I'm new and confused.

Vovix

Hi, everybody. I would like to try out LARPing and found Alliance Oregon, but I have no Idea where to start.

Well, the best thing to do would be to introduce yourself over at the Oregon section of the boards listed under Chapters. There the actual people you will be playing with can tell you more about themselves and the game they play. If you have more general questions about basic rules, costuming guidelines or even terminology, right here is a great place to start.

Hi Vovix, I'm one of the NPC's from Alliance Oregon. This is a great time to start playing, as we have just begun a new plot. Our first full game will be October 22-24th, we just had a game day this afternoon in Portland run by the new plot team and it was a great event.

Are you interested in PC'ing or NPC'ing? Oregon games have traditionally been free to NPC, with food, cabin costumes and weapons provided, however, I believe there may be a nominal fee to cover food in the future. PC'ing is $50-60 and you provide your own food, costume and gear.

NPC'ing is a great way to find out what classes you like playing, whether you prefer spellcasting or fighting, or both. It also is a great way to learn the rules. The players and staff at Alliance Oregon are a great group of people and always patient and helpful towards new players.

If you haven't read the rulebook, that's a great place to start, it's only $6 to download an E-Book:
http://bit.ly/akeOBc

In addition to the Oregon section on these forums, we also have a Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 4179415515

If you have any specific questions pop over to the Oregon section and ask away!

Hope to see you at an event!

Vovix said:
I'm not sure about the difference between NPCing and PCing.

PC-ing is to create a character of your oun design , pay to play it and level it up slowly and build its skills the way you see fit over time wile emersing your self in the fantasy world offered by your chapters staff.

NPC-ing is to play a monster or town roll as needed and work behind the seens for the staff of your chapter to make the fantasy world seem as realistic and run smoothly for the players paying to play there PC's

easy way to thinka bout it
PC= costumer
NPC = volunteer

Vovix said:
Also, is there an age requirement?

it might be different from one chapter to the next but i know there is one, in my chapter of SF the age requirement is 12. if u are 12 years old to 16 years old u can play as a page. after they you can play normally.

if u fall in to the page category you can still play and have fun , combats just a little.... modified to add safety for the young players.

Ok, I'm probably going to participate at the October event. What time is it and is any sort of pre-registration required?

Pre-reg isn't open yet for the Oregon game, more details for the Oregon event are posted in the Oregon Out of Game section of these forums.

viewforum.php?f=80

Best advice I can give is go to the Oregon boards and say hello. I am from the Seattle chapter but I do play sometimes in Oregon. The Oregon event in October is a weekend event (Friday night to Sunday afternoon.) During the event we are in game the whole time. Bring rainproof gear, socks, warm cloths, socks, warm bedding, socks and oh yeah socks... I would suggest NPCing your first event since you have to wear black sweats and a black shirt or something equivalent. PCing costs a bit of money so if you are testing the waters to see if it is something you are into then I would say NPC for sure before you commit the cash.

NPCing is fun since you get to play all sorts of creatures and people. You can also learn the rules a lot easier as an NPC. There is a higher expectation on players to know rules than new NPCs. We always enjoy seeing new faces at events so you wont have to worry about much. OOG everybody is pretty friendly and patient with new folks. Look forward to meeting you at the event. :D

Vovix said:
Also, is there an age requirement?
Yes. In Oregon and Seattle you need parental permission to play if you're under 18. If you're 14 or older you can fight, if you're younger than that you can't (but you can still play). If you're under 14 you'll need a parent or guardian, or someone acting in that role, to come with you.
The Oregon event is Oct 22-24, it'll start Friday evening and end Sunday around noon, then there's cleanup, which takes a couple hours. It'll be at Brooks Memorial State Park ELC near Goldendale, WA.

A PC is a Player Character. You'll have the freedom to play your character how you want and to do what you want all weekend (within the limitations of the game). You'll play this same character at all the games you go to.

