[.11] Jack of All Trades

Inaryn

Knight
Jack Of All Trades (General, Item [Any], Passive) - For every 10 Craftsman (Other) skills the wielder possesses, they count as having one additional level of Enhanced Meditate. The character also counts as having Healing Arts, Herbal Lore, and Read Magic for the purpose of Identifying production items.

Similar to the Merchant Insight thread, is this ritual also going to include Create Trap/Trap Globes?

No worries! The crafting system is still something I really care about!

On another subject of this. The wording of "For every 10 Craftsman (Other) skills the wielder possesses, they count as having one additional level of Enhanced Meditate."
Do you have to have one rank in Enhanced Meditate for it to work.
Example I have 30 levels of craftsman
I have Jack of all trades ritual on me.
Do I now count as having 3 levels of enhance meditate without even taking one rank?

That is the way I read it, yes. 30 ranks of CO is a lot, though -- 6 levels for most folks and 3 levels for Sylvanborn. That's a lot of build investment to not buy 9 build worth of skills for Enhanced Meditate at rank 3.

The wording is a bit clunky, but I would say that the intent of the Ritual is yes, 30 ranks of Craftsman earns you 3 levels of Enhanced Meditate.

You've spent nearly 6 times the XP (unless you're a Sylvanvborn, in which case it's slightly more than 3 times the XP) it would have cost you to just buy Enhanced Meditate 3 times, so I think needing a rank of it already is overly punishing.

(The ratios are nearly the same for a Sylvanborn if you do get one rank of Enhanced and only take 20 ranks of Craftsman, but it's actually worse for any other race, at nearly 7 times the XP cost compared to just buying the last two ranks.)

Oh, don't get me wrong, my final build is going to have 50+ ranks of different ones, and all of that is to fund the 3 crafting skills (Potions, Alchemy, and then one of the other three) I plan to hit 20 ranks in. XP well spent!

I'm just pointing out for anyone who doesn't want lots of Craftsman that this Ritual is always at least 3 times as expensive to make use out of than just buying the rank of Enhanced Meditate, making it a poor choice if you don't already want/need 10/20/30+ ranks of Craftsman.

I actually kinda wish JoaT required production skills instead of Craftsman. With what I expect to be a sudden immense increase of reliance on production skills, JoaT basically just becomes a Sylvanborn ritual, IMO. I suspect there’s a fair amount of Sylvan characters who were going to have significant amounts of Craftsman anyways.

I actually kinda wish JoaT required production skills instead of Craftsman. With what I expect to be a sudden immense increase of reliance on production skills, JoaT basically just becomes a Sylvanborn ritual, IMO. I suspect there’s a fair amount of Sylvan characters who were going to have significant amounts of Craftsman anyways.

Totally a regional thing. Craftsman skills are pretty common in this region. A good chunk of our characters will qualify for one level when all is said and done.

Totally a regional thing. Craftsman skills are pretty common in this region. A good chunk of our characters will qualify for one level when all is said and done.

That’s fair. Do you guys have a heavy merchant-type presence?

Nope. A lot of in between game action stuff gets keyed off of craftsman, we have markers in games where you have a chance to use skills like tracking to gain information. We've done a lot of work to make them useful.

I can see it being garbage if that stuff is not happening.

even before the point chris is mentioning though, I know there was a core group of us in somi that took some amount of Craftsman skills to explain WHY we had knowledge of something. I had 4 CO Miner before theree was any benefit from it, but I wanted a reason I could call out the intricate differences between different gemstones and in the end its all personal preference on those things.

Yeah, Dave's right. A lot of us had CO's before that point, but the amount of them have definitely risen since our plot team has put a lot of effort into making them useful.

It really rounds out your character, and the markers Chris is talking about are actually a really cool idea.

Nope. A lot of in between game action stuff gets keyed off of craftsman, we have markers in games where you have a chance to use skills like tracking to gain information. We've done a lot of work to make them useful.

I can see it being garbage if that stuff is not happening.

Ohh, we have that out here in Oregon/Seattle, too. However, the advantages aren’t generally so useful that people invest a lot of build on it, from what I’ve seen. I’d be surprised if we had any non MWE’s with more than, say, five Craftsman purchases total.

Back