Introductions

Who are you? - Dave D, former NJ AHoP and GM, and current HQ Plot Member.
Where are you from? Originally NYC and now Philly
What do you play? Let's elaborate - I started out being a fan of D&D and Warhammer and read some comics online until I found one about LARPing. Having never heard of it before, I looked into it and found Alliance and decided 'hey why not?'. I put together the squeakiest hammer of all, a tunic and a make-shift faux leather kilt and drove 4 hours into NextToNowhere PA to go and play this game where I knew no one and had only the slightest idea of what I was doing. Thus Kantil DeManious VII, human fighter, was born and 3 years later, retired. Since then I've acquired and retired Rexsaurus, MWE "Healer" and all around bad guy, and am now playing Stephano Hallik, blooddrinking savage templar.
How long have you been playing? I know the event but forget when it was. But it's been about 3-4 years now.
What was your hook? I walked into my first event as we travelled our way to a castle/town under siege. I was only rocking 3 levels of poor choices for a young fighter. But there I saw this massive polearm being swung around cutting down everyone. And just before it ran one of them through, I ran up and smashed the weapon away with my squeaky hammer. I drew the ire of this mega-huge goblin-bugbear thing and was summarily beaten to a pulp. But hey, I was a hero, I saved someone's life in exchange for my own. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

That felt pretty cool. And that feeling of "Oh snap, I gotta save this person" and that level of immersion I had, grabbed me by the heart and has a hold on me to this day. Since then, I've played 7 Chapters and 2 National Events and am looking to visit everywhere at least once.

Who are you? - Ren, short for Loren and hopefully not to be confused with Lauren.

Where are you from? - Connecticut

What do you play? - My first PC is a MWE barehanded wide-base Earth Scholar working on becoming a bigger formalist and alchemist. She was a shield Rogue with alchemy and almost enough Earth spells to become an Adept, until my body said nope. She is based in Deadlands and sometimes travels to Ashbury. My second is a Sarr column-focused Earth Scholar from Nine Towers who has wanderlust and has been to Ashbury, Deadlands, and Urgwenteb. I am a full-time NPC for Caldaria and sometimes travel to NPC.

How long have you been playing? Since August 2012. About 40 weekend events across 7 chapters and some fair days.

What was your hook (what made you go, ZOMG LARP IS AMAZING)? - I was sent out to breakfast in townie clothes to be local scenery, and since I knew very little about the game world, I was ye random farmer who thought adventuring looked interesting and had nothing else to talk about. Things escalated quickly. Ahurac offered to teach this person a little about adventuring, starting with a lesson in swordsmanship via stabbing the foolish farmer and culminating with asking what she would do if he did the following: demand she drop her weapon, then back her across the tavern at sword point. Then he shouted at her to go home, and hot dang, I bolted out of there. And I was hooked for good.

I am Tony Mungo from Seattle, WA where I help to staff the chapter. I primarily play in the Oregon Campaign some 3-5 hours away cause I love me some game. Because I travel for work, I have been able to go to some other chapters as well as of late (Xroads+Gburg so far). I play a professional, bad decision making, fancy pants'd mess who started as a sword and board fighter, but has devolved into a inebriated **** talker.

I remember coming home one day, its 2010, my roommate was on the couch (as he always was...grad students, amiright?) watching a documentary about LARP in Seattle on netflix. So I sit down and start to watch. I recognize people in the movie as younger versions of people in my friends circle, and to my amazement the beautiful lady I have been dating for the better part of a year shows up on screen. She comes home, I berate her with questions! She feels mortified that I found the movie, but I tell her that I want to go try this thing out!! IT LOOKS AMAZING! I must go! A couple of months later we are at a friends house, its 11PM middle of winter (late January) they inform us that we have to stop hanging out because there is a game the next day! I lose my S. I convince Emily that we must go. We stop by Wallmart and I pick up grey sweatpants, our housekeeper (attorney at law) lets me have his giant black judges robes, I borrow weapons and a shield from other players that I have contacted on Facebook, and she benevolently rolls up a secondary character to play with me. We come in as 15 build Romani. There are 12 other Romani players around and they take one look at me, shake their collective heads, and drown me in scarves. I run around all weekend, no clue as to whats going on, lost as can be, doing things like calling out our rouges as they are behind enemy lines about to get the jump on the bad guys, catching all the packets with my shield, stepping up toe to toe with the BBG even though I can't get through its threshold (and thereby taking a space someone else probably could have used a little better), but through it all I had a nonstop blast! I was hooked, and have done everything in my power to make it to every game I could since!