An NPC is a Non Player Character. The Plot team will write a story that plays out throughout the weekend and will need people to play the various parts. You will be given all the props, costuming, and information you need to play those various characters as the Plot team needs. It's a easy way to learn the rules and get used to the game because you'll have more exposure to them in all of your different roles and you won't have to worry about getting your PC killed or in trouble.

If you want to PC, you need to send an email to cymryc@comcast.net and let him know that you'll be coming to pre-reg. Your email should include the skills you'd like your character to possess, how you'll be using any crafting skills your character has, and what spells your character might be memorizing. Details for all of those things can be found in the rulebook, which someone posted a link to a few posts back.

If you want to NPC, you should post on the Oregon board where other folk are, or send an email to cymryc@comcast.net and let them know.

~Matt,
Manager, Seattle

Howdy, and welcome aboard!

It's also worth mentioning that if you're just super excited and have both weekends free, there is a full weekend-long event in Seattle occurring two weeks before ours in Seattle (more specifically, Camp Sheppard up near Enumclaw). Be sure and poke your head in on their forums as well. I highly recommend Matt's article on Creating a New Character if you decide to PC.

Matt and Joe covered most of the specifics, so I won't repeat badly what they've done so well. If you have any questions specific to the Oregon chapter, feel free to post them up in the Oregon forums, or PM me directly. Also, you can contact the plot team via email through oregonplot (at) gmail.com, and get somewhat more trivial and/or important updates via twitter @oregonplot.

If you have more broad-based, "hey I'm new and looking for ideas/clarification on the game in general" type stuff, this forum works well. Mike V (owner of the Alliance system) has also made a number of sample rules pages available here.

Look forward to meeting you!
-JP
Oregon Head of Plot

If you're under 14, one or more parents or guardians would need to be on-site. They do not have to be playing the game (they can wear a white headband and hang out out-of-game or some such), but they do have to be on-site.

Vovix said:
And I can't even fight? So, I miss out on one of the biggest parts of the game for half a year.

Please understand, it's not intended to be discriminatory. Rather, chapters are required to have insurance in case of medical injuries on site during a game, and most policies won't allow persons under the age of 14 to participate unsupervised or in a full capacity.

Seattle and Oregon have a very nice page policy that they utilize that still allows pages to play in the game and have fun. Indeed, some of that policy was incorporated into the main rules in the last edition. And I believe you get a free re-write to your character when you become combat able.

If you've only got half a year to go till you're 14, go anyway! You can spend some time establishing a persona, making friends (and enemies!) in game, and learning the system. That'll give you a good edge when you hit 14 and are allowed to start actually swinging foam!

Seattle had one player who was a page for 4 or 5 years. He liked his character so much he didn't change much at all when he hit 14.

~Sarah

I don't know if Alliance Oregon uses the packet page system outlined in the book or not but if they do you have more options then you think when it comes to combat.

as a packet page you can not use a melee weapon or block a shot as no one is allowed to hit you with a melee weapon, however they can simply be with in arms distance of you and say what damage they are doing to you and u have to take it....
the up side is you can throw and be hit with packet!
so you can do spell casting archery alcomy and i think thrown weapon small....

combats not everything in this game. you can have as much fun if not more fun with just RP
true on average the games about 50% combat and 50% RP but this is not always the case. there are some players that almost never take part in combat. so the games 90% RP and 10% combat.
there is also the sward jocks however so you will also see some people run of to every combat they can....

in my chapter SF there are some people who play as a page now and then and there are 2 people that when they play never go on fights. one of them plays a Din mother type and the other runs the local pub saleing "ale" (sodas)for in game coin.

kittenpunk2 said:
in my chapter SF there are some people who play as a page now and then and there are 2 people that when they play never go on fights. one of them plays a Din mother type and the other runs the local pub saleing "ale" (sodas)for in game coin.

Yes, but my choice to sale ale and not go on mods was a choice because I don't like the combat system - not because of the high level of RP at the tavern (which when I was playing there wasn't alot). He apparently does want to fight.

Back