How far will your character go?

Polare

Count
Something I came up with in a rules thread made me want to expand the discussion here.

We constantly work with two conflicting goals when we play. On the one hand, we as players really want to play a fun game that is fair and balanced in its rules (hopefully, that's what we want anyway!). This requires people to play in the spirit of the rules and not "take the piss" as our British friends would say -- purposely trying to break the gameworld because of a loophole in the rules.

In some ways, though, this directly conflicts with what our characters want. Our characters are living in a world where we regularly make life or death decisions. Our characters have access to a range of abilities that we do not. This makes for a very blurry line between how far your character will go and where you as a player are purposely bending the rules to see how far they will twist.

Let me give a few examples. With the new rules, Polare will pretty much never memorize an Awaken. Shun is far superior -- I can "awaken" any of my allies from a Command effect or use it against an enemy. As a character, I see this as taking whatever steps are necessary to preserve my life and that of my friends. Out of game, though, I can see how this falls in the blurry area of the rules. It's not nearly so bad as some things I've seen, but it's not something that I can say for sure was intended.

So that example isn't so bad in the end. But let's go a bit deeper.

In a combat, Polare is hit by an enemy Dominate spell in a situation where this likely means his death. Before the enemy issues him a command, Polare quickly Dominates himself and orders himself to 'return to normal'. According to the strict letter of the rule, this is legal and Polare is all good. On an out of game basis, though, I'd say that it violates the intention of the rule by a much wider margin than the above example. But Polare would likely have been killed in the above example. Isn't that the type of thing he would have spent the time between events trying to figure out? Or what about figuring out exactly how much space is needed to make a room a "room" for the purposes of a Ward (see the latest rules thread)? Etc. etc.

Personally, I try to fall on the "better" side of that blurry line. When the hubbub about my sword physrep came up, I had no problem getting it to a white background -- the reason I wanted it as a black/red background was for in-game character reasons, not so I could hide it or make it appear a non-magic weapon (I can stick it under my cloak easy enough for that). But where do your characters fall? How far would your character go to avoid death? What situations have you found yourself in where you have to weigh the OOG concerns of "is this really in the spirit of the rule?" against the IG concerns of your character's life?

-Bryan

Polare Lissenstine said:
Something I came up with in a rules thread made me want to expand the discussion here.

We constantly work with two conflicting goals when we play. On the one hand, we as players really want to play a fun game that is fair and balanced in its rules (hopefully, that's what we want anyway!). This requires people to play in the spirit of the rules and not "take the piss" as our British friends would say -- purposely trying to break the gameworld because of a loophole in the rules.

In some ways, though, this directly conflicts with what our characters want. Our characters are living in a world where we regularly make life or death decisions. Our characters have access to a range of abilities that we do not. This makes for a very blurry line between how far your character will go and where you as a player are purposely bending the rules to see how far they will twist.

Let me give a few examples. With the new rules, Polare will pretty much never memorize an Awaken. Shun is far superior -- I can "awaken" any of my allies from a Command effect or use it against an enemy. As a character, I see this as taking whatever steps are necessary to preserve my life and that of my friends. Out of game, though, I can see how this falls in the blurry area of the rules. It's not nearly so bad as some things I've seen, but it's not something that I can say for sure was intended.

So that example isn't so bad in the end. But let's go a bit deeper.

In a combat, Polare is hit by an enemy Dominate spell in a situation where this likely means his death. Before the enemy issues him a command, Polare quickly Dominates himself and orders himself to 'return to normal'. According to the strict letter of the rule, this is legal and Polare is all good. On an out of game basis, though, I'd say that it violates the intention of the rule by a much wider margin than the above example. But Polare would likely have been killed in the above example. Isn't that the type of thing he would have spent the time between events trying to figure out? Or what about figuring out exactly how much space is needed to make a room a "room" for the purposes of a Ward (see the latest rules thread)? Etc. etc.

Personally, I try to fall on the "better" side of that blurry line. When the hubbub about my sword physrep came up, I had no problem getting it to a white background -- the reason I wanted it as a black/red background was for in-game character reasons, not so I could hide it or make it appear a non-magic weapon (I can stick it under my cloak easy enough for that). But where do your characters fall? How far would your character go to avoid death? What situations have you found yourself in where you have to weigh the OOG concerns of "is this really in the spirit of the rule?" against the IG concerns of your character's life?

-Bryan

I have had similar questions about dominate and vampire charm and will be looking into the spirit behind this.

Euphoria

Another bad example.
Euphoria

"Receiving the Antidote will allow for healing up to the victim's maximum amount of body before the Euphoria."

Wow, that means I can hit someone with a euphoria their first event, and keep them from gaining any body. Neat. Not that I would ever do that, but the rules contradict themselves quite nicely there, too.

