Hi. I'm a newbie. Hi. Hi. Help?

Hullo, LARPers! I'm currently in search of a cool username to use here but until then just call me... I dunno.... how 'bout "Phil". Sure. Never been called Phil before.

Anyway, from what I've seen so far, I think LARPing's definitely something I'd like to try. I never really got a chance to do DnD or any of that stuff as a kid, but I figure if I don't start soon, I never will! I've also recently been introduced to some costuming groups*cough cough*furries*cough cough*and I absolutely love being my own character. So.... that's good!

But- my problem is.... well, uh.... I'm just not sure where to start. Is there a "welcome" page somewhere around that could tell me a bit about how to get involved in this? I kind of just bumbled my way into this forum and I really don't know what's going on. So... any help would be appreciated!

Also, I'm just throwing this idea out there, but there's a meet this weekend, right? I'd possibly be up for coming by for a little while to check it out. I'm studying at NIU in DeKalb right now so MacQueen Forest Preserve isn't too far away. I mean, I doubt I'd have the time to come up with a character before then and learn the rules and stuff but I could at least get an idea of what goes on.

Anyway, I'm hoping to join this... whole... uh... adventure thing sometime soon! Please help me if you can. And thank you muches!

As luck would have it you are indeed correct, we do have an event this weekend. While you mention you don't have a character ready that's ok, you can always NPC, which is a non-player character. NPCing allows you to experience various styles of play, RP a little and get into the world more. It's actually a lot of fun, so much fun in fact I've been doing it in Chicago for 3 years now!

We'd love to have you come down, even if it's only for a day. The benefit of NPCing is you also get gobbies, which you can use to add experience to a potential character so you'd start more powerful/skilled than if you started as a PC.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email our extremely mild mannered owner Paul Foisy at Waysidenero@gmail.com.

- Ryan

And just in case this doesn't come up in your talks with Paul or anything, we have recently switched the site from MacQueen to Hoover Forest Preserve in Yorkville. Here's the full address, Hoover Forest Preserve Kendall County at 11285 West Fox Road, Yorkville, IL. Hopefully the change in location doesn't stop you from coming to check out the game. :D

Laters,
Ranee

Hi Phil! I'm a newbie too, come join me and be an NPC! I have no idea what to expect, but I bet it'll be fun, and I'm looking forward to learning about the game from the inside. (I've already read the Rulebook but theory and practice are way different.) Your 'costuming group' experience might be really useful for playing a Sarr or Wylderkin, and I can guarantee you won't be the only one there! ;) Oh, if you follow the Rulebook link, there's a bunch of other information on that site that I found pretty useful, you probably will too. Like the "Advice for Newbies" and "Typical Event".

Hope to see you there!

Whoo.... well, I'll try to read as much of the rulebook as I can... :zonks: I'm probably going to stop by for several hours on Saturday. Right now, all I'm prepared to do is just showing up and seeing what happens.

Back