Instruction on Small Group Fighting

Polare

Count
Greetings, Adventurers of the Front.

There's been some concern that group battles are not coalescing well in the last few gathers. Where we have had a single leader appointed to call out actions (such as Squire Eldor) things have gone well, but at other times groups have not necessarily self-organized effectively - and traditionally, this community has relied strongly upon groups banding together and fighting alongside one another in an organized fashion to help hold the line against various threats facing our society. We've not done well when trying to fight as a large force in e.g. a shield line; our adventuring forces here seem to do better as smaller skirmish groups working alongside one another to cover the total area we're working in.

I have significant experience in working with, and at times leading, small groups in battle, and I like to think that I have been successful in doing so. I don't know that any formalized training in such has ever been offered to many of our younger adventuring folk. Would there be any interest if I were to hold a training session at the next gather? Topics would include:

- What a group on the battlefield actually means
- How such a group might be organized
- Ways to best utilize each others' resources
- Patterns and styles of fighting so as to be most effective
- How to work alongside other similar groups to hold or achieve a specific objective

This would cover both impromptu groups and regular groups. You are welcome to attend whether or not you are part of an established group, as we all need to be able to self-organize effectively on the battlefield when the town as a whole is threatened.

Please let me know if you would be interested in attending. If there is no interest, I will not hold the session.

-Lord Polare Lissenstine

Lord Polare,

I would be interested in such a class. When were you thinking of teaching it?

Respectfully,
Kel

The house of the rising Star would like to volunteer to help you run this training session as well as help give people some one on one help where needed

Since there is interest, I'll plan on putting something together. I will find out an appropriate time and place, but it would likely be Saturday afternoon at the next weekend gathering in a couple of months.

The house of the rising Star would like to volunteer to help you run this training session as well as help give people some one on one help where needed

I appreciate the offer! I will definitely need a few volunteers to demonstrate specific points I will be making. However, if you have your own instructional methods and techniques in mind, I would recommend setting something up of your own as a separate followup - it can be counterproductive to have two different instructors teaching multiple perspectives in the same session. For this session, I have a specific format and curriculum in mind that I believe would be best presented uninterrupted.

-Lord Polare Lissenstine

Lord Polare,

I know the feeling of what is said and gathering up and training such groups would be a great boon to us all. If needed I could listen in and assist as needed as I have had to lead small groups before since I can no longer do well in battle myself. I might benefit seeing how someone as seasoned as your self would setup and instruct.

-Xavic

Unfortunately, the business - and weather ! - of the last couple of gathers has prevented this session. As this is something best done outside, I'll look to walk through this seminar - weather and external events permitting, of course - during or shortly after lunch time on this upcoming Saturday. I will post a flyer in the tavern with the final time and update it if necessary.

-Lord Polare Lissenstine

Back