In desperate need of two vital things

1. Strong drink
2. Game of cards

I'll admit the drink is strong here, and very sweet, but I miss home brew. I doubt anyone has a bottle of true home brew since we haven't been to Volta since...well, a long time. Regardless, I need something new to drink. Or is that something old? I don't know any more. I also need new opponents for a game of cards. It's so hard to read a chocolate golem's face when trying to play poker. Luckily you can eat the bastard's hands when it tries to collect its winnings. Hah! Speaking of winnings, that sore loser King still owes me! It seems I have a score to settle before I leave...

I love it here, but I need a break. So I'll be "home" soon.

One last thing--I hope everyone enjoyed the baklava, assuming Ragnar didn't eat it all. Be ready for more, plus other fun things!

Another last thing--Someone tell Gilwing to wash his beard beforehand. I don't want to have him stinking up our sleeping quarters. I think I just invited myself into your home, Gilwing.

The final last thing--This fudge tastes so good. Mmmmmmm.

Perwin Poppinfresh

You can invite your self any time....but no matter what I have been through, my beard doesnt smell. It is a symbol of what I have been through ;) We are looking foward to seeing you again my friend. We must, MUST play a round of cards or two, maybe even have a little poker tourney.

Excellent news, Gilwing! I'll start preparing for the journey. Candyland is an amazing place, but I don't think humans were meant to live here in the dream world permanently. Sometimes you need a bit of normalcy in your life. Thankfully I'll be able to continue my work back home.

I miss everyone and can't wait to see so many familiar faces again. Until then, stay safe.

Perwin Poppinfresh

Did someone say cards! I'll buy you a pint and play a game!

Tien Tien~
Pankaren Hero

I would be willing to play a game of cards or two.

Sym

I would hope that your games of chance do not involve gambling as such activities can be both addictive and potentially cause financial hardship.

--- Baron Ivan Drake of Blythedale

IvanDrake said:
I would hope that your games of chance do not involve gambling as such activities can be both addictive and potentially cause financial hardship.

If addiction and financial hardship are to be my greatest worries when I return home, than I look forward to that day now more than ever. And I never thought there would come a day when a Baron of Blythedale would speak of gambling risks. The irony is absolutely delightful! My good friend Sir Jonathan Dragonheart (assuming he is just a Lord now) was one of the best card players I had the privilege to sit down at a table with. I do hope he will be there ready to play.

I look forward to meeting you, Baron Ivan Drake. If you prefer a sure thing over a gamble, be sure to try my baklava. Everyone always wins when they buy it.

IvanDrake said:

Wow, I thought the only white belt that bothered to get involved in the even talking about gambling was the feathered one Lord Jonathan. Who knew nobles took intrest in card games!

Tien Tien

I am very aware of Lord Jonothan's penchant for gambling as he and I both served as squires under Baron Thomas Grey (also known as Tristan Greycloak) in the 590's. In addition, we both served briefly under Baron Indorian Silverleaf, so I have known Lord Jonothan for many years.

I understand the draw of gambling; for who doesn't want to win money? But just as there is opportunity to win, there is also opportunity to lose. And once one has lost, there is an increasing desire to recoup those losses, hence potentially taking more and greater risks.

There is no law against gambling. However, I am concerned that such activity, should it become prevalent, could cause financial hardship to some.

Looks like you barons worry to much, have a mug of ale, tap down a pipe pull up a seat for some friendly cards. Besides it's only a baker, a dwarf and a stone elf what could possible happen?!

Tien Tien

I do remember not even a year ago sitting down to a nice friendly game of Dockside Hold 'em with one now-repentant Baron Ivan Drake of Blythedale complete with 1 Gold buy in.

I thought the Baron did well for his first time and am suprised to hear Pippen hasn't tried to coerce him into playing more often. I hope we did not turn you off to this fine game forever Baron. There are times that it seems there is nothing better than a good game of cards and a little scent of the sea on the wind. Well... studying.. studying is probably better than that, yes.

As I recall the aformentioned Lord Jonathan is hold up at Dragonstone or some such place in Blythdale, or was when last I heard from him. He hasn't been seen much since His Grace Duke Frost began holding court so near to the front lines of the contested lands.

-Wizard Nathan Westwind

Playing cards is not about winning money, just as fighting creatures isn't. When you win at either, there is usually a reward involved, be it gold in the pot or gold on a dead gnoll. There are obvious consequences to losing in either. Cards are just another way to do battle, but with your mind rather than your gas globes. And just like real combat, it's about having fun!

Games are meant to have risks otherwise there is no point in playing. That's actually the first lesson my master taught me.

Gee-Perwin said:
Playing cards is not about winning money, just as fighting creatures isn't. When you win at either, there is usually a reward involved, be it gold in the pot or gold on a dead gnoll. There are obvious consequences to losing in either. Cards are just another way to do battle, but with your mind rather than your gas globes. And just like real combat, it's about having fun!

Games are meant to have risks otherwise there is no point in playing. That's actually the first lesson my master taught me.

I'll eat a cookie to that!

Tien Tien

Wizard Nathan Westwind,I did indeed participate in a game of cards with you. I feel that it is important to try to understand something before reaching a judgement about it. While the company was certainly good, the game itself was not enjoyable for me. And it did confirm my suspicions that gambling can detrimental.

And Perwin, if playing cards isn't about the money, then why involve money in the game? Certainly there are card games that do not require gambling that I'm sure you would find enjoyable. As for equating gambling to physically defending our realm, I fail to see the connection.

Lastly for Tien Tien, I would greatly enjoy sharing an ale with you and others as I am quite sure that the conversation would be far more enjoyable than watching coins disappear from a gambler's pouch only to have him wonder how he is now going to feed his family.

Feed them rice, cheap and easy to grow. My people use it as a form of economy and it's worked out well for centuries.

I have never played cards. It would be interesting to observe. I do not need an ale. Some tea will sufice.

Telokh Amdo

DRINKS CARDS YES YES I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY!

that is my most favorite pass time! and i like to play cards too!

now if i could just figure out how to get back to the black Stag....

-Grand Master Court Bard Pippin Willowwind "the wise" of Blythedale

Perwin,
Your Tournament......you should set the entrance fee and limits.....
My sudgestion (take it or leave it) is max of 5 gold......(2 Crowns, 25 Nobles,and 50 coppers)
Ante for poker hands is 5 coppers...with no limit raises.......

Just an idea to help!

Symerille......

I also have a message for you from an old friend.......(I would need to give that to you in person)

Back