Is it wrong to bane necromancy?

What is sad is that you wonder why so many people die around you.

Pfft... Reflecting Necromancy is wrong now too? Are you kidding? Let' just tie our hand' behind our back while we are at this. After all of the people who think that it is wrong to defend yourself die, those who are left can decide what is right and wrong then.

-Air Raksa

Air Raksa said:
What is sad is that you wonder why so many people die around you.

Pfft... Reflecting Necromancy is wrong now too? Are you kidding? Let' just tie our hand' behind our back while we are at this. After all of the people who think that it is wrong to defend yourself die, those who are left can decide what is right and wrong then.

-Air Raksa

Actually many around me LIVE Rock, including you, when I healed you in the battle against the undead. For a Mort I believe as well as giving you a spell shield AND a magic armor.

I dont think it wrong to defend yourself. I said morally... it is an ethical debate.

I like however the option of killing the necromancer before they can cast chaos at you in the first place.

~Glori

AllianceNJ said:
Actually many around me LIVE Rock, including you, when I healed you in the battle against the undead. For a Mort I believe as well as giving you a spell shield AND a magic armor.

I dont think it wrong to defend yourself. I said morally... it is an ethical debate.

I like however the option of killing the necromancer before they can cast chaos at you in the first place.

~Glori

We all fall in battle, sorella Glori. Awful rude to hold it 'gainst someone when dhey fell protecting dhe town, I t'ink.

But as far as killing a necromancer before dhey cast chaos...what dhis mean?

Fortune And Love And Pleasant Awakenings For All Dreamers,

~Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" Idumea Dagon

Air Raksa said:

-Air Raksa

Air Raksa,

Have we not already tied our hands behind our backs by refusing to use this foul magic that pierces flesh and armor and taints the very spirits of people and lands? It is certainly powerful, however we as a people have determined that it is wrong and therefore we will not use it. There's nothing wrong with defending yaself, however there is a point where defending ya life and defending ya beliefs must eitha meet for a common purpose or diverge and oppose one another. I once heard a wise person say that "The sight o' goodness undeterred has more power than all the forces on earth arrayed against it," and perhaps it was foolish o' me, but I believed her.

Necromancy is an ideal of powah that can only be defeated by an opposing ideal of compassion. No matter how long we live or how much damage we do to them, more necromancers will pop up until the ideal itself is defeated. Therefore, it does not bother me to give my life even with both hands tied behind ma back to oppose this ideal, and I will continue to do so until I awake at last in the Graveyards or the taint is stamped out forevah.

Even if those who continue on will determine the rightness or wrongeness of our actions, they cannot ignore the firmness of our convictions. I do not claim to understand the philosophical implications of baneing necromancy. Such things are beyond ma comprehension. But certainly there is a line to be drawn, and that line is not necessarily where the most lives will be spared.

Sparketet,

You must do what you feel in ya heart is right. As long as you follow those dictates, no matter what anyone says you cannot go astray for I believe that ya heart is true.

Man-at-Arm Sophia Dawne
Vex Squad, Untiring Phalabx, Legion D

This is indeed an intriguing quandary. Fortunately, as has been pointed out, the Bane ritual neither creates more chaos, nor does it taint the protected individual with the chaos magic. While it is unwise to bane chaos back to an individual who would be healed by it, it is moot since Bane is an intelligent effect, and controlled by the bearer. So, with these ideas in mind, I think it is safe to state that it is neither legally nor morally wrong to bane necromancy, as long as you are not healing the initial caster. If you bane the chaos and it heals the caster, I would say you have aided the enemy, and should be reprimanded after the battle is over, but not punished in a legal sense. There is enough stupidity on the battle field without creating more.

In Service

Lord High Magistrate Lauroc DerWyrvenhaus
Kinsman of Clan Harrington
Son of the Morian Highlands
Prideblooded of Wardonal
Chamberlain to the Formal Council of Arandin
Acting Lord High Judge of the Kingdom of Arandin
Lord of the Estate of Canning
Terennus Altus Magister

AllianceNJ said:
Excellent topic, I will bring this up at the next squires meeting in Icenia.
Thank you. I am flattered Lady Knight Glorianna. Please mention that the question was first posed by former squire, Sparktet Bone Littlebeard.

James Trotta said:
AllianceNJ said:
Excellent topic, I will bring this up at the next squires meeting in Icenia.
Thank you. I am flattered Lady Knight Glorianna. Please mention that the question was first posed by former squire, Sparktet Bone Littlebeard.

Just forget to mention that's he's on Black Forest. :lol:

Yes, well that was just an inheritance. I was a squire under Baron Agnar but I went to serve in the Ash Forest before he resigned. After a few years in the forest I learned that my team wears the same colors but has a different name, not to mention several different faces. Did I mention it was nice meeting you Redcloud?
Redcloud said:
Just forget to mention that's he's on Black Forest. :lol:

Sophia, I believe that necromancy is the very weakest of all magic. Vampire and Lich are the most pitiful and weakest moron', there mind is like that of a goblin. What they think is okay to do, is only because they hate themself'. Everyone think' that they are so strong, but they have so many weakness. I do not think they are ugly for not being pretty and smelling like feet, I think they are ugly on the inside: which is even more plain to see.

