How to make a bow?

Yea, the thing is without using ultra light to make a stiff polearm you just have to practically make a tree trunk... :? UL polearms rock though!

Dreamingfurther said:
hmm interesting. Its just sort of strange to me because the thing is you can't even make pvc polearms that are stiff enough. (I have tried) So not allowing ultra light cores seems to disallow an entire weapon type... :?

Not so, in the time before ULs just about everything was pvc, including polearms, most of the time you had to use bigger piping so as to not be whippy, but it worked..then came the use of Alum. cores, then graphite wraped Alum cores..then sea poles and so on and so on...I have had an easier time building a pvc Polearm that was not whippy then I have building a Ul one..

-Matt K.

Have you built using kite spar? .75 outer diameter core is godlike for long weapons, and literally all you have to do is buy the core and build the weapon, nothing special.

Dreamingfurther said:
Have you built using kite spar? .75 outer diameter core is godlike for long weapons, and literally all you have to do is buy the core and build the weapon, nothing special.

:? umm....yes I have...as stated in my post...cheaper and easier to buy with 3/4" or 1" pvc pipe, foam and add striking area, little to no whip...then to order Graphite pole, foam and add striking area...

I just build an Ul polearm for a secondary character Im thinking about playing...

-Matt K.

The way I bend bows to make for the Alliance is that I lay out the design of the bow on a piece of plywood and place nails and blocks of wood into it where I want the bow to bend. I then bend the PVC around the template so that it is in the shape I want. Then, I use a heat gun and just go along it until the tension goes out of the form and let it cool into the new shape.

The trick though is how to heat it so that when one part becomes soft, the rest of the doesn't suddenly snap out . I have found working from the center outwards to the ends works best.

Back