Into the tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hmm, mostly just trying to develop Alchemy recipes that don't taste or smell awful; after I made those Intoxicates that tasted like vanilla cake, I figured I'd try to make other nice flavours." Phalaenopsis replied, plopping down into Calan's vacated chair, "So far it's been very hit and miss. Making anything taste like chocolate has been fruitless so far, but I've managed to make a lot of different fruit flavours and scents come out nice. Once I figure out how to add the cream flavour without messing it up, peaches and cream Enfeeble Elixirs will be good to go, then I'll probably work on making pumpkin pie Paralysis Gas."

He gave Gabriella a smile that made it clear that the vial he'd given her was his latest experiment, then took another sip of his drink. "And how about you? Besides courtship, have you been up to anything interesting?"

"Ohhh I didn't think those flavors would be possible. Have you been able to make any citrus type of flavors yet?.

She goes and takes the vial she received out and pops open the top. Lightly wafting the scent with her other hand she tries to figure out what the possible flavour this one was.
Unable to identify she puts it back stumped.
Shaking her head at his second comment she thoughtfully looks up to the rafters.

"I swear this town can be more invested in my personal life then I am some days"

She takes a quick glance across the room then refocuses on the two people in front of her.

Rohnan looked slightly smug as she walked back to the table holding three of the mugs of mulled wine. She placed two on the table and kept the third for herself and sipped the drink slowly.

Reaching out and grabbing a mug, she takes a deep breath in enjoying the aromas of all the spices mixed together. She shoots Rohnan a look curiosity, looks back across the room, but turns back to Phal for his reply.

"I haven't really tried for citrus, but I've gotten strawberry mostly down pat for every recipe." Phalaenopsis said, "Granted, this is the first time I've tried to make something actually harmful taste good, and most of my other recipes have been for things like Poison Shields and Antidotes."

He took another drink as Gabriella inspected the Elixir, but when she didn't drink it and turned her gaze up to the ceiling, he furrowed his brow slightly in disappointment. 'I didn't think it smelled bad, but does it really not smell like anything to her?' he wondered, 'I get why she might not want to drink it, but surely it's not odourless.'

"Well, you know, Calan is also part of that courtship, and I've been watching both of you stagger towards a date like a toddler taking their first steps all summer, so it's nice to see the two of you finally have a drink together in private, even if it only lasted a little while. But I think--"

He cut himself off as Rohnan returned to the table; giving her a nod and a smile, he turned back to Gabriella and finished, "But I think you might want some more time alone before the night is over, so in the interest of being polite I'll stay for another few moments, and then return to my table. I am genuinely interested in what you've been up to outside of of your relationship with Calan, you know, if you feel up to sharing."

"Well so far it's just been the same old same old. I know I had lord Sayrn ask for some help with the oil recipe he found, I've looked everywhere I have access to, but have come up with nothing. I have been able to find information about the ingredients on an individual basis, but nothing about what the final results would be. I would attempt to make it myself but.... we have all seen those attempts."

A smile crosses her face as memory of her little potion roulette flashes across her mind. The amount of people willing to drink some unknown liquid without question for just a silver was now starting to make sense the longer she stayed in the lux.

"As for the..."

She lowers her voice and leans closer to Phal

"... possibility of courtship, well that was something that we have yet to discuss at all. At least not in person"

Looking around at the people at the table, she had this nice feeling in her chest. She had friends back home in Calanhelm, but those were her friends that her mother decided for her. The friends she had made here, were people she had chosen to trust.

Last edited:
Calan returns to his seat and takes his mug. He raises it as if to cheers everyone before taking a sip. He slings his arm over the shoulder of the sylvanborn he was now using a seat.

“You need not leave Phal, you’re welcome to stay. It’s more or less a family dinner. Besides any gentlemen would ensure there was supervisor here.” Calan pauses. He gestures with his cup towards those around them.
“That is customary of a proper courtship no?”

Last edited:
"You are not to far off, though supervision is normally a job that would be given to another female related or close to me. Its not normally the men that require the supervision."

Shrugging her shoulders she continues to sip at her drink.

" though at this point I have noticed even myself slacking off when it comes to high society rules. A noble has been seated at this table and not once have I properly greeted her. I do apologize for that Solvieg, I hope you didnt take any offence from me not getting up to greet you."

Sincerity filled her voice.

