How'd we do Aug 9-11

I had a great time at the event. I was on site from around 3 p.m. Saturday to around 3 a.m. Sunday, so my feedback focuses on that time period.

My favorite part of the event was the big town mod after we rememmed. I like that the big action was earlier in the night, when I was sharper and not exhausted. The town worked together very well and the fun level was extreme. I like that things didn't go as planned and that there were totally unanticipated contingencies that came up during the mod (Tadron senses a WHAT?!?!). How you guys utilized the paths and two different buildings and the field was just awesome. I don't think I've ever been on a mod that covered that much physical ground. It was seriously so much fun.

My only constructive criticism is that when we arrived, there were no jobs left on the board. It's awesome everyone else powered through them, so no complaints there. It's just that Steve and I wanted to jump into some things and the awesome tool that is the jobs board was not available to make that happen. Eventually we were able to mobilize the marshes mod, but it was a couple of hours of down time before we could get that rolling. It would be cool in the future if the jobs board was replenished, or if the PCs knew an in game place we could go if we finished all of the work. Heck, there might even be a note permanently attached to the board saying "If you run out of work and are looking for more, see [XYZ person], who can be found at [ABC location]. There's always more to be done!" This would give an in-game mechanism to hand out jobs-board type mods to people who wanted to get out and do something.

I seemed to get more treasure this event than in previous events (well, to be clear, Stremthi didn't get it and couldn't carry it, but it was obtained on his behalf ;-) ). I enjoyed that a lot. Treasure is fun!

It seemed like the PCs were being more open with plot information this event. As someone who cannot often play whole events but who really likes to know what is going on, I SERIOUSLY CANNOT THANK YOU GUYS ENOUGH. It's a huge part of my fun to learn the story, so many thanks to the other PCs for helping bring me up to speed (Nigel, Mathis, Tad, and others).

Also, I was super impressed by the newer PCs this event. The guy who plays Robert is great. Thanks for being enthusiastic. The guy who plays Raziel is also awesome. When we showed up, he was the first person we saw. I asked him what was going on, and he busted out a book of notes and spelled it all out. Dude, you are AWESOME for paying such close attention. Keep it up! Also, to the three armored guys, you have to come back! You were so much fun to get to know. Bring some of that +3 piercing cheese next time you come. I want to try some!

It’s been really fun to watch the chapter grow these last couple years. Seriously, Chris, Travis, and Chad, you guys are an amazing plot team. Keep up the great work because we can’t get enough!

This event most definitely toppled the scales on the fun level. I would dare to say it was even better than my first event. I've never seen myself as useful during the big mods, but every single person involved was definitely vital to the success, as was addressed in the many speeches afterwards. As usual, a huge thank you to the plot team for making everything flow smoothly and be insanely awesome at each event. It was great to meet and have Brooks as an addition to the NPC pool; even the man's damage calls are in character!

+1 to basically everything Stremthi said; as the day passed it seemed like the guilds were furthering their plots which left those who were not involved with them with a bit more downtime. In retrospect, the rest was probably good to prepare for the large mod, but having the option to fill our time with an extra quest or two would have been nice.

I'm still in awe that the golem assault went as well as it did. I have no doubt that the level of teamwork there is truly a rarity as Matt & Steve mentioned.

Baron Ko's tin cans were a great addition to the town; I'll never forget how giddy Robert was at the end of saturday night; Foss & Mathis are great for filling the downtime with information and stories, and running around with a half-ghost always keeps things interesting.

Thanks for the kind words Stremthi! I love to learn and hate to forget. ;)

-jack.

One of my Top 5 events I ever had the pleasure to play in. Here are my highlights in no order:

- Menotti's Defender and TC's Broken Handmaiden's fight for Waymaker's freedom. Out-of-hand tough, which was awesome.
- The subsequent Red Job with the Digger Golems. Very VERY well statted and a good, consistent, fight. I really enjoyed that one.
- HoG vs VO. Glad things are working out.
- Finally "winning" a Salt Marsh fight. Durk 1, Salt Marshes 1. Yes, I consider escaping without dying a Win.
- The fight to help the people of Dwarfholm escape. This fight I will talk about for years. Best town mod / battle I have ever been a part of.
- The Durk vs TadRon fight to try to keep TadRon calm. Thankfully, TadRon didnt use anything against Durk aside from his weapon. Durk would probably STILL be rez'ing otherwise!

And finally....

- Loveless and his Shield Wall (Ben, Conor, Garrett) Friends. Amazing attitudes, confidence, skill, and otherwise great people. I sincerly hope you guys come back!

See you guys in October!

