Hi! I'm new!

Dee End'Oh

Hello!
I am Dee! I am new! A friend from the Midwest said your chapter would be a great one for me to check out! And as I have not Larped in a while, but used to! I hope you can help me get started :3
Had a few questions though...
  • There's a lot of different posts and pages for the "rulebook".. but ...where's the current one?
  • How do I get a login to the CMA? Or is that for super secret chapter stuff?
  • I want to buy your season pass!... but does it cover food as well? What the cost of event covers isn't listed... can you clarify for me what is included with the event costs?
  • Where are your events held!? Can I find an address somewhere for navigations?!
  • What are race packets? Do I need to read these?
  • ... is it ok for me to join your chapter if I'm new?
  • Do your camp/sites allow for campfire cooking/ propane? (I may or may not bring a fryer for turkey legs bweheheh)
Thanks for humoring me!!
Hope to play with you all this spring/summer!
~Dee

• There's a lot of different posts and pages for the "rulebook".. but ...where's the current one?
  • How do I get a login to the CMA? Or is that for super secret chapter stuff?
  • I want to buy your season pass!... but does it cover food as well? What the cost of event covers isn't listed... can you clarify for me what is included with the event costs?
  • Where are your events held!? Can I find an address somewhere for navigations?!
  • What are race packets? Do I need to read these?
  • ... is it ok for me to join your chapter if I'm new?
  • Do your camp/sites allow for campfire cooking/ propane? (I may or may not bring a fryer for turkey legs bweheheh)
  • https://alliancelarp.com/rule-book/ is the current primary rulebook, there is an ongoing playtest as well with "2.1" rules, found at https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/2-1-rules-update-alpha-release.42516/ as a new player primarily focus on the primary rulebook as the alpha test stuff will be changing and predominantly effects crafting.
  • https://db.alliancelarp.com/ is the CMA log in, I believe you can make a new account via that link- if not send me a PM and we will get you sorted out.
  • Event fees along with Season Passes cover 3 meals on Saturday of normal event weekends.
  • Event locations vary and the site addresses will be posted clearly with each event's registration thread
  • Race packets are handy guides to help you immerse deeper into the race your playing their are national and local variations. Think of it as big overview followed up by local flavor. Read them if you want! But everything you need to know is in the primary rulebook.
  • We love new players so come on out!
  • Campfire cooking is allowed, NO propane however.
Just a few quick responses before I start my day, I encourage you to join the discord! https://discord.gg/TM36TYj4 and or email newplayer@chicagoalliancelarp.com

OH Awesome!! I didn't know you guys had a discord!! I couldn't really find like... a sticky post for this stuff! LARP HOW I FIND?!
Thank you so much for your help!! I'll go and make an account and see you all on discord hopefully!

I mean there's a "new players start here" thread, but it's all over the place and outdated.

For Chicago I was curious about the
Hey newbies! Here's our contacts, Here's our race packets and the rules we use, here's the locations we hold events at, and here's what the cost of an event usually gets you!

All that in a nice easy to find place.... cool website incoming when?
hahah!

Thank you for being so helpful, I really appreciate it! Now I gotta read the rules and figure out what kind've character I wanna be!
Would love to see updated race packets though.. I was looking and the ones y'all have listed... they have races that dont exist in the rulebook so I was a bit confused.
~Dee

I’m new ish too and have thought of making a mini “this helped me!” Brochure at some point but instead I’ll just post a couple things I would have thought helpful and to highlight:

1. The biggest rule to know is “HOLD”. It stops everyone and you freeze and if able drop to a knee. It happens usually if someone is hurt.

2. The white headband means a person is out of game (oog) so treat them like they aren’t there or join them in oog ness or ask if they remember they are wearing it (hehe)

3. And orange headband is a page for NOT hit them - they have oog reasons for avoiding contact

4. NO DEET! This bug spray is deadly to one of the players - he has extra none deet bug spray if you need it.

5. Wear good shoes. Bring extra if they get wet!

6. You can re-roll a character after your first event so if you want to change you can - a lot of people recommend being an NPC (these are like the monsters/players/story characters) for you first event. If you do NPC you just wear a lot of black and get given costumes

7. You can borrow weapons from monster camp - monster camp is the NPC camp

8. Dress for the weather!

9. Have fun!!! Ask around everyone is sooo nice and if they can’t help you- usually they can point someone else out that can

My packing list which is personal but I had it saved so thought I would share:

Costumes:
Friday arrival outfit and pjs
Other days costume (2 changes underneath in case super sweaty)
clean pjs
Sewing kit to fix broken costume
Socks
Underwear
Bras
Jewelry if goes with
Ukulele and strap (other “bard” supplies)
Shoes - extra shoes in Case dirty-
shower sandals
Go home outfit
Towel
Washcloth
Wipes
Hand sanitizer
Masks (maybe costume mask?)
Boffer (may not be code so get checked)
Bow and packets
Belt/backpack
Toiletries
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Glasses/contacts/ extra contacts/sunglasses
Hat/ ponytail holders
Hair stuff -
Shampoo
Soap
Lotion
Brush
Makeup
Deodorant
Mouthwash
First aid/meds/ice pack
Cooler with water/drinks/snacks
Flashlight
Battery pack/Charger/iPhone
Water proof baggy
Laundry bag
Sleeping bag/Pillow/Sheet in case hot
Bug spray - no deet/sunscreen/ anti itch/peppermint
Freeze some water bottles
Crafty stuff I want for downtime
Rule book/pen
Money to pay for event if not already PayPal
Earphone/plugs
Handfan
Reusable water bottle
Rain gear ( poncho- boots?)
Chair/blanket for sitting in grass
Toilet paper/tissues/Paper towels
Tenting stuff
Wagon so I don’t have to carry far
Stuff I told people I would bring
Tenting stuff if camping out
If cold: coat/gloves/hand warmers/hat/ scarf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only saw socks on there once. What I told my son for his first game joining us:

“So you think you packed enough socks? You’re wrong go pack more”.

Before I even double checked for him. But for a normal weekend, Friday-Sunday I typically have 10 pairs packed

OK! Also just learned someone has a peppermint allergy too so no to spraying that - and someone has a tea allergy so dont bring powdered matcha! (I may be the only one that needs to be told that but just in case!)

I found out about the mint allergy the hard way. I now have a cursed bar of soap that has proved deadly to both Chicago and X-Roads.

Back