Imbuing Mundane items with Formal Magics

Mobius

Squire
Chicago Staff
Marshal
I understand that all formally touched charms are thusly rendered against destruction but, from what I understand, this potency wanes with the magics imbuing said item; that is, after a handful of years the object returns to its mundane fragility. I had never really thought of imbuing mundane objects with such energies as the magics necessary to create permanent charms are so rare, and thusly expensive, they're outside my purview.

However, I heard, by the tips of my ear, that there was a kind of Formal Magic which would renders an object indestructible. Apparently, this kind of Formal Magic renders the object permanently without the need for the Permanency magics - though it confers no other magical characteristics. This intrigues me as such magics have nigh limitless potential - the boon to architecture alone would be substantial: imagine a featherlight capstone with unlimited carrying capacity, or a rope-span bridge able to support a marching army. Could anyone aid me in understanding these magics? I have no proficiency in these arts myself, as is well evinced by my stumbling nomenclature, but I would be willing to offer remuneration for the education. Thank you.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

There is a ritual that can render objects indestructible. It is frequently used on armor, sheilds and other things such as a favorite weapon. I have heard cases of fine statues or jewelry being protected this way as well. However I've never seen anyone try to use it on anything larger than a shield.

I've not read any journals that speak of any trials in its use in architecture, but it seems to me that if it were possible it would already be in use as such.

Dramthin,

I'll show ya da scroll next time ah see ya, its pretty simplistic. If ya want, ah kind give a lesson on its applications, drawbacks, and other features at yar college when certain... proclamations git changed.

Jehan

Just so you know, if you want the ritual to last longer than a year, you are looking for a Render Indistructable Improved ritual, not just a normal Render scroll.

~Sun~

Professor Silverthorn - I too have only heard of these magics used on martial weapons and I see it as not only a mystery but a great loss to civilization if such powerful forces can only be used to hone tools of death and not society as well. Are most Formal Magics only designed for the military? Seems an awful waste. Who writes Formal Scrolls, anyway? Could I just find a Formal Scribe and have her write me the proper writ?

Warden - Most certainly! You know, barring legal restrictions, you're always welcome at the University. We spoke before about you leading some discussions. While I don't have any students who would benefit from Grand Magical theory right now, we can always use savvy fellowes relating the fundamentals; and I've always, personally, found that teaching the basics helps my own understanding of all advanced principals.

Sun - I am familiar with neither the Render scroll nor the Improved Render Indestructible scroll. What are these Scrolls? Is this the magics in question? Are they common? Are the necessary components rare? Thank you for any help you can provide.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Technically, the full name of the Render scroll is Render Indestructible. The difference between this an the RI Improved is that the Improved is permanent. I do stress here that with magics always changing and such, things might be different and you may find an odd scroll here or there, but that is how it has worked with every one I have seen and/or cast. Both scrolls will make something indestructible by normal means so it sounds that this is the scroll you are seeking. Both are not too hard to come by, unlike a Perm set for example, but of course, the Improved version of the scroll will be more valuable than the normal version. Sadly, with each scroll, there comes a different list of components required. There is no special catalyst for the ritual, so you do not need to worry about that. Once you find the scroll, you can then try and match the correct components to it.

I should also mention that not all rituals are made for the military. There are a great number of rituals I have seen that do not involve fighting in the least. Also, I have cast a Render on a piece of jewlery for someone once as it was the last piece of jewerly the woman's husband ever gave her and the woman wanted it to last forever. So it may be cast on other objects than weaponary.

Making formal magic scrolls is not the same as making a Celestral battle magic scroll, such as a Flame Blot scroll. The making of ritual scrolls takes very powerful magic. Someone strong magical power would have to do so, for example, a dragon. If you can find someone that can and will just write ritual scrolls for you, please let me know. I've cast a ritual or two in my day and would love to watch this happen.

~Sun~

Ritual scrolls are what happens when a dragon's scales fall off.

The dragon then distributes said ritual scrolls to monsters.

This is done for the purpose of population control.

Both that of the monsters and the adventuring population.

-Tieran

Back