In game Rp with new rules.

ALWEASEL

Artisan
Hello all.
I have one quick question.
Will there be a in game reason or role play on the new rules.
I'm just thinking it may be odd that if i was celestial scholar last year and next spring i come in as a earth scholar. Or do we just come up with it ourselves.
just wondering.
Thanks all.
Alan

I would guess it will be up to your local plot team.

This isn't the first time that the games rules were significantly changed and every single character was allowed to alter their character sheet. In fact, this isn't even the second time since I started playing this game. Both previous times were handled rather smoothly both IG and OOG, so I don't think you need to be very concerned.

-MS

Excellent. I just didn't want it to be weird that a bunch of people are different. I will say Dave in SOMN does a great job with stuff like that. But just wanted to double check.
Thanks all, i appreciate it.
Alan

Excellent. I just didn't want it to be weird that a bunch of people are different. I will say Dave in SOMN does a great job with stuff like that. But just wanted to double check.
Thanks all, i appreciate it.
Alan

I have my suspicions as to how it's going to be handled here in SOMN. :D

That said, it happens. Fortannis' magic is unpredictable. It changes from time to time, and we don't treat the changes as ret-cons for the most part, so there are characters still around who remember things being different before the magic changed. I'll be playing with that a bit at the upcoming December event, in fact, with my ex-Gypsy.

I have my suspicions as to how it's going to be handled here in SOMN. :D

That said, it happens. Fortannis' magic is unpredictable. It changes from time to time, and we don't treat the changes as ret-cons for the most part, so there are characters still around who remember things being different before the magic changed. I'll be playing with that a bit at the upcoming December event, in fact, with my ex-Gypsy.
This is absolutely true. I have only been playing for about four years and I hear stories frequently about the "magics used to be different".

This is absolutely true. I have only been playing for about four years and I hear stories frequently about the "magics used to be different".

"Rituals used to be so much harder."

"All rituals took an hour to cast, each."

"Damage Auras used to require ridiculous amounts of scrolls for each additional +1."

Basically, I play with a bunch of oldbies. (Not you, @Polare, you're forever young!)

I appreciate the pandering, @Draven, it earns you a cookie! ;)

Having gone through several large rules changes (as well as the whole International vs Alliance split waaaaaaay back when), Plot teams have generally given some reasonably good reason as to why things are happening. As noted, this doesn't require characters to change what they've known in the past - on the contrary, it can provide very interesting RP opportunities for characters to dig into why Magic Missile is no longer a spell, for example. Many characters that have gone through such changes might still refer to "Ward Keys" or "Scavengers" - that's how the character 'learned adventuring' after all.

Trust in your Plot team to give a rational reason (well, as much as we can have in a magic-driven fantasy world).

-Bryan

ring' after all.

Trust in your Plot team to give a rational reason (well, as much as we can have in a magic-driven fantasy world).

I need to write some ideas for Seattle and Oregon.

.....Maybe I'll just throw it all the Plot teams. This'll be gold.

Many characters that have gone through such changes might still refer to "Ward Keys" or "Scavengers" - that's how the character 'learned adventuring' after all.

And they'll always be Scavengers. :|

Looking at you, @Draven

Oh look, smarty-pants charred elves gotta be smart-pants. :-|
Now that you mention it, Eli does look like a struck match...

I need to write some ideas for Seattle and Oregon.

.....Maybe I'll just throw it all the Plot teams. This'll be gold.

When new spells were added hq had "locked" them until it was discovered ig via modules and what not. I think it was a great idea

Back