-Gid
I.R.G.Y.F.

Here's how I generally handle it: if the rules of the universe, as they have been played up to that point, would lead my character to believe that a certain thing will happen, then I would do it as my character. If I, or other marshals, determine that I am using it in both a way that was not intended AND in a way that abuses some poor wording, then I would simply play it as the marshals rule it, then argue for better wording after the event, AND include in my arguement the precedents that led the character to that decision. In-character, I simply continue on with the process of testing the hypothesis as events allow.

For instance, at the past event, I intended to try to rift the dragon up eight miles, then pin myself while in his mouth, etc. All prior uses of the rift ability, both by myself, and other characters/monsters/etc. led Gregor to believe that it should have worked, to whit, anyone touching the rifting out person goes with them. The rules, as worded, also supported that result. Now, as Gregor has painfully realized, this was not the case. From an IC perspective, presumably either a person so touched has the option to refuse being rifted, or this dragon had the nigh-unheard-of ability "Immune to Rift". In either case, I, as a player, roll with it and move on.

The difference, IMO, is to what lengths will you, the player, argue to have a ruling go in your favor, and what actions do you take after the event relating to it? Presenting an arguement (in the classic debate-sense) to a marshal is one thing. Prancing around like a bobbing phallus and insisting on your own righteousness is another.

So, in my opinion, its not a question of how far will a person's character go. If the action is in line with the character's persona and understanding of the universe, then all is good. The question is one of how far will you go?.

jpariury said:
For instance, at the past event, I intended to try to rift the dragon up eight miles, then pin myself while in his mouth, etc. All prior uses of the rift ability, both by myself, and other characters/monsters/etc. led Gregor to believe that it should have worked, to whit, anyone touching the rifting out person goes with them. The rules, as worded, also supported that result. Now, as Gregor has painfully realized, this was not the case. From an IC perspective, presumably either a person so touched has the option to refuse being rifted, or this dragon had the nigh-unheard-of ability "Immune to Rift". In either case, I, as a player, roll with it and move on.

(not on the main topic) Or, you cant rift living things you cant carry?:) (If thats the case, if would have been funny to test it.. first JP has to lift shane.. then the 2 claws(at the same time) and then... all those stone elves. "crunch" )

Polare Lissenstine said:

My personal feelings on things like this is that my character will do what he can to survive. Sometimes this falls into the realm of cheesy. I am willing to repel those casting a magic storm, use cure lights to blow spell shields, use reflects to kill diamond golems, cloak chaos slays, and call no effect to killing blows while prisioned. While some of these things people have no problem with, others may consider cheesy. I consider it survival and using your abilities to their best.

Polare Lissenstine said:

-Bryan

I'm not sure if technically you can do this any more. The last eddition said that you can "act normally" until you are given a command. With the exception of not being able to attack the caster. This sentence is mysteriously missing in this eddition. It does however state that while following commands you are in a trance. If this means that you are in a trance the entire time you would most likely not be capable of giving yourself commands. I haven't seen a ruling on this matter yet. But when it was allowed, I'd awaken myself when I got dominated.
My feeling is that my character would have figured out what can be warded, what can be trapped and how far away from them I should be if I'm going to set them off just as my character can fight to the best of my ability, so long as I'm playing an intelligent character. If I was playing an idiot, I might not know any of that.

Marc

All I know is that Alavatar would try and use any advantage he can to stay alive. If I as a player think a particular rule was cheesy, but it was ruled as legal, my character would use it to his advantage because his life is not one of a written rule book, but instead a life of trial and error. Something happened, he saw someone do something wierd and it worked, so Alavatar would attempt to remember how it was done and try to mimic it if the same situation arose. For instance, I just recently learned that if you're bound/webbed/confined and have a spell-packet in hand you can still cast spells, but if you don't have a spell-packet in hand you can't cast spells. So theoretically you can cast a release or spell shield or reflect magic or something like that if you have a packet in hand, yet if you don't have a packet you can't even grab some from your pouch/pocket. Naturally, Alavatar will nearly always have at least one spell packet in hand as a result.

Uh oh... whoever told you that was wrong ;)

If your arms are bound (magically or otherwise) you can't cast spells. However, you can ACTIVATE items if your mouth is free and you have a spell packet available (and I believe you can OOG get a packet in your hand even if your arm is bound at any time).

-Bryan -- but IANAM ;)

Spirit of the Rules

Ah yes, I read and re-read the section on binding/casting/activating; it's pretty spelled-out.

In terms of using the rules they way their supposed to, I try thinking the way my character would think. OOG, of course I know that this Celestial spells does this, this and this. But IG, I'm a Biata and would probably have little knowledge of Celestial magic. So, even though I might know, my character will still ask questions about it.

