me, staff behind. Just watch out going through doors...

I put one end on my foot as I’m walking with it so it’s not on the ground. I’ll also just hold it in the middle and carry it horizontally.

In ancient times, a bo staff and such were used as walking sticks so that they would be readily available if the need came

Not a staff user these days, but when I was I made a cloth tube with some straps attached to it, that slung over my shoulder and attached to my belt. The staff basically hung from behind my left leg and up over my right shoulder. But it let me carry my staff backslung diagonally and not have much issues with door ways. I could pull it one handed with a bit of practice, and it was possible to put back on my back by myself but much easier with help.

In ancient times, a bo staff and such were used as walking sticks so that they would be readily available if the need came
Which is all well and good for ancient staff usage. Really now though I’m more worried about protecting the intrigety of the latex weapon.

Back