Hobbling 'burns

Vila

Up until now I've been growing sideburns for events as my hobbling (I have fast growing facial hair and can usually grow decently thick sideburns in a week), darkening them with makeup and thickening my eyebrows. I'm now told I have to wear an actual prosthetic (yay!).

So whatever, I need to get a good prosthetic. I am not at all arts'n'crafty so something premade that is easy to put on and isn't a pain in the *** would be nice.

Any suggestions? Links?

Thanks!
Todd (aka Vila Findger)

House of Humor has some good theater grade hair attachments. Their Fu stache in particular made me contemplate a dwarf for about 5 minutes.

Has anyone played with Hobbling sideburns attached to something, like a hat, to put on and off easily. I am coming from a Sarr, and would really like to be able to get into/out of character easily. A friend had them attached to a bowler hat, and that seemed to work well. Hat's just don't look good on me. I was thinking perhaps sunglass frames, worn backwards? Not sure how they would look.

-Joe

You actually don't have to darken your eyebrows any longer, if I'm correct, though someone will have to verify that for me since I'm sitting at work and not in front of a rule book.

For my hobling's sideburns, I have always used trimmed faux fur (which you can get at Jo Ann's or any similar craft store). It's got a pretty durable backing you can apply larpex or spirit gum to with.

But what that wacky paladin said. Don't apply fake sideburns to real sideburns. Adhesive on hair =/= fun.

youthculture said:
You actually don't have to darken your eyebrows any longer, if I'm correct, though someone will have to verify that for me since I'm sitting at work and not in front of a rule book.

For my hobling's sideburns, I have always used trimmed faux fur (which you can get at Jo Ann's or any similar craft store). It's got a pretty durable backing you can apply larpex or spirit gum to with.

But what that wacky paladin said. Don't apply fake sideburns to real sideburns. Adhesive on hair =/= fun.

Depends upon how long the hair is. I have a good 3-12 days of stubble usually on weekends & spirit gum being pulled off is not too bad when compared with shaving dry with a dull razor.

go to your fabric stor and get a small amount of fake fur that matches your color of hair. Then hit up a house of hurmor type store (any place that sells latex). On a piece of paper draw 1 side burn. Cut this out and draw the design on the back of the fur. flip over the cut out and draw again. Ct these two side burns out and apply latex to the back. You will need to do this a good number of times to get a good backing. Once all dry trim the fur to the right length on the front. Now you have easy to apply side burns. Just a bit of spirit gum will do the trick. These work well will take a beating and can clean up with a good wash and air dry.

tolgar undershaft said:
go to your fabric stor and get a small amount of fake fur that matches your color of hair. Then hit up a house of hurmor type store (any place that sells latex). On a piece of paper draw 1 side burn. Cut this out and draw the design on the back of the fur. flip over the cut out and draw again. Ct these two side burns out and apply latex to the back. You will need to do this a good number of times to get a good backing. Once all dry trim the fur to the right length on the front. Now you have easy to apply side burns. Just a bit of spirit gum will do the trick. These work well will take a beating and can clean up with a good wash and air dry.

This worked very well for me making sideburns for an npc.

LOL shoot todd I did not even realise the post was from you. Let me see if I have some extra fur bits already cut out. I was going to make some to donate but never got around to finishing that project. If I can find them by this sat I will bring them to game.

Parrott

I've always kept my sideburns bushy in the pre-game week, then just shortened them (just enough so they come down only halfway down my cheek) and stuck on some fake ones with duct tape. It's kind of a pain to find non-black sideburns, but some stores sell brown ones.

Back