I'm new. Help please.

Korgoth

I tried this larping thing before and it was fun, but I haven't had time to get back to it. Now I want to try again. I registered for the Jul 14 event as an NPC, and read the rulebook but I'm not confident about jumping into this all by myself. Can someone be my larping mentor please?

Send an email to info@mnalliance.com and I'll get you in touch with one of our New Player Marshals. Welcome back!

Okay it's been 3 days since I sent the e-mail, and it's 5 days till the event. Still no response. I'm getting anxious.

Hey I am sure they will get back to you soon, just real life sometimes gets in the way. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or send me a pm. I make no promises I can give you an answer as Chicago is my home chapter, but someone can help you out.

Korgoth said:
Okay it's been 3 days since I sent the e-mail, and it's 5 days till the event. Still no response. I'm getting anxious.
When in doubt, feel free to contact me and I can get the help you want. :thumbsup:

I caught his follow up e-mail, we'll set up the slow drip up device and start plans to kidnap Mr.Haugen for...additional training.

Here's the big list of questions I sent Dave for if anyone else wants to take a whack at them.

I can't find the name or location of the campsite for the event on the 14th. What time should I show up? Where do I park? How much is parking? Where do I go first? How much does it cost for NPCing? Do I need to make a character right away or can I just NPC for now? I heard someone say once that you need a character on file to keep track of stuff even if you're NPCing, but I forgot who to talk to about making a character. If I made a character before do I need to keep the same one or can get a new one? I made a gypsy before, but now I want to be a Barbarian. Has anyone ever been so far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? Can I bring my dogs? (I probably won't but it would be nice to know all the same) Can I bring extra food to share with people? (I would only bring stuff in sealed containers so you know they haven't been tampered with) I read in the FAQ that gods aren't allowed. I know lots of fun Viking and Battle songs that reference Odin, Thor, and "Gods of War" I could change the lyrics. Would that be necessary though? I don't have a djembe yet, but I want one (It's a drum, follow the link below to see a picture of one). When I get it can bring it with?. Can i use the IC forums before my character actually appears at an event? What's a "Chapter"? Most importantly can I get someone to help me with a back story? I want to keep it simple, not step on any toes, easy for plot to involve without being some super important dude, and able to join one of the player groups (I forgot what they're called but they act like "Guilds" in WoW it seems).

Picture of a djembe: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Mali.jpeg

P.s. Who is Mr. Haugen?

Korgoth said:
Here's the big list of questions I sent Dave for if anyone else wants to take a whack at them.

I can't find the name or location of the campsite for the event on the 14th. What time should I show up? Where do I park? How much is parking? Where do I go first? How much does it cost for NPCing? Do I need to make a character right away or can I just NPC for now? I heard someone say once that you need a character on file to keep track of stuff even if you're NPCing, but I forgot who to talk to about making a character. If I made a character before do I need to keep the same one or can get a new one? I made a gypsy before, but now I want to be a Barbarian. Has anyone ever been so far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? Can I bring my dogs? (I probably won't but it would be nice to know all the same) Can I bring extra food to share with people? (I would only bring stuff in sealed containers so you know they haven't been tampered with) I read in the FAQ that gods aren't allowed. I know lots of fun Viking and Battle songs that reference Odin, Thor, and "Gods of War" I could change the lyrics. Would that be necessary though? I don't have a djembe yet, but I want one (It's a drum, follow the link below to see a picture of one). When I get it can bring it with?. Can i use the IC forums before my character actually appears at an event? What's a "Chapter"? Most importantly can I get someone to help me with a back story? I want to keep it simple, not step on any toes, easy for plot to involve without being some super important dude, and able to join one of the player groups (I forgot what they're called but they act like "Guilds" in WoW it seems).

Picture of a djembe: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... _Mali.jpeg

P.s. Who is Mr. Haugen?
I've got this, folks. :thumbsup:

I was just about to tackle this. Feel free to merge mine with yours or do equal opinions....or just laugh at the fact I also went through each question:

I can't find the name or location of the campsite for the event on the 14th.

- Name is yet undecided. The location can be found here: 1538 180th Avenue Kanabec Twp, MN
What time should I show up?
- Game on is at 10. I like to show up 45 mins early, to make sure Logistics isn't held up.
Where do I park?
- In the field to the left of the barn. You'll see other cars there as well.
How much is parking?
- Parking is FREE!
Where do I go first?
- Logistics Good Sir or Ma'am. They will get you set up and ready to go.
How much does it cost for NPCing?
- FREE if you pre-reg by Tuesday at Midnight. Otherwise $5 after Wednesday or at the site.
Do I need to make a character right away or can I just NPC for now?
- You can either NPC or PC. If you NPC now, you can put that xp towards your character for next time!
I heard someone say once that you need a character on file to keep track of stuff even if you're NPCing, but I forgot who to talk to about making a character.
- That is true. However, this character is known as a "Blank card" and thus can pile on XP/Build without having anything assigned to it.
If I made a character before do I need to keep the same one or can get a new one?
- You can definitely make a new one should you wish, or keep your old one.
I made a gypsy before, but now I want to be a Barbarian. Has anyone ever been so far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
- As a new player, you get 1 rewrite after your first game. So your new "Barbarian" can have the xp of the Gypsy, while still being a new character. To answer the second part...yes.
Can I bring my dogs? (I probably won't but it would be nice to know all the same)
- ....DG/Matta ruling?
Can I bring extra food to share with people? (I would only bring stuff in sealed containers so you know they haven't been tampered with)
- Absolutely. In fact, you can even charge PCs in game currency for that lovely food!
I read in the FAQ that gods aren't allowed. I know lots of fun Viking and Battle songs that reference Odin, Thor, and "Gods of War" I could change the lyrics. Would that be necessary though?
- Yes. What makes Alliance Alliance is that it contains no references to religion. You can still use the song, as long as you swap out the lyrics with more generic, non religious material.
I don't have a djembe yet, but I want one (It's a drum, follow the link below to see a picture of one). When I get it can bring it with?.
- Absolutely. In fact, one of our Gypsies owns one and brings it to events as well.
Can i use the IC forums before my character actually appears at an event?
- You certainly can. That is a great way to introduce your character before you appear in game. Make sure you follow the IC Forum rules though.
What's a "Chapter"?
- A Chapter is the region of an Alliance game. Other chapters include: Chicago, Southern Michigan, Seattle and other cities/areas around the US....even one in Calgary Canada!
Most importantly can I get someone to help me with a back story? I want to keep it simple, not step on any toes, easy for plot to involve without being some super important dude, and able to join one of the player groups (I forgot what they're called but they act like "Guilds" in WoW it seems).
- That is what your New Player Marshals are for! Feel free to ask them any other questions. However, most game world information can be found in our PC guide on our beautifully made website: http://www.mnalliance.com

