In-Game Theft

Circe

Artisan
Hey, folks. I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone about the rules regarding in-game theft:

Alliance Rule Book, p.147:
Game Money, Magic Items and Jewelry:
You are always allowed to take whatever game money you can find in-game. When taking jewelry or an item, always check to make sure there is a number scratched into it. If there is a number, then the item is now yours. If there is no number, then the item is personal property and not a game item.
If you are unsure, you may find a marshal with a game item list who can check to make sure that it really is a game item. The major guilds will usually have this list.
If you have a magic weapon or item stolen, you must immediately head to the Mages’ Guild and turn over the magic item tag. Since this is a Logistical requirement that has to be performed, you can go to the guild out-of-game. Not turning in a magic item tag from something that has been stolen or lost is considered cheating.
If you have a piece of jewelry or other game item that you wish to make into a stealable item, you must contact your chapter before the event begins. They will assign a number to the item and figure out its monetary value. You will then be required to pay the in-game amount that the item is worth.

Weapons: You must actually take the weapon you are stealing. Be reasonable about it—if these weapons were real, they would weigh quite a bit. You cannot grab piles of heavy weapons and walk through town with them.
Once you have stolen a weapon, you should then head immediately to the designated area for stolen weapons (usually the NPC camp or an NPC blacksmith shop). You cannot actually keep that particular weapon phys rep since it is the personal property of the player from whom you stole it, but the marshal in charge will give you the tag from that weapon which you can then attach to your own weapon phys rep.
If your weapon is stolen, you should head to the designated area to get your phys rep back. You can do this out-of-game since this is only a Logistical function. Once you have your weapon phys rep back, you will then have to buy a weapon tag from someone in-game in order to use that weapon again.
Some monsters will have weapons that are stealable. However, for logistical reasons, these monsters will simply hand you a tag instead of the actual weapon since they need the phys rep for later. Most monster weapons are not stealable simply because to allow that would be to ruin the in-game economy and make the skill of Blacksmithing useless.

Armor and other expensive items
: Since everyone’s armor is personal and usually a bit expensive, you have the right to refuse to turn over the phys rep if someone steals your armor. However, by refusing to turn it over, you forfeit the right to later “recognize” it later on the person who stole it from you.
If instead, you allow the thief to take your armor, it must obviously be returned to you at the end of the event, as it is your own personal property.
This holds true for expensive jewelry, fancy latex weapons, and other personal items.

Spell Books and Recipe Books: In order to steal a spell book or an alchemical recipe
book, you should take the card that is attached to the book. The actual book is the private property of the player. Some players will mark their spell books with a note saying “this spell book is stealable.” In that case, you must take the actual book itself and not just the card, nor can you take the card out of that book and place it into a different book.

Gas Globes: If you steal gas globes from someone (or if those globes are destroyed somehow), the owner of the globes must randomly give up the appropriate amount of tags for the globes. A marshal may be called to oversee this.

Other in-game items: the Alliance often provides props such as maps, notes, books, and other informational items. If you find these in a module or on an NPC, they’re yours. If you steal them from another player, you should either contact the person you stole it from out-of-game and make sure that they were stealable, or alternatively, see a marshal to make sure.

Alliance Rule Book, p.148:
Searching a Cabin
In order to search a cabin, you must have a marshal present (unless the cabin is occupied).
We cannot overemphasize this point! If you enter a cabin without a marshal, you are not only cheating but may be subject to OOG legal action as well.
The marshal does not have to actually be right next to you (after all, how can you sneak around with someone else tagging along beside?), but the marshal must be aware and within sight somewhere.
Once you have managed to successfully open the door, the marshal will then check the marshal’s notes that will be affixed to the inside of the door. The list will include any magic items that are in-game, any magic spells that may be active in the cabin, and what damage the thief may have just taken from traps on the door.
You must actually search the cabin yourself. The marshal will not simply look at the notes and go and retrieve items for you.
Do not take any items marked “personal” or any items stored under a bed. In-game items may not be put under a bed. When you leave the cabin, you must show all items you have taken to the marshal. Only game items can be stolen! The marshal will return non-stealable items.
The marshal is also there to make sure that you properly disarm any traps that may be on the door or window. Destroying property such as window screens or door hinges is not allowed.
Remember: you can search anywhere in a cabin except for bags marked personal or behind dividing curtains or under beds. However, not everything in game play is stealable. Make sure there is a number on the item you want to steal.

