In the Magi council chambers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythic

Baron
"He's gone mad!" exclaims Magi Farr'Shen. The mighty Saar Lion paces the room, paws clenching and unclenching, muscles tensing as he moves from one side of the room to the other. "He's in fits of screaming then moments of pure clarity" remarks Magi Kurak the Stone Elf, drawing a scowl from the Saar. "Well whatever his temperament he is still our King" Magi Corstar interjects and the other nod solemnly. "Yes, of course he is" Magi Rhialto begins "but he is in no shape to run Calandonia. His times of lucidity are overshadowed by his outbursts of anger and pain. I do not think he should sit upon his throne until this turmoil stops. Think of all the treaties he has been working on. What would the Dark Elves think? Of the Sultan of the Desert Barbarians. We need those Uruzaries and having a raving mad man spewing venom from the throne would not be taken as a capable leader."

The debate rages on in the Chambers while the ArchMage sits calmly in the centre of it all. Listening to all his Magi's concerns and complaints. The return of King Ulric was supposed to lighten the burdens upon the Regent, allowing him to resume his role as Steward to the Kingdom and let him pursue the matters of the Arcane Sanctum. Now it seems there is more to be concerned with. Why is the King acting this way? He awaits word from the Fatespinner as to the mental state of his King and friend. Sighing he sits back in his chair and continues to listen to his council, not really paying attention to their words as he is lost in the contemplations of what must be done next.

Dated October 29th, 2013

The ArchMage has been here before. Not in the sense of this chamber, but in the moment of heated debate between the Magi of the Sanctum. He sits back, letting each Magi speak their minds, and let spill their emotions. Fear, hope, praise, concern, anger, jubilation and more pour from each of his Magi, well except Kurak. That Stone Elf never has shown any emotion, as is his race's nature. But not even an upturned eyebrow in surprise, anger or anything. Yet his words show the passion of his reasoning, both for good and ill of the recovery of the Blade of Destiny. The ArchMage's inner contemplation is snapped when Magi Far'Shen asks him a pointed question. "Why should we re-assemble the Blade ArchMage? Why should we take the terrible chance that this weapon will change the fate of Calandonia for the better, when it is unclear that it will not change our fate for worse?"

All members of the Magi Council pause in their conversations, whether between themselves or shouts at the previous comments of other Magi. The silence carries weight. Long moments pass as all eyes are upon the ArchMage, Steward of the Realm, and head of the Arcane Sanctum.

"Because the King wishes it." The ArchMage states. Calmly and almost coldly. The "matter of fact" tone in his voice shows there really cannot be further debate on the merits of the Ritual. "But", the ArchMage continues and of the Council continues to wait for the next part, "we do not have to do this, nor should we do this, right at this moment." The ArchMage looks to Magi Kurak. He notices that the expression on his face changed, almost unperceivable to most, but the ArchMage has known Kurak for many decades and finally, he has witnessed the Stone Elf's façade crack. That brought a quick smile to his lips, but then almost as fast as the Stone Elf's face changed, so to does the ArchMage. Turning his attention back to the gathering of the Council he continues.

"We all know that during the King's, stay, with the Medusa, he was under their influence. So far the Witch, Nadja, has told the Fatespinner that her 'detoxification' concoctions have worked but there is one more stage to go. Whether that is true has yet to be seen. I have heard tales from several of the members of Parson's Breach that when confronted by the Medusa, the King was smitten with the female." Murmurs ripple through the chamber at that statement. Az'Caine raises his hand to command silence and the Magi respond quickly. "While we were at the Breach recently, one of the members, Garridan, produced the females’ head to the King as a trophy. His reaction was, well, normal, I believe would be the response. He did not weep, he did not cry out in anger, so maybe the grip she had on him died with her. Unfortunately we will not know for certain, and my never know if this ‘Syndicate’ makes no further attempt upon the King or the Blade. I highly doubt that they are through with it though.”

“What of the prophecy of the Blade?” Magi Rhialto interjects. “It was said that the Blade, when assembled, would either give the lands the Hope they need by uniting everyone under the King’s banner, or destroy the lands through the actions of the King. It was said that it is the Heart of the King that would determine our Fate. But if he is still under the influence of the Medusa, what does this mean for the prophecy?”

“Rhialto, the prophecy is not that direct. What Xyrophanlixix spoke to me at the Isle was ‘The Blade of Destiny is delicately balanced. It is a force that will change the lands of Calandonia. Whether for good or evil is dependent upon who wields it. If their Heart is pure and is only for the good of the Lands, the Lands will prosper. But if the Blade’s wielder’s Heart is not pure, then the Lands will see a Darkness not known since the Great War with Al’Zoon. The Blade cannot be lied too. It will look into the deepest part of the wielder’s Spirit and it will know the truth. It will attune itself to the desires of the wielder. Some legends say that the Blade was last held by Al’Zoon himself and it was only through the great efforts of others to separate the Blade from him. They could not destroy it, only separate it. The Hilt without the Blade means nothing. Both must be reunited in a very complex Ritual.’ Now, with that being said, there are things we can do to mitigate any residual influence that Al’Zoon may have had upon the Blade. There are Rituals of Cleansing that can be done to both the Blade and the Hilt before we dare combine them. The catalysts are among the most rare in Calandonia, but not unobtainable. I have had a visit with the Kanask elves recently and they assure me that they still possess the Ritual knowledge to cleanse the Blade and Hilt. It took some very delicate negotiations, but I believe we have also found the locations of the catalysts. Negotiations will have to be even more diplomatic with the denizens of the lands we must go to for them. I will take with me a select group of people. They have shown to the King and myself that their hearts are truly for the betterment of Calanda. I know that force of arms would not work to attempt to take the catalysts. There are specific trials that those who go will be subjected too. Some may not survive.” The ArchMage lets his words hang for a bit. Az’Caine looks to each Magi to note their expressions, or lack thereof. Once confident that they have accepted the information he continues.

“I will deal with the King and his impatience directly. I know he can be recklace with his own body, but I truly know that his heart, when not influenced by outside forces, is for the betterment of Calandonia. He has strived to unite the lands, but it has fallen upon the deaf ears of former allies. Hopefully when we reunite the blade, these factions will come back to the Grand Council and give us a united force for what is coming through the barriers of the Dark Reaches.”

Almost as an afterthought he looks to Magi Kurak “Kurak, ensure that your Adeptus Majors’ continuously watch the lands near the Breach and Calanhelm for Fey incursions. If they portal in, I want to be notified immediately.” The ArchMage does not have to look to Magi Kurak to know that the Stone Elf has already nodded his understanding. Az’Caine continues.

“It has been a long day, several of them. We will reconvene in one weeks' time. We need to discuss the Tower of Al’Zoon and the problems stemming from the failed seals upon it.” With that said the ArchMage dismisses the Magi and retires to his personal quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back