In a corner of the library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elinor is shuffling through a stack of maps, trying to find one of the southern part of the country. She's clearly uncomfortable with the extra layers of clothing she's wearing, and she constantly shifts her travelling cloak, twitching it out of her way as she peers carefully at each map. She wouldn't get lost this time, not with Myrdin and Adraxis coming. Not this time.

She realizes her hands are trembling. She puts the stack down, leaning heavily on the table. There was nothing to be frightened of. Whatever it was that destroyed Brighton... it had likely moved on. No sense for it to stay if everything was... well, gone.

... but that's not what I'm frightened of, is it?

She closes her eyes and tries to picture Jacob's face. Her stern, serious, older brother, with his wispy chin beard and curly dark hair, hunched over some boring old document. It was getting more difficult by the day. More than anything, she was frightened of forgetting him, the same way she forgot their parents' faces as a child. She puts her elbows down and presses her palms into her eyes. I'll remember him. No matter what. She tries to remember that half-amused, half-annoyed look he had given her when she told him about her vision. That helps a bit, though it does summon the smell of burning trees, the choking ash...

She takes her hands from her eyes. The southern map is right in front of her, on top of the stack. A smile touches her lips as she begins to copy the map into her journal. I'm coming home, Jacob.

Adraxis walks into the library some time later. The Oathsworn is dressed for travel with a pack slung over his shoulder and is happily stuffing his face with popcorn as he makes his way over to where Elinor is looking at a stack of maps.

"Hey Eli," he mumbles through a mouthful.

He eyeballs the stack with confusion. "I still don't understand how to read these surface maps. How do you orientate yourself to start? There's no landmarks here to tell you left or right or up or down. No wonder we got lost in the forest."

"Where are we even going? I know you said home, but where is that?"

She looks up from her journal as she finishes copying the map. "Oh good, you're ready to go." She chuckles. "You know, they have this marvelous invention called a compass - no need to worry about up and down on the surface, just the four points will do."

She tucks her journal into her bag and begins to return the maps to their respective shelves. "You seen Myrdin yet? I was hoping we might catch Genevra on our way through the capital."

"Oh, and to answer your question." She points to an unmarked area to the southeast of capital. "That is where Brighton is." She grimaces. "... or was, anyway. Perhaps you could ask your new friends at the Guard if there's been any refugees coming from that area?"

Myrdin was wandering the library, looking for books on Alchemy. He hadn't seen any, but there were many books here. He didn't recognize any of the titles, pulling out books in each section, trying to figure out what they were on. As he wandered, he heard some people talking elsewhere, "... I was hoping we might catch Genevra on our way through the capital," the voice of Elinor rang out throughout the halls. He headed in the direction of the voice. "Oh, and to answer your question. That is where Brighton is... or was, anyway." He was getting close to the voice now. "Perhaps you could ask your new friends at the Guard if there's been any refugees coming from that area?"

He stepped into the room they were in, "I'm sure we can use our connections to ask around. We should probably talk to Stig to make sure we can get the leave."

Elinor raises an eyebrow and gestures at her travelling attire. "Well, I certainly hope you'll be ready soon, I'd hoped to leave tonight or tomorrow."

"Da, that is good idea. Adraxis, I'll go talk to Stig, feel free to come with, or if you heff other things to do before, I can talk for us." Myrdin turned to leave, but waited for a response from the Oathsworn.

"I figured once we left the Lux we could check in with the Homeguard in Calanhelm. If you want to check on the whether there have been any reports of refugees from Brighton showing up in other towns, I'll go check and see whether there's any recent scouting reports from the area. If not, we may as well do one while we're out. Elly, I'm ready to go when you are."

Elinor readjusts her cloak for the millionth time. "Well, no sense waiting around. I'll head over to the sanctum, meet me when you're done, you two." Throwing her shield strap over her shoulder, she heads out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back