What does this mean for you?
  • A marshal must be present for theft in private areas. The "cabins" ruling extends to in-game tents, private rooms, and any other in-game sleeping space. This also includes the Healer's Guild, the Mage's Guild, and, from now moving forward, the kitchen area.
  • You do not need a marshal present for theft in public areas, unless you are stealing a magic item or gas globes.
  • If you have stolen a magic item, notify a marshal. It helps us to know which tags needs to go where.
  • If you have stolen a plot item, notify a marshal and plot. It helps us keep track of what went where.
  • If you aren't sure whether or not an item is in-game or out-of-game, ask a marshal or just ask the player out-of-game.
  • When in doubt, get a marshal.
Why is this important?
We want everybody to have a good, safe time here at Ashbury, and the last thing we want is somebody's personal belongings getting stolen, whether intentionally or by accident. We're all friends here and we all want to have fun. These precautions are put in place to ensure we aren't hurting each other out-of-game and causing real life issues. We care about our players and we want to be sure everybody feels safe out-of-game.

What if I made a mistake?
If you think you may have stolen something that was not stealable in-game but don't wish for the player to know it was you, bring it to a marshal or to the General Manager and we will make sure that the item(s) in question return to their rightful owners. It's okay to make mistakes, just as long as we fix them!

However, if you have taken out-of-game items without a player's out-of-game consent and have not returned them, you will be subject to out-of-game punishment up to being banned from the chapter.

If you think you may have stolen something which does not belong to you out-of-game, please return it to us or notify us at ashburygm@gmail.com. We want to make sure everybody's belongings go back to their proper owners! Thank you!

I may be opening a can of worms here, but why is the kitchen space now considered a private space, the same as a cabin/sleeping room/guild room? I understand that a theft (of IG money) took place this last event, and that it sucks IG. But, why isn't that area considered a public place? It's not warded (for obvious IG reasons, yes..) and there are many times it is left unattended, but often it is in sporadic times and for only a moment or so.

IMO, a player with the intent to steal should be able to go in there and clean that place out if the opportunity presents itself and they are able to do so without being caught. With this change, that IG thief now has to time the ability to get a marshal to them with that time being available and commit the crime with no-one else noticing that a person with a headband is watching someone else in the kitchen doing something, and with that noticing, be more apt to catch the thief in the act. Is that technically meta-gaming? Yes. Could that still very conceivably happen? Yes.

I thought the main purpose of having a marshal there to watch things in private areas was to help ensure that people weren't stealing/rifling through, what-have-you, people's personal stuff and to make sure there's no cheating going on (walking through circles, using pick locks when they don't have skill, etc.). No one "stays" in the kitchen and stores their OOG or IG stuff there, do they? (Besides food anyhow)

I realize that HQ is a "good guys" chapter, and the prevailing opinion (seemingly both IG and OOG) is that doing things like stealing, necromancy, etc, is wrong and takes away from the game. But, I think the purpose of the game/rules is to allow for these things to happen. In an already narrowed scope for a player to be the master thief "that they can't be" (in real life at least), this further restriction seems to be yet another way to say "we don't want you playing here."

***Please note (because I am paranoid-ally expecting some flaming, as I usually do when voicing unpopular opinions) that this is just in regards to the kitchen space. I completely get that cabins, sleeping rooms and the guilds (especially when used as sleeping quarters) should be controlled by marshal presence.***

I think Donna was trying to say that the theft that occurred in the kitchen was following the rules and is allowed because it was a public place, and it was in-game coin that was taken. So no body should be mad in real life over this, but in game their character can be furious.... Well... I guess they could be mad in real life too but it would be akin to your opponent taking your queen with a pawn because you werent paying attention.

