High Magic Earth Aura in a Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
A golem is unable to be given the Earth Blade spell. In the same vein, would/should they be ineligible for the High Magic ability as well?

I would say it's the extension of your magic not the body. I would say that the High Magic ability would work as its not a Healing Spell at that point.

Upvote 0
They can't be given an Earth Blade because Earth Blade is in the Healing effect group, which golems are immune to. The High Magic ability is not a Healing effect, I would have no problem with it being used by an Earth formalist in a golem. I also don't see a real balance problem with it, as it's pretty much an edge case at this point.

Upvote 0
They can't be given an Earth Blade because Earth Blade is in the Healing effect group, which golems are immune to. The High Magic ability is not a Healing effect, I would have no problem with it being used by an Earth formalist in a golem. I also don't see a real balance problem with it, as it's pretty much an edge case at this point.

I should clarify that the reason for my post is less mechanical and more spirit of the rules than anything. I'm aware that it's mechanically legit, but I can perceive why some people could see it as cheese. So I was looking more for. "Spirit" interpretations than mechanical ones.

Upvote 0
After rereading High Magic, I think they are on the body as they disappear after resurrection. That makes me change my stance to: No you cannot use this in a golem as its part of the body.

Upvote 0
It emulates a ritual effect that persists on the body and extends to all weapons they employ, similar to the Celestial equivalent of Elemental Aura High Magic. To that end, since it is emulating a ritual effect, I believe you can use High Magic Earth Aura while Spirit Stored in a Golem.

Edit to add: Besides, if someone has enough Celestial and Earth magic (formal) to have both a High Magic Spirit Store and High Magic Earth Aura I would say they have earned that ability. That person sacrificed a lot by investing so heavily in dual-school casting, so reaping the High Magic rewards from both schools seems totally legit, to me.

Upvote 0
After rereading High Magic, I think they are on the body as they disappear after resurrection. That makes me change my stance to: No you cannot use this in a golem as its part of the body.

After reading the High Magic section, I think the passage is badly written. I think most of the High Magic abilities are supposed to carry through resurrection, which the exception of the ones that state they're on the caster's body (Cloak and Bane). I submitted a clarification request to ARC because of this.

Upvote 0
That seems fair. But it does state that all high magic effects expire upon resurrection unless otherwise specified. Cloak and Bane just specifically state the effects are on the body.

I agree it is confusing.

Upvote 0
That seems fair. But it does state that all high magic effects expire upon resurrection unless otherwise specified. Cloak and Bane just specifically state the effects are on the body.

I agree it is confusing.

Bolded the part that makes me think it's badly written, since not a single High Magic ability otherwise specifies.

Upvote 0
I believe that was written that way as a hedge against the possibility that future high magic effects might specify otherwise. It's actually not badly written, just currently superfluous. I'm not 100% on that though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back