Interested in Larp

I ran across Larp and it looked interesting i use to rpg back in the early to late 90's and was wondering what woould the overall cost on am average would be to start and the equipment. i am in North east Pa

for no more than a membership fee which is $15-$30 a year, depending on which chapter you choose to play at, you can NPC (which is advised for your first few events) with no other costs or fees.

After that the game will cost however much you decide to put into it.

Some chapters, I believe, even keep their game entirely free for NPCs, as well as feed them for the event (day/weekend/etc.).

As for a starting investment for a PC character, it really depends on what you've got lying about in your closet...not to scare anyone off, but I would estimate that I probably put in about $200 into my garb, armor, and weapons over the course of my life. Maybe $50 of that was spent when I joined Alliance. The rest came from doing Renaissance Faires and such. Others probably spent less than that on their garb by making it, themselves, or borrowing from friends and family, perhaps. On the high end, I know of some who have spent around $2,000 on their armor alone.

It all depends on what you want your character to look like and how much you have available to invest. If you find yourself in need of some funds for a new piece of garb/armor during the development of your character, just NPC a few events and save that cash up to purchase your new piece. You'll still get the XP for your character, too!

-Luke

I'm sure there's a "How to gear up for your first LARP" somewhere.

Short answer - roughly $100-150+ to start off with.

Longer answer:

Here's a quick list of things:

Rulebook - $20 - this is the first thing for an Alliance game - even if you want to NPC, you should get one ASAP. They're on Amazon.com (including electric copy) or can usually be bought at the chapter itself.

Weapon - $15 - Using the weapon construction guidelines in the rulebook, and assuming you have such things as a hack saw already, you can make a decent weapon for under $15. Many people use 'advanced' weapon building techniques that use ultralight carbon fiber tube cores that would increase the cost by about $10 or you can get fancy and buy a latex weapon for anywhere from $60-$200 depending upon the shop. Note that if you NPC (Non-Player Character - you work as an 'actor' for the game, playing assigned roles and being the 'bad guys' that the players have to defeat), they'll have weapons for you to use.

Entrance Fee - $50 - this actually varies from chapter to chapter, length of event and such like. Usually though $50-75 is a price range. If you NPC though, usually the entrance fee is waived.

Food - depending on your appetite, just use the cost of what you think you'd need to spend on food for a weekend camping.

Costume:
This is the tricky part. It can be as elaborate or as simple as you like, and also depends upon your ability to sew. You can find many guides online on how to sew pants, shirts and even make period shoes. However, if you're looking just to buy, I'suggest finding a store that specializes in period items, shop eBay (using the term "LARP" in the search e.g. - LARP shoes) or look in the "Costuming and Props" area on these boards for people who make and sell such items. The following costs I'm taking from The Badger's Den - a LARP specific company that sells just about everything you would need for a game:

Shirt - $25
Pants - $25 (note a pair of black or dark sweats will work well for this)
Boots - This is tricky - finding a good and pair is something everyone is always asking for. Check the Costuming and Props section like I said - I'm sure a few are listed there. If you have a pair of non-descript boots or even moccasssins, they could work too. You won't be kicked out for wearing sneakers, just that it detracts a lot from the game.

I'll agree with most of what the above have said. The start up costs can scale a LOT.

If you wanted to go CRAZY, then the sky is the limit on what you can spend.

But, if you wanted to be conservative as you start, then you can definitely keep the costs down.

If you are looking to get into the game and get the most enjoyment/immersion for your buck, then recommendations are as follows:

1. Grab a copy of the rulebook. This can be done digitally for under $10. Knowing the rules and being comfortable with them will help enhance your enjoyment of the game more than any single piece of costuming ever could. It's like travelling to a different country. You can dress like them all you want, but you will likely enjoy yourself a WHOLE lot more if you speak the language.

2. Fancy Footwear goes last. Truly period footwear that functions for our game is pretty costly. But, a decent pair of brown/black hiking boots will serve you well without detracting from the game at all until you decide if you want to upgrade.

3. Focus on value first. Period shirts in various colors are relatively low in cost and are often interchangable between npc roles and characters. I'd focus on getting 1-2 of those before dropping big change on that character specific hat or jerkin.

4. Get comfortable pants. This may sound silly. But, this game is VERY active. Don't make yourself miserable trying to look cool. $20-$25 bucks buys a pair of plain black dickies work pants. They get the job done well and can go with just about anything. You'll easily get $20 bucks worth of use out of them by the time you decide to find something else.

5. Don't be cute with your weapons. I see a lot of players come in hungry to wield a matched daisho or some other veaily stylized weapon. The problems here are numerous, but ultimately you'll be either paying a foamsmith a premium to make it OR burning through a lot of resources making them yourself (and they might not even pass or work as well as you hoped). Keep it simple for your first few weapons. No one will look down on a new player who fights with a straight bladed standard longsword and a coffin shield.

I'm sure other people will have strategies and tips too. These are just some of the things that I have seen work.

Stephen
National PR

Just pointing out how we have different expectations sometimes.

The start up costs you need for costumes and weapons is much less than you would need for skiing, even taking into consideration rental of some of the skiing equipment. Alliance provides a weekend of fun, gives you a place to sleep, sometimes provides food for free, and all for about $1.25 an hour (admittedly that counts time asleep). That's cheaper than a movie. Even camping by itself will cost you more.

So when people sometimes go "Hey, this hobby is expensive" I just ask "Compared to what?" :thumbsup:

Also, hailing from Northeast PA you are in a pretty good spot to be able to make it to a few chapters pretty easily. HQ/Ashbury and Crossroads/Catskills come to mind right away so traveling won't be so bad.

Back