I personally did something really dumb that led to one of my character's permanent death. A hugely powerful liche or undead or something was one-by-one executing town members; nobody knew how to stop it yet. It grabbed someone my character, a Wolf Scavie, knew to be really important to the town. So, she literally nipped at the liche's heals until he dropped the person (who was on a death count) and came after her. Unfortunately, he caught her and this led to her perming. I knew it was risky, but it was EXACTLY what my character would have done to protect 'her pack.' I get a lot of comments OOG like "Boy, that was dumb, why'd you do that?" Well, because I know better, but my CHARACTERS don't.

I wouldn't deleibratly try to find loopholes in the rules. I just try to follow them to the best of my abilities. I will look at them very carefully though, if an issue comes about that seems unfair, or is something I don't understand. I don't know how far I would take the rules to keep one of my characters alive, or somebody elses. I only once seriously considered asking that a death be adjucated, and that was with a combing of the section on the spirit of the game, and the functioning of magic items.

The biggest question I've ever had: Does arcane armor cast on an item you are wearing travel through the mists? Responses vary a lot here; many people never heard of an arcane armor that wasn't cast on a person's spirit. It made me wonder if some mistake had been made in getting the item. Case in point: My character travels through the mists, wearing 15pts of arcane armor, along with full body. Character is attacked...Now, IF the armor DID travel, the character would take the damage to the armor, some body, and possum. IF the armor DIDN'T travel, character is now bleeding out. The item tag was lost soon after, so I never did find-out definitively that the armor was LCO. I was told, if it's cast on your SPIRIT, it travels. If it's on an ITEM it doesn't. Does this make sense???

Sometimes, I still feel like a Donut :D

Lyndsay McClain

Lyndsay said:
The biggest question I've ever had: Does arcane armor cast on an item you are wearing travel through the mists? Responses vary a lot here; many people never heard of an arcane armor that wasn't cast on a person's spirit. It made me wonder if some mistake had been made in getting the item. Case in point: My character travels through the mists, wearing 15pts of arcane armor, along with full body. Character is attacked...Now, IF the armor DID travel, the character would take the damage to the armor, some body, and possum. IF the armor DIDN'T travel, character is now bleeding out. The item tag was lost soon after, so I never did find-out definitively that the armor was LCO. I was told, if it's cast on your SPIRIT, it travels. If it's on an ITEM it doesn't. Does this make sense???

Sometimes, I still feel like a Donut :D

Lyndsay McClain

It all depends on what the tag says. If the tag for your arcane armor on your spirit is LCO then it doesnt travel, and if its restricted it only does if the receving chapter lets it (often it does, but sometimes it doesnt). Unless the trip through the mists makes you nude or something, an arcane armor on an item will follow these same rules. LCO/no restricted/most likly.
Now if you die (for example) your item doesnt go to the circle (presumeing no spirit link/lock) but from what I know, the mist should not cause this effect.

Lyndsay said:

Here's a bit of an elaboration of what Phil said:

Any chapter may refuse a magic item or ritual effect from another chapter. If the item or ritual is LCO than the chapter SHOULD not allow it in to their chapter. If it is a RESTRICTED item or ritual than you should show it to the logistics staff when you check in and send it in with your preregistration to allow them to decide if it will be allowed into their chapter. Some chapters have a very strict policy on what items may enter their game and others will allow anything marked RESTRICTED. The location of the ritual (being spirit or physical) has no effect on an item's transferability.
As far as your character goes, I've always been under the impression that any LCO items are identifyable as such by anyone given the chance to inspect them. You MAY chose to have your character assume that his LCO items are transferrable to another chapter though this is not necessary. If you want to run up to the first creature you see and assume that your arcane armor will protect you, you may, though you could walk out and say "Oh, my arcane armor is gone."

Marc

Wow.

Wow, if I had known the technicalities of arcane armor when it all happened, my permed character would still be alive! Probably safer to assume it was a LCO item, though.

Lyndsay

Masticon said:
I'm not sure if technically you can do this any more. The last eddition said that you can "act normally" until you are given a command. With the exception of not being able to attack the caster. This sentence is mysteriously missing in this eddition. It does however state that while following commands you are in a trance. If this means that you are in a trance the entire time you would most likely not be capable of giving yourself commands. I haven't seen a ruling on this matter yet.
Marc

I just checked the board on this one and according to Mike V you must stand there and look stupid until you get a command. You may no longer act normally.

Marc

It does however state that while following commands you are in a trance.

If this is correct, Mike V. would be wrong, If no command has been given then the above statement does not apply. The above statement assumes a command has been given when one has yet to be.
-Daryl

Back