GJ
AKA - Durk

I had a really good time. I thought stats were done well. I felt like I got a nice amount done. I felt like there was plenty of information to go out. You guys shut a door on me because I was slow on the uptake but opened a different one in response. You have continued to lead my along with your story, and I'm eager that we're getting more people involved in your amazing web of stories.

The logistics of the Endrel/Waymaker mod was a bit confusing and frustrating with the building/card combo. My only gripe, and a small one at that.

Seriously looking forward to the next event, so much so that I'm truly contemplating paying for a catered mod just to make sure some ducks are in a row before the next event. Be proud, gentlemen.

All of the newer players were amazing. I love how great this community is becoming. We keep this going, and we'll have something truly special. New, good blood is the difference between good and great, so everyone who's been here for awhile needs to make sure we foster our future players.

Steve
Plays Nigel

I wanted to thank everyone for a great event!

This was our first event after the symposium with all the changes and altered approach of the new plot team. There was a quite a bit of discussion on behalf of the plot team (and by that I mean lots of arguing of the fine details). It was amazing just to cut loose on our players to such a positive response!

Still if there was anything at all you want to discuss here about some of the new aspects of the game please please please bring them up now so we can start talking about it.

I had a great time this event with all the role-play I got to be involved with, or being the fulcrum that started some REALLY heavy stuff. Crazy good time.

I got so busy after getting our new shield-wall players into game I'm really glad they got to be so involved in game. If you are reading this guys I hope you come back for the insane October event.

By the way, when I say "insane" I don't mean.... "oh my mother, she's sooooo insane"

I mean "We the Jury Find this Event to be Criminally Insane." :blink:

Thanks everyone!

Travis - Plot Person

First let me say that I had a great time. And now with a seamless transition, I'm just going to jump into the likes and dislikes of the event.

It seems to be a consensus that everyone liked the big town mod and I am part of that consensus. It was great that the less powerful shields (and fighters) had something to do that challenged us, but didn't exhaust and overwhelm us. Giving us two fronts to fight, that were appropriate for all those involved, gave me a strong sense of contribution which was really great. That sense carried on for me throughout the mod. That is partly due to how the town reacted and worked together, but also in the preparation and presentation by plot which gave us that opportunity. Really well done.

In that mod it was evident to me how much I like the physical call. Letting us cut out of it is HUGE. It would be really easy to overwhelm the group if instead of physical it was magical. I'm not sure there would be as many answers (i.e. dispels, etc) to go around, but with physical we can almost always answer it, though it can be tough if we do not.

I liked the Endrel/Waymaker mod just in terms of how tense it was. The fighting was crazy and really pushed us (or at least me) to my limit....upon which I rezzed :) . I really liked that tough challenge right away on Friday. The choices given to us by Radi via Waymaker were great too, it made it so that it was not "so crazy that we couldn't complete it". As for resurrecting, I really liked the choice I was given by Travis when I dissipated and then the play between Travis and Chad when I resurrected, along with how Ian and I had to respond.

I also love when we get prodded and poked by other NPCs while we are talking to other NPCs. For instance, when Chad was the Kobolt and Chris came in as the Orc. That was a good time. It also lends itself to moving along the conversation, hopefully, so that it does not last longer than it needs to, which can occasionally happen.

Dislikes and Comments

I understand the call for more jobs, but there were also supposed to be events/notes in the woods that we could stumble on to? I didn't see them, but I also didn't actively look for them either. I, however, never felt as though there was a lacking of things to do. For instance, we were given a contract by an NPC specifically because we sought him out. A member of our group was also specifically given a job by an NPC for seeking him out. This is in response to Joe where it seems as though there already is in place a mechanism where [XYZ person] is in [ABC location], you just have to know that in game, or get in touch with the mover and shakers that you already know (NPCs and PCs alike). Though I can understand that those who couldn't be there for the initial lay-on missed out on some of the jobs and what not.

I'm not a fan of having a big town mod on Saturday night that was not the focus of all other big efforts during the weekend. It makes me feel like there are a million other things going on, which there are, but that none of them are really affected by the big thing we are worried about. It felt like Dwarfholme was under attack but that it was isolated, we were never in any real danger and everyone we talked to had their own thing going on (for the most part). We did engage some settlements with Golems, but I felt as though we could leave them alone until we wanted to deal with them and they wouldn't affect any of the other things we wanted to do throughout the weekend. This could be completely incorrect, but that is just how I felt with regards to that. It just may have been the case that we never focused our actions on a instance where that overlap could occur, which is perfectly fine.

