Information on The Galdyr

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Greeting,

I've seen the posters on the boards and my tavern just got one delivered today. I've heard rumblings of these creatures, but nothing concrete. Can anyone advise me and others on what they are, what they look like, strengths, weaknesses and what happened the last encounter the notice describes?

Any information you have to tell told through the dreaming is preferred for maximum visibility.

I may be a bit late on the Friday of market, but I'll be present all day Saturday of it.

- Knight Captain Cassandra Malvern

I was there for the first attempt on the creature's lair. It appeared that the brood actively can syphon magic. The less members of the species were able to Dispel battle magic with surprising ease, while the more powerful members could utterly destroy formal magic with a swing of their claw/talons. We noticed that there seems to be some form of hive-mind as magic that charms or calms had no effect upon them.
I am sure there is more, but this is what I am able to recall as of now.

-Travis Winters

They are numerous and relentless. As Travis said, they are all able to dispel magic by the scratch of their claws, and approximately 10-20% of their number are capable of destroying formal magic via a spell strike without incantation. They are coordinated enough to drag us away to ensure our resurrection. They are capable of both dodging spells and resisting magic.

-Beryl M.R.

Well ****, guess we're going just going to go in swinging with every blade we got then.

Cass

Additionally, they would cart off our fallen to make them join their ranks. There were numerous Adventurers that had their minds afflicted and seemed to be Enslaved. I recall a couple people who lost all of their memories as well due to being taken and later retrieved.

We originally went in to retrieve the towns lost magicians, but found they were transformed into these creatures as well. We all agreed it would be best to destroy these abominations, but we're unable to do so at the time. I think one of the magicians was disposed of, but I may be wrong.

Venrick Starbreaker

Please please tell me that these Galdyr are not related to the Brood. Do we know of any weaknesses? Alchemy, a certain elemental flavor, silver, etc?

Thank you for the head's up on the enslaving part, I will be sure to have a few extra from my stocks brought with me.

~Glenn Stormwolf
Guardian of the First Tree

I'm not familiar with the Brood. Hopefully you can tell us more if they are. We think they came in on a ship a separate Mage brought in with him. But thats speculation.

There wasn't anything that I found effective other than standard blades and arrows. As Beryl stated, magic wasn't a good choice. Specifically I recall silver furred ones that could utterly destroy magic items. If I recall, there was about a quarter to a third of the Adventuring party afflicted by Enslavements by the time of retreat.

Venrick Starbreaker

To my knowledge, nothing is related to Brood anymore, they were eradicated years ago, though they may take a passing semblance. As for weaknesses, they are vulnerable to being beaten to death with weapons and not much else. If you're a spell caster, give up on affecting the stronger silver ones. Even if you elementally augment your spells, they'll Dodge at least the first one. If you're just casting spells it'll take at least 4 of them to start affecting them.

-Beryl M.R.

Information that was attained for sure:

They go after the strongest magics possible- the higher your skill, the more tasty you are.
They are hive-minded. The broodmother controls them all.
They, though specifically the broodmother, enslave others. We went through at least eleven on my last count this last market day.
They can destroy magic, including formal circles of power that were protecting the batteries.

This is what I have from my notes last market day regarding them.

Back