Hey! I'm making a lot of posts cuz I'm excited and I like all of you! But this is for weapon makers.

Drakenfist

Any tips for crossbows? I would like to make a small one possibly, and some things I would like to know.

Is there a minimum size?

I know it has to be completely made of foam. If you have one, how did you do it?

Do any of you have tutorials?

Note: I know I'm making a lot of posts lately, but I'm excited and trying to boost activity a bit. Also, many of these things are things I'm coming up with for my character, but I can't find enough help elsewhere. Thanks in advance!

Crossbows are made with all foam, no core.

They're all basically a T. You've got two parts. The stock and the cross part. As long as you can get something resembling a T you should be good.

I've only made one, it was a heavy X-bow for the base 4 damage. I used layered camp foam to get a nice box-y stock. Then shaved/rounded the edges to how I wanted. For the Cross part, I cored out a hole in the stock, thread some large Pipefoam through and notched the foam so I could tape it into a curve.
Duct tape everything and design away.

Overall it was a really frustrating process. I hadn't worked with campfoam much. If I had to do it again, I'd make a minimum sized one, out of Pipefoam. You can't block with them, so any weapon hit on the bow you take, so I think a smaller one would be best. With cut pipefoam, I think you could get a nice T shape, and hang it off your belt. Maybe using a Full piece as the stock/handle and maybe 120 degrees of a piece for the crosspart.

Keep on posting.

Let us know how it's going!

-Joe

Back