Hey, long time!

Tom

It's been a while since you have heard from me. I can't remember what got me thinking about NERO again, but I figured I'd say hi.

My new job is going well for me, and I am becoming increasingly convinced that it was the right choice for me. I haven't saved any drowning babies yet, but I'm working on it. I found out that I have a natural talent for helming, meaning steering the ship when we are underway. Also for using handguns, and splicing rope. In fact, all the jobs that require manual dexterity. Hmm, all these years of Foam Combat paying off? I still get yelled at by Chief, but less and less now. I think I'm starting to get into the swing of things here. Maybe. Regardless, it's pretty stressful and hectic, but nothing I can't handle with a little sweat.

I found out a little more about the Marine Science Technitian rating.
Apparently, it's more than just environmental work and meteorology. There is lots of Law Enforcement involved. And, of course, anyone involved in LE missions needs to be Boarding Team Member qualified. BTM school is pretty much police officer training: Meaning we have to know how to use firearms, learn basic hand-to-hand combat, and get sprayed with pepper spray to see if we're man enough. This MST rating that I've been going for is turning out to be more bad *** than I had originally believed. We'll see if I'm up to the cut.

No word yet on wether I'll be commissioned as an officer. The high ASVAB scores and college degree are but prerequisites. There is no ticket into Officer Candidate School, and so far, I have yet to impress Chief. I still might get in, just not next week is all I'm saying. It'll be a long road. Besides, I don't want to zoom past MST too quickly.

Anyway, I put in for some leave in late March. If it goes through, I will be returning to Seattle soon, for a few days. Hopefully, I will see some of you at Sakura Con. I don't know if I'll go to the whole thing, but I do hope to drop by. I'll be wearing the same Fire Emblem costume from last year, depicted to the left. No time to make a new costume, plus I put WAY too much time in it to wear it only once.

I really miss beating up my friends with a foam stick. Man, those were some good times. Maybe some of you want to get together when I return for some practice. I don't so much want to role play. I just want to spar.

Anything new going on over there? I have this feeling that I've missed a lot. I'd love to hear it!

-Seaman T.V. Withers

-(aka Puddle Pirate Tom)

-(Arr!)

Back