High Orc vs. High Ogre

OrcFighterFTW

Spellsword
Hello,

I'm creating my first PC with Alliance and I am wondering what people's opinions or experiences are with playing a High Orc vs. a High Ogre. How often are both races played, which is preferred more, and how are they different other than what is stated in the rulebook about Necromancy? Are there any unwritten rules or general assumptions about either of these races that I should know?

I have played a High Orc Fighter for a while with my friends at my college and greatly enjoy it, but I am leaning toward creating a High Ogre Earth Scholar who would fight undead primarily with Earth battle magic. I'd start by using a simple defensive weapon (Staff) and then build up on spells, taking a couple Resist Necromancy at some point. Any thoughts about this?

Looking forward to responses...

*edit for change in fighting style

Hrm, I'm first to the scene huh?

Lets see, as to what I've seen in game, I've seen a good number of high orcs, very well played at that, but I've never seen a high ogre in game yet (not even an npc...) Must be something about yellow skin. I've always seen high orcs kind of like the fraternity brothers of Alliance. Always willing to fight, loud and alway happy to brag about their conquests. With this comes brotherhood though, that vast majority of high orcs will go out of their way to help other high orcs and they will generally work with each other.

High Ogres are far more primal, much closer intune with nature and willing to duel over any infraction against them. This doesn't mean they can't hold themselves to a higher standard when dealing with the 'silly' rules of other races.

Ultimately you may want to take a look at any chapter specific information, histories etc. before making a decision. I have it on good authority that Southern Minnesota's Players handbook is due out by the end of this weekend and will available for downloading on their website.....

Thanks for that insight! I'm almost tempted to be a High Ogre just to stand out in the crowd, haha.

Also, I've been reading other forum posts about armor requirements and needing actual full plate, so I may not want to be a fighter class after all, as I'd only be able to get a max of 12 points with my current equipment.

At this point, pre-racial packet, I'm leaning more towards High Ogre Earth Scholar. I'll have to figure out how he learned how to read and write though.

Every PC culture has -some- people who can read and write, or else they'd never be able to learn magic and heal/resurrect people. It may not be terribly prominent in some races though. Your clan/tribe leader might have taught you. Maybe he/she saw some promise in you as a great undead hunter and took you under their wing... just an idea.

You may well be the only high ogre in your chapter. We have a few out here but they're certainly not highest played race either. Standing out in a crowd can be fun. And who knows - if your costume and RP are top notch you may get some company. I've seen it several times where one person plays a less-popular race and does such a good job of it that others want in on the fun as well and create new characters.

I decided to be a High Ogre as I want to do more spell-casting and healing rather than front-line combat. This major difference helped form the decision for which race I want to play. My character history directly involves the local player packet information and this resource was also significant in my decision.

Thanks for the help!

Now my User ID is going to confuse people, haha oh well.

That's why you pick random un-alliance related ones like mine... and confuse everyone. ^_^

Back