High Ogre Popularity

Draven

Count
I like High Ogres as a race, but I feel like they don't get a lot of play, primarily because of the tusks. I suspect the facial makeup also plays a part, but that doesn't stop Kin from getting players.

Thoughts?

If this is kinda widespread, maybe it's worth proposing some kind of change to owners to encourage greater diversity.

High Orcs have Tusks, and see some play. So not sure it is only that. But likely a big factor in it

Personally for me, I would never do a tusk race, it seems terrible.

Honestly, I love High Ogres (was my first character), but their national race packet is... pretty bad and could use a re-work.

My main is currently a high ogre and a blast to play. Locally we have a couple high ogres and we all use a leather chin strap with tusks, it looks good and makes having tusks painless.

I think both high orcs and high ogres suffer from being more primitive, tribal mind sets for lack of a better short description and are less popular do to a combination of that and the makeup/tusks. Locally we have more ogres then orcs as a note.

Honestly, I love High Ogres (was my first character), but their national race packet is... pretty bad and could use a re-work.
If we're being honest, most of the national race packets could use a refresh.

I've been playing my High Ogre Spellsword (GRONK) on and off for something like 6 years, initially just as a secondary I'd play once or twice each year, then as my main character for my secondary chapter, and then as my main character altogether. The tusks are definitely a deterrent - there was one event I couldn't play GRONK because of recent dental work, and I eventually gave up on the friendly plastic tusks in favor of a leather mini-mask so I wouldn't have any junk in my mouth.

I only played him once or twice last year but that's largely because I tend to get bored playing the same character for too long and decided to pull out a Stone Elf instead. I really enjoy big make-up races so I'm probably a little bit of an outlier.

Locally we have more ogres then orcs as a note.
Some is more than none!

We have 3 High Ogres, and 7 high orcs in Utah. And the plot for them is intense... we love our "wild races"

Do they tend to use masks with external tusks?

Do they tend to use masks with external tusks?

"Bubbles", "Bloodweaver", "Woundhauler" and "Monarch" all wear tusks in their mouth. "Bones", "Roach", "Ripper", "Dry Rot", "Specter", and "Wraith" all have chin straps. Huh... we have 10 wild races... oops

My alt is a high orc and I love playing him, for 1 night events. I've made tusks and are on for the 1 nighters, but wouldn't be able to wear them all weekend, my teeth get sore, my lips get dry, and I drool alot.

What do other Orc or Ogre races do for tusks that are actually comfortable??

Calgary has 1 Ogre who wears more of a mask than in mouth tusks, and no main campaign orcs. We did have 1 but they just race changed.

Most MN and Chicago folks use the leather chin tusks that I make for their Orcs/Ogres, and I've made several sets that our NPC camp uses. The pictured ones don't have the elastic attached yet (white elastic, colored using makeup to match the facial color), but you get the gist of them. Easy to wear/remove, don't mess with your dentistry, allow for clear speech, durable, and don't make you all drooly.

Back