I need some material tips on shields

polystyrene you can get it from home depot or any hardware store but its really light you just have to layer it

Foam insulation board is what I generally tend to use. 2" thick insulation board tends to be sturdy enough to use as a shield and very light weight.

If you go that route, leather straps through slots decently spaced work well. You can also bolt a handle and/or straps on, but if you do so you'll want to make sure to get large washers to spread out the area of pressure where the bolt goes through, and put the heads on the combat side. Depending on how much they stick out after, you may want to put a bit of cardboard or closed cell foam over them.

I have two shields constructed with both methods (straps and bolts.) Both have held up extremely well.

A sheet of 2" thick foam insulation board will run you close to $10, but you can also get up to 4 shields out of 1 sheet.

You can PM Matt (Obcidian) for more tips. He made one of my shields and is the guy who's hands are all over the place in the weapon building section of the rulebook.

Back