Solveig smiles at her friends.
“Well I’m really not that kind of noble, definitely don’t get offended by that sort of thing. I don’t mind if people want to call me lady Solveig, but at the end of the day, you guys are family, there’s no need for any special treatment. I married Sarryn for love, not for the title.”
She raises her glass and drains it.

Calan looked off into the distance at nothing in particular.
“I can understand that desire. Sometimes I see flashes of a distant shore, where the sand is white and the water is a turquoise. When I dream I can smell the air and feel the grains of sand veneers my feet. The sun is sinking into the waters way out in the distance turning the sky’s the most stunning colours. Up the shore there’s a three stringed upright instrument playing the most haunting but beautiful music. Just in the water there are three silhouettes an adult and two children playing in the waves. I feel happy, at peace and loved. The thing is the memory isn’t mine.” He looks across to Gabriella as he says the next part. “But I know I’d do anything to make memories just as fine as that.” Calan raises his glass. “To finding love.”

Listening to Calan as he recounts the memory of another, she imagines the scene in her own mind. Feeling as if the ocean wind was blowing through her hair, the last few rays of the sun keeping her warm. A smile on the face of a man standing on the beach... looking up she had no need to imagine that part. Without saying a word she raises her own drink in response, looking at the same face she had seen standing on the beach. She takes a quick steadying breath.

"Calan... would you.. mind stepping out for a moment. Not far, just off to behind the interior doors, Ill be there to join you in a minute. Just.. be sure to use that time wisely"

She takes a good hard look at the table top while taking a sip of her drink.

"So Rohnan, I haven't seen you around the Lux for while, what's been keeping you busy?"

Calan smirks, he ruffles Phals hair before getting up. Calan stood up and downed his drink.
“Well who could say no to that request, so... family dinner another time then.” He says. As he walks away he pulls the letter out from his pouch and opens it up.

Rohnan listened to Calan’s words of the memory that didn’t belong to him. She felt the presence in her own mind of the many people who occupied her own mind and had to focus to keep them at bay. The sound of her name caught her off guard and she had to think about the question for a moment before answering.

“I’ve been in the capital. I was doing some research at the Sanctum there. I’m really just back in the Lux for some supplies. I left some things behind at the house that I needed. I was going to set back out again tomorrow but Calan convinced me to stay for a few days to rest up a bit.” She said most of her words into her cup. “Besides, I’ve missed being here and the people.” She looked over at Phal and gave him a warm smile. “And I’ll continue to miss this place. As much as I feel like I don’t belong here it’s really started to feel like home.”

Last edited:
" Well I am glad he did, gives us time to catch up again. What sort of things have you been researching for the sanctum? That is if you are allowed to share that information".

Gabriella leaned on to the table, intent on looking forward and not watching Calan walk away. She goes to sip at her drink but finds it empty once again. Setting it aside and waiting for her friends response her leg starts to bounce under the table.

Rohnan shrugged “It was more personal research than anything official. My main focus was working with Magi Kalios on learning conjuring. An interesting subject but ultimately gibberish if you don’t have a solid foundational education in Celestial magics.”

Rohnan thought about going on a long tangent about the intricacies of the new branch of magic but decided against it. Not only was she not permitted to, she didn’t want to be the reason Calan didn’t get his due in the cloakroom.

“You don’t need a chaperone for when you fallow him, will you?” She asked with a cheeky grin.

Last edited:
Gabriella sighed, her head slumping to her chest, her hand brought up to rub the bridge of her nose.

"nope, fairly certain what I have planned has no need for a chaperone. "

Rising from her seat she dusts off some non-existent dust from her skirt, a nervous habit she had yet to rid herself of, and rolls her shoulders back.

"now if you will excuse me for a moment I believe by now I have a someone waiting for a proper discussion."

She begins to make her way over to where Calan was waiting

(conversation taken to PM)

“Proper discussion” Rohnan said almost mimicking as she turned to Phal and Solveig as she finally took a seat. “You know, I think I’ve used that euphemism before.” She grinned as she took a long drink. “Requires good oral skills”.

Turning the corner back in to the tavern, Gabriella takes one step in to as she hears a loud thud behind her. Turning to look at the noise she quickly brings her hand up to her mouth in shock.

"CALAN! Oh goodness, are you okay?"

she rushs back into the cloak room of the tavern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back