Thanks

I appreciate all the NPCs that came out to fight. Thanks to Brigit for giving her time, I hope she learned a lot as was her intent. Thanks to Beth and Kimberly for coming out and NPCing as usual, it definitely makes a difference when you guys are there. Thanks to Ashley and the new NPCs as well whose names I don't remember right now (sorry!). The new NPCs were great and caught on quickly. And then there was Menotti...yep

Lastly, but certainly not least, thanks to the plot team. It seems that the PCs have a different demeanor every weekend. Sometimes we are proactive and sometimes we are lazily reactive. It cannot be easy to prepare for us to be one and then we are the other. I got the feeling that was where some of the disconnection came in this weekend. As in, some of our pro-activity disrupted the plans that you had for a reactive town, but that was only a tiny hiccup. You guys, as usual though, were able to produce a great event. I really appreciate that.

I hope our new players had a good time (the tin cans and Kristine) and I hope to see them again in October.

I'm not a fan of having a big town mod on Saturday night that was not the focus of all other big efforts during the weekend. It makes me feel like there are a million other things going on, which there are, but that none of them are really affected by the big thing we are worried about. It felt like Dwarfholme was under attack but that it was isolated, we were never in any real danger and everyone we talked to had their own thing going on (for the most part). We did engage some settlements with Golems, but I felt as though we could leave them alone until we wanted to deal with them and they wouldn't affect any of the other things we wanted to do throughout the weekend. This could be completely incorrect, but that is just how I felt with regards to that. It just may have been the case that we never focused our actions on a instance where that overlap could occur, which is perfectly fine.

I wanted to address this directly because it's far more of a compliment than a complaint than you might know.

The event was written surrounding the assault of the golems on the county of Dwarfholme and the Brother Cities evacuating. We try to make certain that there are a million and one things going on to provide options, allow for players to make something of a threat assessment, demonstrate that the world has it's own narrative that the players can interact with (and are not, or don't have to be, always the fulcrum of), and so on and so on. Unless circumstance or whatever else occurs you have the option to set off on any task or crusade you wish to. That couldn't have been more evident this weekend.

That said I feel that the reason you didn't feel the Saturday mod was connected was because your team was running it's tits off knocking out threats from other sources. You hit the ground running and still managed to find time to knock out the local catastrophe. What I can assure you of is there was a great deal more going on that affected that main challenge. They were not discovered/realized/completed by whatever means they were around but I can still say this part with pride as our players very much went looking for them when they could.

Thus the only issue I personally had as a plot member is I would be in costume with makeup on to run in and get something else going... to find a band of PCs standing at the door of monster camp with a plan. Not just a job board, but a plan. You were not directly hooked, you were given information and you made a plan and executed it.

So if my only real gripe is that I had to change makeup suddenly to get ready for a mod well I count that as a win.

These are just my thoughts as 1 of 3 plot team members... and really, what the heck do I know?

Just saying, this wasn't a gripe to me, it was a compliment. So thanks.

Travis

Most of my opinions have been said before in this thread. Saturday night was awesome. The waymaker mod ending was not my cup of tea, I never really like babysitters.

Overall a great event.

No one has mentioned the best part of the event.
Seeing Christine! Come visit again!

As our first event with Alliance, and for my part my first time at any Larp, I can say the three of us "tin cans" couldnt have had a better experience. The entire group was very helpful and accommodating as well as extremely welcoming. I did find the down time after dinner between the big town fight was a little slow for a group of us, but we did get to hear at least an hours back story into some of the myths and goings on of the world which was really cool. From what I read from others on the post here, it seems that next time we can decide o go and do something like fight undead or what not if we so choose. being new to the game and as it seemed everyone else was already involved in something I didnt know you could do that, but now I do! It was very cool of the plot team to include us right off the bat as being men of Koroshi sent to aid Sir Allgood and provided us with an excellent starting place for characters and story line. The town battle was most epic and very intense, something the three of us will remember for a very long time. I might, however, suggest that perhaps glow sticks worn on outfits and maybe somehow attached to weapons, red vs green could be useful? i know i was trying my best to avoid hitting people in the face as the night battle wore on. :p Over all A+ from me and so very much looking forward to continuing to dive into it next adventure with you all!!!

Cheers,

Ben

Ben,

Please have you and yours email Plot directly at plot@nextyearsplot.com.

We always love having new players in our game, doubly so for those that run right into them head first!

We need to know if you would like to continue your current intro-plot so we can expand on it and give you a much fuller base story so you can develop your characters the way you want to with-in that story.
-OR-
Since you have the option at your next event to rewrite entirely we can help you get set up as all new characters with backstories that work well in the game.

We can go over the pros and cons of all of that. Just send us the email when you can!

Cheers,
Travis - aka plot guy that hurled you into game after pretending to hit you in the head a few times.

Back