But the real thing that made me go ZOMG ALLIANCE IS AMAZING came later that year when a group of players came up to the Seattle game from California. It was a brutal event where we fought multiple big bads, and at the end of the weekend, everyone got together at a friends house back up in Seattle and spent the whole night talking about Alliance. I swear I sat there wide eyed, for hours, listening to stories about peoples characters from all over the country (it helped that Ali and Shane were there), and it was then that the idea of being able to take the character I had been playing in one place, and be able to travel the country and take my own stories around with me really formed. I believe that was the moment that I truly was all in at Alliance, and haven't looked back since.

(My first game picture, the guy on the right is Seth, I met him that day and he has been a great friend ever since!)
1375605_10201477281087129_1271380616_o.jpg

Hi I'm Cass! I was born and raised in Bay Area, California but now I reside in the Seattle area (after a five year stint in Oregon). I play a Barkskin Dryad named Orin Sylvanus in the Oregon chapter, who has finally decided she wants to be Templar when she grows up, after starting as an Earth adept, and then going scholar; somewhere along the line people decided she seemed trustworthy and named her Ambassador.
I started playing in January of 2012, after my husband was seduced by Matt O, when they met in grad school. I kept hearing about how awesome it was as biweekly game nights, and I finally hoarded some time off to give it a try. As I mentioned in my Tuesday question post, I was terrified my first event, and I don't remember having an amazing time; but I went to another game at the Oregon chapter and got involved in more of the RP and story and somewhere along the way I joined NPC Guild for Seattle for a while, and became an unapologetic evangelical LARPer. It makes sense; I used to do first person historical interpretation as a kid, and tell stories to myself in high school (basically solo LARPing). I think I was born to be a LARPer, and Alliance continues to be a favorite.

Hej, I'm Lisataime, from British Columbia but living in Calgary. Been RPG ing for almost 30 years, when I finally found others.. basically, I grew up LARPing without knowing what LARP was... running around the mountain forests with only my imagination and a dog. Joined Alliance Alberta finally in April 2015, knowing nobody. My hook? Besides getting out of town to a forest, finding other people who owned more than one costume, and sword fighting? In game, I'm an NPC,because I haven't settled on a single character yet. several ideas.

Spindel is Swedish for spider.. and sspyndel is just my way of misspelling it :p

I'm Heather.
I'm originally from Kansas and moved to Seattle 11 years ago. If I had known it was called the Emerald City I may of reconsidered.
I play in Alliance Seattle, where I play a dryad earth scholar. I have always liked to play healers.
I have been playing Alliance about a year and a half now, but my LARPing starting in 2000.
My hook with LARPing was in the Camarilla back in October 2000 when I realized that I could have my gaming with a side of wearing costumes. I always liked theater and costuming but people tend to look at you weird if you do it every day. Now I love to see what I can make on a budget with thrift store shopping and hand making kit.

Last edited:
Howdy!

I'm Randy from Calgary! Been here since 2011, and foolishly only decided to get into LARP recently! My first event is actually going to be the Tavern Night on February 20th, and I can tell you, I am super excited to get involved! I'll be playing a human rogue...not quite sure how I'll play my character quite yet, but I'm excited to see how he/I grow. As for what got me into LARP? The LARPS youtube series!

So, Calgary people, I look forward to seeing you soon!

Back