Welcome aboard!

I can't find the name or location of the campsite for the event on the 14th.
Our site is located at the following address: 1538 180th Avenue, Kanabec Twp, MN.
What time should I show up?
Logistics check-in starts at 9:00 AM, with game-on itself being called at 10:00 AM.
Where do I park?
Parking is available on-site, and we'll direct you where once you're there.
How much is parking?
Parking is free; we own the site.
Where do I go first?
There's two buildings on-site, one of which is a garage; it won't be hard for you to find out where to head. ;)
How much does it cost for NPCing?
$5 (unless it is your 1st or 2nd game, in which case it is FREE).
Do I need to make a character right away or can I just NPC for now? I heard someone say once that you need a character on file to keep track of stuff even if you're NPCing, but I forgot who to talk to about making a character.
You don't need to have a PC planned, exactly. When you NPC, the experience from the event will just be credited onto your "Blank" PC until you decide to give them a shot. When you decide to PC sometime, contact Southern Minnesota Logistics to get the specifics of the skills your character has all hammered out.
If I made a character before do I need to keep the same one or can get a new one? I made a gypsy before, but now I want to be a Barbarian.
Each player is given what we call a "2nd Game Reforge". This allows you to completely recreate your character from scratch after your first game, while retaining the experience you gained from your first game. So, for instance, you have a lousy time your first game as a fighter, so you decide to rewrite yourself as a caster, maybe of a different race, even. After your 2nd game, however, that character is stuck the way you "reforged" them, though, so choose wisely.
Has anyone ever been so far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
.... what?
Can I bring my dogs? (I probably won't but it would be nice to know all the same)
We request that you don't bring pets to the events, please.
Can I bring extra food to share with people? (I would only bring stuff in sealed containers so you know they haven't been tampered with)
Certainly! More food for you or others throughout the day is always appreciated.
I read in the FAQ that gods aren't allowed. I know lots of fun Viking and Battle songs that reference Odin, Thor, and "Gods of War" I could change the lyrics. Would that be necessary though?
Alliance LARP is non-religious, and obvious references to religions do, in fact, need to be removed. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you, but it is rule in our LARP.
I don't have a djembe yet, but I want one (It's a drum, follow the link below to see a picture of one). When I get it can bring it with?
Sure! We have PCs who bring instruments on occasion, and they usually bring them out in non-combat area/times so they don't get damaged. I'd still be careful with it, so it doesn't get damaged at some point by accident.
Can i use the IC forums before my character actually appears at an event?
Sure, as long as you only post as your PC. You can't just make up characters to post as, but as long as you're your PC, post away, even if you won't be around in-game for a while.
What's a "Chapter"?
A Chapter is what we call the different Alliance "franchises", as it were, like Alliance Southern Minnesota, Alliance Chicago, Alliance Traverse City, etc.
Most importantly can I get someone to help me with a back story? I want to keep it simple, not step on any toes, easy for plot to involve without being some super important dude, and able to join one of the player groups (I forgot what they're called but they act like "Guilds" in WoW it seems).
If you need help for content, I'd ask one of our New Player Marshals or simply other players. When you write up a backstory, please send it to our Plot Team at plot@mnalliance.com. The Plot Team will review it and if something is particularly wrong with it, the Plot Team will work with you to make it work better. But in general, your backstory is up to you!

Let me know if you need any other help,
~ Alexander Thompson
Alliance SoMN Head of Logistics

Beat ya by 3 minutes!

I never got the email forwarded to me. So... yea.

OrcFighterFTW said:
I never got the email forwarded to me. So... yea.

Probably getting to the point where forwarding stuff to you gets caught in spam, maybe we should add you as a directly copy to the info address.

That would help :thumbsup:

Ummmm this is going to sound odd, but I'm just curious; What about hell and demons? (I'm a big Diablo fan) Is there a generic equivalent Alliance uses?

Korgoth said:
Ummmm this is going to sound odd, but I'm just curious; What about hell and demons? (I'm a big Diablo fan) Is there a generic equivalent Alliance uses?

Alas my friend, this is not Diablo, but if it be hordes of monsters you seek, go corrupt hunting, shouldn't need more than a couple cure lights and a dagger...

Back