how common is rifting?

Robb G

Baron
how bad *** of a bad guy do you have to be to be able to rift? are there bad guy rifting magic items? could a low-mid level npc necromancer somehow have learned to rift?

Depends on the chapter, and not to be a head covering for a posterior, but that's really the kinda thing you should inquire about IG.

i was actually writing mods and was going to incorporate a character that could do that. but thanks anyway, guess i'll talk to the chapter plot folks.

Rifting is incredibly powerfull and thus almost impossible to just "learn or pick up a rifting magic item".

That said,

Its a world of magic and fantasy, anything is possible given a bit of backstory. If it serves the story you should let it happen just make sure to add some sort of plausible reason why he got such (plausible need not mean likely). Maybe the guy was rifted to some plane of magic and somehow found a crystal that spirit locked itself to him that allows him to rift or he tricked a DracoLiche into it and was rewarded with the knowledge. Have fun with it and know that the more work you put into an npc the more it comes to life when you play it and people will enjoy the mod that much more.

I'd be interested to see the final product if you want to forward it along to me.

Pfoisy@gmail.com
PS: Spirit Recall and Circle Walk are also good options if you want to stick to something a bit closer to what "normal folks" could do.

thanks, what i really want is just some mechanic to get the bad guy out of there fast without the PCs being able to kill him. not sure i know much about what Spirit Recall and Circle Walk do. if you could enlighten me here or via PM (if people are not supposed to know this stuff) perhaps one of those would be more suited to this mod. thanks!

Robb Graves said:
thanks, what i really want is just some mechanic to get the bad guy out of there fast without the PCs being able to kill him. not sure i know much about what Spirit Recall and Circle Walk do. if you could enlighten me here or via PM (if people are not supposed to know this stuff) perhaps one of those would be more suited to this mod. thanks!

Have you never met Hadley? That boy is a Spirit Recall ninja. (And he's a big fat blubberpuck) Spirit recall lets you teleport back to the circle you cast it in with a 3-count, but you drop all non-Spirit Linked items.
-toddo

hmm.. that might be perfect. since that mechanic would allow the PCs to loot whatever the bad guy had on him as treasure since they didn't get the joy of killing him.

Sorry, without perspective on where the question originated didn't know if this was a "Can I make my bad guy do this?" or a "Hey I saw bad guys do this last weekend, any chance I can find a way to do this too?" kinda topic of discussion. I'd definitely get with the Head of Plot for whichever chapter you're writing for and tell em what you're looking to be able to do and ask em if they have a "preferred mechanic" for you to use on the guy. They may even want to tie it in to some other major plot arc in some minor way, or they may just have a thing against certain effects being used for whatever reason like "In our chapter Rifting is a Fae-only ability". But yes, there are a couple of ritual-type effects that could work as well, and I'm sure the HoP will fill you in on all of em.

Also, if you're writing a mod/arc/whatever make sure you work out a contingency plan for if the baddie gets captured. If it's possible for PCs to stop something they usually will, as we saw in HQ this past event when you guys captured Reidic. :)
-toddo

Or when the PCs kept a baddie in a ditch for 6 hours... hidden from NPC camp and plot.

Spirit recalls are cool because it's a ritual that (thoretically) anyone could have on them. And it could be cool if your PCs could somehow find out where said bad guy is recalling to, when it's time for him to get eradicated.

Scott used to play a BBG who would turn to blue energy or something . Maybe he could lend you that mechanic or something? The problem is if you're bad guy can only use the skill 1/day good players will capture it. Unless the BBG is in a circle of power...

Also going gaseous is niece. Not to mention gives anyone with Solidify spells a chance to feel really useful. ;) Going gaseous doesn't seem "quite" so powerful and if the situation looks really bad for the BBG they can Spirit Recall away from a gaseous form, since it doesn't stop them from using game abilities I believe.

P.S. Spirit Recall, and Spirit Walk are both pretty cool ways to "teleport". And don't require more magic than PC's themselves actually have access to. And like you said, both would mean they'd drop their loot.

James Trotta said:
Scott used to play a BBG who would turn to blue energy or something . Maybe he could lend you that mechanic or something? The problem is if you're bad guy can only use the skill 1/day good players will capture it. Unless the BBG is in a circle of power...

Actually, that wasn't an escape mechanism, it was what happened when he went to rezz.

Scott

My memory is playing tricks on me. I thought I remembered Mithrauko doing that when he wasn't even in combat. It was a long time ago.
Duke Frost said:
James Trotta said:

Actually, that wasn't an escape mechanism, it was what happened when he went to rezz.

Scott
Anyway, if the BBG casts a circle of power and then spirit walks or recalls or something you're golden. Gaseous form is a great idea if you don't mind the PCs solidifying the BBG and having their way with him.

gaseous form is a neat idea because i don't know any PCs who memorize solidify. so it's one of those cases where they will be kicking themselves.... or... if one of them happenes to have a solidify, it might be worth it to let them kill the bad guy just for being the only one to have the solidify.

Dreamingfurther said:
P.S. Spirit Recall, and Spirit Walk are both pretty cool ways to "teleport". And don't require more magic than PC's themselves actually have access to. And like you said, both would mean they'd drop their loot.

Actually, no.

Spirit Walk will allow them to take all of their possessions and can target as many people as you can fit in the circle. They can go to any circle that the primary target has seen.

Spirit Recall will only allow one target to take spirit linked and spirit locked items and basic clothing. This ritual allows the target to return to the circle in which the ritual was cast.

IIRC, some of the larger extra planer creatures have the ability to rift and/or gate, which could allow an NPC to hitch a ride with them in that manor.

tieran said:
Dreamingfurther said:

Actually, no.

Spirit Walk will allow them to take all of their possessions and can target as many people as you can fit in the circle. They can go to any circle that the primary target has seen.

Spirit Recall will only allow one target to take spirit linked and spirit locked items and basic clothing. This ritual allows the target to return to the circle in which the ritual was cast.

Ah your right. I should have remembered that Spirit Walk will take all possessions as well... ;) And anyways setting up a CoP can sometimes take far more time than a BBG has to get away.

Spirit Recall is a great "getaway" that the PC's could learn to foil if they learn the location of the Limited CoP he is recalling to. And it gives them the loot. You could have a two part "getaway" play. First he goes gaseous and starts to walk away slowly with the stuff. Then if he gets solidified and you really want him to get away unless the totally pound him down in the time it takes to finish a 3 count he can Recall dropping the precious loot. :)

Alternately, if your mod boss isn't powerful enough to (or just can't) rift, he could have a friend who can. The friend can pop in at the last second and snatch the boss before the PCs finish him off. Bad guy teamwork is fun. ;)

May I suggest bending the realm of possibility? Perhaps coming up with a special escape mechanism the players have not seen before. Maybe he can burrow like a mole, maybe she can fly? Get creative and see if it gets approval.

Peace,

Justin

Back