"In period" containers for carrying food

I've brought baked goods up to Alliance since I started playing in '98. I've always used plastic tubs because it keeps the food fresh, and it's easy to carry when I also have to carry around weapons. I've often thought about trying to find a better solution that would fit in more with the game, but I never really found anything I liked. Keeping the food fresh is obviously the most important thing for the players.

What I've been wondering was if someone had a recommendation for an air-tight container that would keep the food fresh, but look much better being carried around IG. Different sizes would be nice, but I would really be interested in one I could fit 40-50 pieces of baklava in. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hrm. Hobby Lobby here has had several very nice shallow wooden chest-type boxes for $20-30 last time I checked. I'm not sure if I'd trust them for direct food storage, but you could probably find one that a plastic container will fit inside pretty easily.

I have a similar idea to the box idea but more along the lines of making suitable for food. Take a container you have already and try to make a wooden box around it. You can paint it and carve it for display as well. That way it's custom made to how you like it, air tight, and more importantly Ok to contain food without it being toxic. The only thing I can think of being a problem is using it in a warm or flamable environment :? .

Other then that how about these:
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/Re ... ories.html

A bit on the spendy side though.

B~>

jpariury said:
Why not wrap your OOG, safe and easy-to-use container in leather or some such?

I would think leather would be more expensive then wood. $7 dollars a pound last I checked was the price for scrap at Oregon leather. You can get a couple of boards of wood for, I would think, half that. Get some elmers glue, nails, or what have you and it's ready to rock. But then again it would take more time and the right tools to make it. The prices, as well will vary from place to place.

I had another idea for something even cheaper. Get a roll of wax paper and wrap your food stuffs in it tie some string around it to keep it together and there you go. You can use it in the oven, it's water tight,it's cheap and easy to make.

B~>

Thank you very much for making an effort.

As you know, in Ashbury we try very hard to keep the tavern IG. If people come in with a can or bottle of water, we always ask them to pour it into a mug we will provide. While most players love this and happily request cups when they come to the tavern, I am somewhat frustrated by certain players who think this is an inconvenience and who grumble when I so request.

Fearless Leader said:
Thank you very much for making an effort.

As you know, in Ashbury we try very hard to keep the tavern IG. If people come in with a can or bottle of water, we always ask them to pour it into a mug we will provide. While most players love this and happily request cups when they come to the tavern, I am somewhat frustrated by certain players who think this is an inconvenience and who grumble when I so request.

I love how the tavern has their own mugs that you can pour your beverage in. I drink a ton of bottled water when I'm playing, but usually I just go back to my room to drink it. I always hated pulling a bottle out of a bag and drinking it while playing. It's nice to also have the option to pour the water in the mug while sitting in the tavern.

Back to the food thing--if someone from HQ would want to make a container I'd be willing to pay for materials + time. Something simple would be great. I think the wax & string idea is a great temporary fix until a more permanent structure could be made. The more I think about it the more I believe wood would be ideal. Something I could just stick my entire plastic container in would work best. That way the food stays fresh, but I don't have to walk around with a big plastic container. It only gets seen when I'm actually serving the food. This keeps the food fresh and hides the ugly plastic tub.

edit: I'm scanning eBay right now while at work looking for wooden chests I could use for food. So far I found some very reasonably priced items, but I need to go home and measure my tub first to make sure it would fit. Hopefully I'll have something for this event. *fingers crossed*

Gee-Perwin said:
jpariury said:
Why not wrap your OOG, safe and easy-to-use container in leather or some such?
That sounds simple & cheap, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just not very good at designing and building stuff like that.
Are you looking for something specific to a genre or culture, or do you just want "not tupperware/plastic/pringles can"?

Something plain is good. Nothing fancy, in terms of design and what not.

Hey, check this out:

http://www.woodchests.com/Product.aspx? ... uctId=4305

The large one would fit my plastic container perfectly and it looks nice. The price is right, too, and shipping is less than $15. I think I may go with this. This site actually has a lot of reasonably priced containers that would be great for all kinds of IG stuff (trapping, team treasures, etc).

You could just toss your plastic container inside a basket. Cheap, simple, and easy to carry.

I can build some stuff if in the end you want a different feel. I've been home nearly a week and haven't started a single woodworking project which is getting to me. If you had other items barrels were the storage container of choice for everything (even dry goods). I can't say I can make barrels cuz I haven't tried but I can make chests and other wooden containers easily (tho my prices will represent hand made and custom made items). Keep an eye out for a marketplace post.

I think I'm just going to deal with the plastic container for one more event, but pick up a nice, wooden or leather chest-type box to carry the food around. Something big that can fit a few different things. I just don't have the extra funds to be buying something like that today so I'd have it by the next HQ event.

Just a quick one about drinks. You can get pretty cheap "wine skin" looking things from most camping stores. Sure they have a plastic lid/mouthpiece and whatnot, but they look way better than a plastic water bottle or drink can. The outside is cheap leather, the inside is actually a plastic bag. You can fill em up from a water bottle pretty easily. Most even come with a string/rope to make it easy to sling over your shoulder and carry. I'm pretty sure they can also withstand boffer hits.

The only thing to note is that if you put a strongly flavoured drink in there, the following few refills will be tainted with that flavour. I also suggest adding a bit a lemon to your water to add a bit of flavour and mask any plastic/old drink taste.

In any case, they're a step up from water bottles for in period garb.

-Jonathan

Back