I speculate that some other players were concerned about the in-game theft and wondered if there were going to have out of game police called. So I think Donna just wanted to re-educate everyone on the rules just for clarification.

Please, correct me if that was not your intention, Donna.

Matt

I get that, and I do think that's the intent. But she also states:
A marshal must be present for theft in private areas. The "cabins" ruling extends to in-game tents, private rooms, and any other in-game sleeping space. This also includes the Healer's Guild, the Mage's Guild, and, from now moving forward, the kitchen area.

So, I'm just questioning why the kitchen area is now considered a private area.

I expect the reason for that is because people's personal possessions are being placed in the kitchen while they are providing a service to the rest of the players.

IE.,: I am making and serving dinner. While doing that, for the safety of both myself and others, I do not have my spirit link sword and shield attached to me and I've put my belt with all my pouches to one side while I work over the oven and hot plates. Someone comes in, sees a sword, and goes to steal it per the thief rules.

Making it a private space gaurauntees that those on HQ staff (and their volunteers providing a service to us), do not lose personal possessions for out of game safety and cleanliness reasons. It's the same reason we have a marshal present in cabin that can help determine if what is taken is IG or OOG and helps assure no ones real things are taken.

Kelsey said literally all of the things I wanted to say, so let me just add that I am glad this is being handled in such a professional and non-intrusive manner. By all means, steal from the tavern! With a marshal present to ensure you steal the right stuff and don't accidentally ruin the props or hurt yourself.

Making it a private space gaurauntees that those on HQ staff (and their volunteers providing a service to us), do not lose personal possessions for out of game safety and cleanliness reasons. It's the same reason we have a marshal present in cabin that can help determine if what is taken is IG or OOG and helps assure no ones real things are taken.

Kelsey hit the nail on the head here. The kitchen is now considered a "private space" for the purposes of in-game theft marshaling for exactly these reasons: those who work on kitchen staff must put down their things, whether or not they are Spirit Linked, so as to serve the rest of the community. A potential thief may not know which things are Spirit Linked or which things are in-game stealable.

This is also a safety issue. The kitchen has numerous potential dangers (e.g., open flames, extremely hot cookware, knives, etc.) that can be wildly unsafe for players if left unsupervised.

Lastly, we share the kitchen with other LARPs at the site and as such, the other LARPs have their own belongings in the kitchen. Making sure a marshal is present during an in-game theft ensures that nobody accidentally steals something which belongs to one of the other LARPs.

This doesn't mean no one can go into the kitchen to steal something in-game, it just means you need a marshal present for the sake of everyone involved with kitchen staff.

Thanks for the explanation. I can understand the reasoning behind the change. Still think it should be considered a public space, but I get the need to protect the volunteers and the spirit in which the change is made.

Thanks,
Kathy

Just to clarify: it's public in the sense that you can still go in there as much as you were previously (for example, I'll still be RPing in there), it's just private in the sense that it requires you to make sure there's at least a marshal present when you want to take a thing.

Just to clarify: it's public in the sense that you can still go in there as much as you were previously (for example, I'll still be RPing in there), it's just private in the sense that it requires you to make sure there's at least a marshal present when you want to take a thing.

Exactly. This is purely for the sake of theft mechanics. You don't need a marshal for every time you enter the kitchen, only when you intend to steal something.

I'd like to ask a marshal to follow me 100% of the time. That way when I get around to stealing something, no one's wondering why there's a white headband standing near me :) (I didn't steal anything from the kitchen... yet)

Edit: ~Vox

Ah, so you're looking to metagame. Don't. :p

Unfortunately the head of the food committee plays a biata and is quite serious about the no ward thing.

Bill

Reactions: Vox
Back