Ideas for Money

Serrik

1. I can't stand crafting. For me it's the most boring thing about any rpg.
2. I don't gamble. High risk + low reward = :mad:
3. I won't steal from people.

So my options are:
A: Fight monsters and hope they drop money. (Monster slaying: For fun and for profit!)
B: Make/buy food and sell it for IG money (i'm trying to think of something that might work besides food. My chapter seems pretty well fed).
C: ????
D: Profit!

Anybody out there have some other ideas for making IG money? What oportunities am I missing here? Are there PCs out there that might pay for a bit extra muscle/magic on their side?

Side note:
A thought just came to me - Leprechauns as PCs. Racial ability: Can make 1 gold/day out of nothing. Vanishes after 1 hour. Disadvantages: They're always after your lucky charms!

Really, the easiest way is taking Craftsman skills. They don't require any effort, they just hand you 1 silver per level each day at logistics. Taking the Merchant skill will also allow you to convert any production items you pick up as loot (scrolls, potions, weapons, armor, alchemy, etc.) into cash at logistics as well, although you'll only get the production price, not what they'd sell for on the open market.

Other than that, it's simply whatever someone will pay you to do. Offering services is a buyer's market.

jpariury said:
Back rubs, cabin cleaning, cooking services, guard/patrol duty, keeping your mouth shut about things they'd rather others not know, these are all things that garner coin.

lol, blackmail would be an option, I guess. :D

Participate in large scale / town battles where magic items / ritual scrolls drop. Auction said items until pool of loot is coin/production that can be split evenly among all who participated in battle. This is at least how it works in Ohio, I've heard horror stories of loot distribution standards elsewhere. (No system is perfect disclaimer, even our standard has flaws, greedy people will always be greedy, et cetera.)

Find out what snacks people like and sell them for in-game coin.
Personally, I gamble knowing I'm going to lose money but gain personal ties that are far more valuable and be entertained in general.

What about banking? Is there enough IG money in circulation to allow players to open savings accounts? Are there uber expensive items that might give them incentive to take out loans?

Loans, yes.

banking... good luck finding someone willing to trust their gold to you. There's no reason when it all fits in a chest or can be invested in things like shops, forges, keeps, castles, etc.

Not to mention the logistical problems of banking in this game. If a PC is running the 'bank', what's your recourse if they don't show up to a game, or just decide to not play that character anymore at your chapter and run off with the cash? For an NPC, can you gaurantee that someone will be around to play it whenever you need the money?

From reading the rulebook i understand that the physical coins are turned into the staff at the end of an event, kept track of, and handed out before the next event. Is this correct?

If so I would then ask if it is possible for players to exchange money via the In-Game forums.

If both values are true I would see banking working as such:
Player 1 announces that he or she has opened a bank either at an event or on the in game forum.
Others players may now open savings accounts and apply for loans either at an event or on the in game forum.
Now, if a player wishes to make a withdrawl he or she can do so at or before an event on the in game forum and it won't matter if Player 1 even shows up to the event or not.
A courteous banker would probably notify the public before, say, retiring their character, or being absent from the game for a long period of time, as well as have a Last Will and Testament naming an heir to take over the business should they permadeath.

Why would PCs want to give their money to a bank instead of easily tossing it in a large chest? ...
Why wouldn't they? I know that there are PCs out there that have so much treasure they can't carry it around with them all the time, so why not put that coin you worked so hard for, that you're not using, to work for you?

ps: this is mostly speculation, and running a bank seems almost as boring as crafting to me now that i've thought out the process. I just think maybe someone else might like to try it out.

That is a negative, coin stays with the player unless they spend it back to logistics buying something like a house or paying for production. Hence why you will see npc merchants out trying to keep the chapter from having to buy coin.

Busking! Get a hat, set it out in the tavern, and play during mealtimes. Any instrument works.

WOW I totally misread that page. I was very tired when I read it the first time.

I suggest feeling your way around the social environment a bit. Find out what people need, what people will and won't do, and find your niche. If you can do a service or task (however great or mundane it may be) if you have a monopoly on the ability or are unique, someone will pay you to do it.

I draw in real life, thus the past 4 years that I have been spent NOT playing nero will be my character's reclusion into solitude developing his finer skills, including but not limited to "Art".

:p

Woot for Izlude coming back! Find Jonathon and bring him too! :)

Yay Jim is still at Nero! :D

You playing at any of the oregon events in the near future? I'm planning on bringing my roommates to play in january.

I put together a team of individuals who work together towards common goals and fair split treasure. That has made us pretty well off in the coin department. We save magic item, scrolls, potions and components for when they are needed. If giving uber fighter a flaming sword of justice means the group has a batter DPS machine then he gets the magic item drop. It just makes sense. Being friends IG/OOG helps with this situation. No one on our team is forced to participate in the communal chest, in which case we distribute wealth equally. Half of us just decided to have a team chest since we shared everything anyways. We are all lower level so if one person goes off on a high level mod the team will often hand over personal magic items to use in the fight. I guess the moral of the story is... I don't know... Sharing, yeah sharing. :D

PC-run banks can work- if everyone knows each other OOG and thus can pass the Bank Box to someone else if they're not going. I'm the Treasurer for a lowbie adventuring organization that has a bank. It also manages loans for high-cost ritual scrolls and components. It's a pretty efficient system so far.

As for money sources, there are many options:
Get a sewing kit, some leather and cloth patches, some spare buttons, and set up a "ye olde clothinge repaire shoppe" and charge money for costume repairs. Charge extra for safety pin, lengths of ribbon, emergency pouches, and all the other things players tend to forget.
Learn to sing, play an instrument, juggle, dance, or do tumbling tricks. Put out a hat, and watch the coin flow in.
Learn to read tarot, and charge people for fortunes- works best if you're a gypsy.
Run a game of blackjack as the house- Statistically, you'll probably win out eventually.
Sell empty potion bottle physreps and blank scroll physpreps- lots of people forget those, and though sometimes the loot potions are dropped in vials, often they aren't.
If you have the Read and Write skill, set yourself up as a scribe for all those fighters who never bothered to take it.

Back