Air Raksa is walking around Fortannis, with a Reflect Magic on his spirit... some stupid pinky come' around and huck' a cause light wound' at me. It bounce back and kill the pinky, now Air Raksa is guilty of Necromancy, his spirit forever tainted, riddick tell him to kill himself in the dream realm, Ivan wont take him to the Ball, he get' arrested and executed by the Magistrate.

I don't think that is right. If some necromancer want' to kill themself by throwing their spell around. That is okay by me. I don't think that the land get extra-double hurt, or that the person who reflected or baned the magic is now a necromancer (though they may be stupid...) it is like a risk of using any kind of magic, it may come back in your face. I mean come on, even a goblin can learn the necro, but we are stuck using cloak' and spell shield' only. I don't even own such an item, i don't think i ever have, but i don't want some one who kick' a necromancer' butt with one to get arrested and killed by some over-eager magistrate. We are going to wind up kiling more of our own warrior than the monster' do, that is sick.

It isn't even ethically wrong what I am saying. We still want to kill these necromancer... right? Is it becoming too easy and we are just NOW thinking of way' to make it harder on ourself'. These kind of conversation blur the line between warfare and hunting for sport. You get more done if you try to win. This is all the Elf' fault they should have spotted this year' ago and fixed it. Shame on the Elf'.

Right now some where some punk-necromancer think that we are sissy'. I hate that so much. Agh, it make me want to scream.

-Air Raksa

It was awesome to meet you in person finally. After leaving notes for each other back and forth, it was nice to be able to place a face to the notes.

Hey Rock,

Some of us elves don't have any problems with baning necro, I don't see a problem to be fixed.

-Red

Air Raksa,

That is certainly an interestin' way o' looking at things and I believe we can agree that theah is a weakness of spirit that leads to the use of necromancy. I don't know that I would say necromancy itself is weak, but that perhaps those who use it do not trust in their own strength enough to feel that they can function without it as a crutch, a hideously deformed and rottin' crutch but a crutch nonetheless.

Now... I am not advocating a change in the laws or the persecution of those who would bane necromancy. While I do not feel entirely comfortable with the idea o' sending a spell back at the person who cast it and therefoah indirectly harming them with chaos magics, I also do not believe that we should start throwin' ourselves in front of chaos spells so that no one else is harmed by them either. Clearly even the act of casting the spell is as heinous as the harm it does to its recipients, which is why there is nothing wrong with dodging out o' the way. Theah is no sense in heaping injury to ourselves upon injury to the earth.

I am truly sorry that this conversation has upset you. That was never my intent. However if somewhere a necromancer is looking contemptuously upon the ideas spoken here then I am glad. If she thinks we are weak then it will have that much more of an impact when we defeat her. It is the things that challenge our perceptions that give us pause. If we were to expect to win 1000 battles and lose the 999th, we would remember that for as long as we lived, and forever wonder why, especially having paid the price of madness and evil for each victory.

Necromancers must die, this we can all agree on, however, and I hope that my elf friends will not be too harsh on me, the ultimate goal would be for necromancers to repent their wrongs and make reparations after they have paid the legal penalty. While death is certainly a start, service, is much more useful to society as a whole. If one could truly become a contributing member of society after having fallen into the depths o' chaos then to me that would be the ultimate triumph of good over evil.

Man-at-Arms Sophia Dawne
Vex Squad, Untiring Phalanx, Legion D

An excellent question and topic Goodman Sparktet!

Is it illegal to bane a necromantic spell? As has been pointed out, it certainly is not.

Is it morally questionable? Well that is a matter that has enough gray areas for debate. Personally, I feel that it is largely dependent on the situation. Certainly it is a poor idea when it was an undead who cast the spell, as you would then be healing your enemy. At that point you must make a tactical decision and determine if it is worthwhile to heal your enemy in an effort to avoid damaging yourself; and as with all tactical decisions it is pretty much a case by case basis.

That said, pragmatism does indicate that an item that banes necromancy item is likely to be far less useful to you than an item that cloaks it. This is because undead have a proclivity to perform necromancy, and thus would be aided by any spell that was reflected back unto them. If you are crafting an item, especially one designed for fighting undead, it is a poor idea to design a defense mechanism that is apt to aid your opponent in any way.

My personal opinion on the matter is that I feel it is best to create a cloak necromancy item over a bane rather than run the risk of the spell being used to aid ones enemy. I am pragmatic enough to not throw away an item that banes necromancy if I were to stumble across it, but I would never craft one myself. It smacks a little too much of using the tools of evil to defeat it for my personal taste.

-Cedric Fruvous
Sorcerer of Stars

Back