Interest in Alternate Campaign

I am curious as to the interest level for an alternate SoMI campaign that runs a couple of times per year and has low/no magic items to start (or perhaps ever, or perhaps only if PC created), and a build cap of maybe 80-100 to start. Think what it would be like if no one had a life spell or there was only one or two in town, and having a confine batlle magic scroll made you epic. I'd definitely try such a campaign, and my guess is others would too.

The advantages to having such a campaign include giving the main plot team a rest while an alternate team pinch hits and allowing players new and old to experience the game in a different way. Also, for people that don't like a high magic game or only like that kind of game, it gives the option to participate only in what you like, or both.

There'd have to be a in-game reason for the place to be low power, but that's nothing that can't be overcome.

Thoughts?

Joe / Stremthi

You had me at hello.

(and "build cap")

I'd be down either playing or running an event like that.

Steve

I would rather the game that we play right now. I would not be adverse to a couple games like that but personally I think we just need to work on the game that we have currently. I would rather right a ship going wrong. Otherwise to me it feels like we are just abandoning yet another ship, which always sucks. People put a lot of time effort and everything else into the characters they have now. It might actually be cool to have 2 events like we used to in Kzoo. Have one Detroit chapter and one Kzoo one. That seemed to work well. I am down to try anything just putting in my two cents though :). I just want to play with my friends from down south, no matter how I have to do it.

I don't think we'd be abandoning a ship at all. To be clear, if I had to choose a type of game, I'd play an epic magic game as we currently have. I love that style of game and think it can be just as scary and fun as a low magic / low power game. But people are struggling with the power level in the existing game and trying to figure out ways to fix it. I personally don't think it is broken or needs to be fixed, and I also think that any "fix" has the potential to screw up what I believe is a good thing. It is just a different kind of game than some people like to play. So why not provide that kind of game as well via an alternate campaign? SoMI, as a single chapter, can do just that. If some people like just one style of game or the other, they can PC just those events. And heck, maybe they NPC for the other campaign. But my point is that they are not mutually exclusive.

Also, most of the "improvement" points can be applied equally to both campaigns. Moving logistics, for example, would apply to both campaigns. Staying more in game. Not complaining. More short term plots. All of those and many of the other suggestions apply to both types of campaigns. So doing these things to "right the ship," so to speak, can and should be done regardless of whether there is an alternate campaign. Adding an alternate campaign doesn't mean we are abandoning the main campaign.

But starting a low magic / low power alternate campaign gives something that the existing game doesn't, which is why I am excited about the idea. Here's a little more food for thought. It's the most extreme version I could think of, and any or all of these points would of course be subject to the PtB (powers that be). My take, though, is that if you are going to do an alternate campaign for the stated purpose of running a lower power / lower magic campaign, do it to the max.
--80 build cap for the first event.
--No magic items for new characters.
--No goblin point buy magic items in the campaign at all, ever.
--No PC can check in a magic item from another campaign, ever (assuming this is permissible under the National treasure policy; at a minimum, you could lock down the LCO transfer policy for this campaign).
--No goblin point buys for mundane items (potions, scrolls, etc.), ever.
--No magic items are put out by plot (or only very few, and only for very good reason, and only if they have names/histories/etc.).
--The only way to get a magic item in this campaign would be to make it as a PC, after gathering the necessary components and finding the scroll.

Think about what a game like that would be like.
--An armorsmith would be critical, because not everyone would have a max arcane armor suit and because not everything would be rendered.
--There might actually be a reason to play an artisan or craftsman, because people can't take alchemy three then amass poisons at logistics with goblins.
--Having scrolls and potions might turn the tide of a battle.
--Having high magic to cast a cloak would actually matter, because cloaks wouldn't be readily available.
--Magic blade spell would matter.
--Having a magic-to-hit NPC would be scary as hell.
--Celestial magic would be more critical, because not everything would have a bagillion body due to the overall lower power level of the game.
--Shatters and disarms (cast and prepare-to-die) would be as powerful as they were designed to be, because not everything is rendered and spirit linked/locked.
--Healers by class would actually be relevant because not every fighter has a tree of healing activates (the often discussed, and sometimes reviled, "pocket healer").
The list goes on and on...

Although I do love a high magic style of game, I can tell you that thinking and talking about this today has excited me tremendously. What's your take??

Joe

I am a permanent runner in my home chapter so I only get to play my character when I travel. I only get to travel a handful of times per year, so when I do I want to play my character. I would have to create an alt just to play in a low level campaign, and probably only do that once. I can see how playing a lowbie event could be fun, but I don't really have the time and resources to commit to it. I would have to say that I can support the idea in theory, but not in practice.

I would be interested in this if it was run alongside the main campaign. Not instead of the main campaign. So we have 6 events scheduled for next year. If we have the player base, and plot staff to run it, I would be in favor of adding events to get the alt campaign going.

It would be fun to have an alt campaign. I think I agree with Tadron in that I want to get some momentum going with the main plot before splitting potential player focus. If it adds on to the season, great! let's do it.

-Joe

I am definitely not suggesting an alternate campaign in place of the existing one. As I have mentioned in other threads, I am totally pumped about the plot that has been introduced by the new team in the existing campaign, and I am very much looking forward to playing that (and everything else they have in store!) out in full next season.

With only 6 events scheduled for next year, I'd agree that we should add events for an alt campaign. I also agree that the main campaign should run before any alt campaign, to get people into it and whatnot. The bummer is that we're looking at an event in February and nothing until May. So if we wait a couple of events in, half of 2011 is gone before there would be an opportunity to do it. Any chance we could get another main campaign event in between February and May and then have the May event be an alt? Otherwise, maybe the June event could be the first alt campaign? Just tossing out some ideas.

The six events is based on not having back to back events, as well as the fact that our camp is a very popular one based on its location. Some things are in the works to look at other camp sites for some additional events as well as the long event.

Tank

I would be VERY interested in this type of campaign. I would like to give some reasons but, it's late and I can't think right now. I saw this post and got so excited I needed to say I would love to play in a campaign like this.

Back