How many PCs have you had in your alliance career?

One ... A gypsy earth scholar I've been playing since 2012 that's around 20th level.

I've always thought of playing a secondary that I travel with, but I haven't thought of a good idea/costuming yet to go for it. Plus, I really really enjoy playing my gypsy. :)

Oh and One since 1995

So, serious question here Gilwing, what do you get out of still continuing to play that character? I mean, what does it have left to do that it hasn't already done? You've got to have long since out-leveled any actual possibility of mechanical enhancement of the character sheet, and there can't be much left that plot can surprise your character with.

That's actually a good question. How do you keep things interesting for a PC after 20 years? How do you prevent things from becoming routine and do you ever get to a point where you become "bored"?

Hoyce, who was your human?
I remember your elf and dwarf (who can forget Kyrel, plummeting down a hole during the low level event to see where it lead?)

He was a human from Mooregrave named Duren. He only lasted about four events because a lot of healers refused to heal him. He was believed to be a necromancers because he was from Mooregrave so he didn't see a problem with it. Ironically he couldn't even read and wouldn't have necro'ed because it is illegal, but that didn't matter. Lol.

Cumulatively, I've had four PCs.
1. Barbarian fighter (sword/board) who I played at HQ (and Xroads, before their move) from 2010 through 2014; she permed last year, and I replaced her with...
2. A different barbarian fighter (2hB)! HQ's new Vakkar packet really caught my eye, as it felt more like the "black metal viking" archetype I'd wanted to play from the start. I am pretty happy to say the new barbarian and the old barbarian have never been confused for one another. I play her at HQ and will be taking her to NH pretty consistently next year.
3. A (male) human potionmaker who I played for a whopping one event and was rendered unplayable within said one event.
4. A wild elf earth scholar who I've been playing consistently at GB since 2013. She is my bread and butter, and remains fun even after accomplishing most of her primary character goals purely because of the intensity of the RP she requires.

Technically 3, although the first one I retired after 4 months because the story supported it, the second lasted about 90 minutes. The third was made after two years of straight NPCing. He's lasted 11 years, but played only about once every 8 months.

The best was that as your Elf we hated each other but then as your Dwarf we were best friends....quiet funny. I love the pics of him on the BF porch and people are like, "is that Hoyce?"

Oh and One since 1995

Yea, ironically my dwarf ended up not caring overmuch for my elf's best friends either. I wish I could say I planned it hat way, but it all happened rather organically! Ha!

I too have a character from 1995, my MWE, however I don't get to play him much as I'm running the game much of the time. I hope to get up to Oregon and Seattle next year to play him. I wish there was a Los Angeles chapter.

So, serious question here Gilwing, what do you get out of still continuing to play that character? I mean, what does it have left to do that it hasn't already done? You've got to have long since out-leveled any actual possibility of mechanical enhancement of the character sheet, and there can't be much left that plot can surprise your character with.

That's actually a good question. How do you keep things interesting for a PC after 20 years? How do you prevent things from becoming routine and do you ever get to a point where you become "bored"?

I've had one playing since either '99 or '00.

I won't speak for Dave, but for me it's a matter of having the character developed. We, as people, don't simply stop doing things when we accomplish a goal. We find a new one.

At this point though, it's more about exploring how he interacts with the world than accomplishing a specific goal.

I've had one playing since either '99 or '00.

I won't speak for Dave, but for me it's a matter of having the character developed. We, as people, don't simply stop doing things when we accomplish a goal. We find a new one.

At this point though, it's more about exploring how he interacts with the world than accomplishing a specific goal.

Ditto.

I'll retire my character from '00 when I feel his story is done. Character game-mechanics advancement is secondary.

With out going into too much detail (I'm on my phone) I agree with Justin/Tieran.
It's also kind of the same response you would give for people that have been married for over x amount of years.

Two. Cael was my first LARP character and perm'd out after about two years of playing him. RIP. Durnic, my MWE, is my current character and I'm having a blast.

Two. My main Barbarian since 2010 and on paper only alt that I've been throwing my monthly and event blankets at for a while now.

I have two, an elf and a biata.

The biata was built second and was only supposed to be my secondary/occasional character, but through a series of events, she is now my primary character. My elf is hanging out until I am ready to play her again.

Four:

- Hobling Scholar, played regularly since my first event in 1996 - this is my traveling character when I hop to other places.
- High Orc Fighter, played from approx. 2002-2008 when he retired to a permanent death from squid faces sucking his brains out.
- Dark Elf Rogue, played regularly since 2006
- Human Templar, played occasionally since 2010

And a blank on the books, but I'm not counting that till I play him at some point.

His human templar is the nicest guy. Super polite.

8, I think? I might be missing one or two:

My first character was an elven rogue. Played him for a year, then moved away.
Next was a dwarven bartender. Played him a few months, then moved again.
Third was a then-gypsy, now-human rogue, then fighter, then rogue, then scholar, then adept, now templar. I haven't played him in a number of years... he's sitting around 30th level.
There was a human scout. Played him a couple months before shelving him.
A dark elf fighter. Played him quite a bit for about a year before putting him aside.
A barbarian scout. Played him a few months, set him aside, might be bringing him out again in the next year or so.
A dwarf rogue. Played him three times, I think? I forget what happened to him.
A hobling rogue. Played him pretty solidly for a while, then moved away.

Back