In-genre bags and backpacks?

I've been looking around shops and found that it was a tad difficult finding "in-genre" bags and backpacks at a decent cost. Do people carry around in-genre bags or is most LARPing possible without lugging a bag with rope and water and rations and a knife and etc.?

I do have a nice leather box, but its quite small, and probably could carry only the essentials (rope, knife, book, coin bag).

You can haul all that stuff, and I've surprised the heck out of a few plot people on mods by having something in my pack that they didn't expect. That said, it's mostly heavy and not terribly useful in day-to-day play.

I carry one of these in black, and while it isn't in-genre per se, it passes the 10 foot rule and holds everything that I need for most mods.

General contents :

50' of light rope
Small knife
Candle
Matches
Coin purse
Liquid Light
OOG headband

Plus a few odds and ends.

Muir's link is what i use, two of them. you can also look at military surplus stores for canvas shoulder bags or canvas backpacks if you want the extra space/comfort. They are not always useful for day to day carrying, but good if you want to set up a "medic/triage" station during a combat.

Modified bag from military surplus. Basically if its made of plain canvas, its a good candidate for use as is or modified.

Attachments

• 11091246_776250655777637_3397315293069942944_n.jpg
    11091246_776250655777637_3397315293069942944_n.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 54
I have two bags that were made for me by another LARPer. They simply took two Ugg boots that they bought at Goodwill for a couple of bucks, cut off the foot part, sewed up the bottom and added some flaps and some belt loops onto the backs. I love them and they've held up well.

Alternatively, Mosin-Nagant ammo pouches seem to be very prevalent, at least here in the PNW, because they are leather and look the part. Occasionally you can find a good steal on eBay as well.

The Mosin-Nagant ammo pouches are hard leather btw. They are very loud if you put any coins in them. Also, be sure to keep them dry as mine got wet and molded.

You can engage in some entertaining roleplay by having a backpack full of stuff, but in the end you don't really need it.

You can get cool pouches by going to thrift stores and looking for in-genre leather purses. cut off the strap and make them into belt loops or leave it as is. My favorite pouch is one I got from a ren faire, though.

I tend to carry my bedroll, 50' of rope, flint and tinder, and waterskins in a bindle tied to my 10' pole. Fortunately, I don't use encumbrance rules, so it's never an issue to carry it.

In all seriousness, I have found MOLLE pouches and bags to be a lifesaver, especially since they can be nested and attached to each other if lopsidedness becomes an issue.

General contents :
Candle
Matches
Coin purse
Liquid Light
OOG headband

Plus a few odds and ends.
I tend to carry my bedroll, 50' of rope, flint and tinder, and waterskins in a bindle tied to my 10' pole. Fortunately, I don't use encumbrance rules, so it's never an issue to carry it.

Is that a DnD reference? XD That's awesome. I half-have a mind to play DnD 5E or Alliance's tabletop game at the event this weekend in a few hours, but it seems a tad, mm... redundant. xP

WOW, holy crap, ya carry that much stuff with ya? No joke, the bags look AMAZING, but gosh that's a lot of storage space.

I've actually taken to just carrying a lot of squares of fabric and sarongs myself... then when I need a bag, I use furoshiki techniques.

Back