Jan Faire Favorite Moments

Jesse Grabowski

Squire
Marshal
Hey folks!!

I had a blast this event!! With so many NPCs, we quickly began to run out of RP encounters... which I call "fishbowls." It was so nice to see so many things happening at once and I thank Jen, Dani, and David for the assistance. I would also like to thank the amazing cast of NPCs who made it all possible.
The RP was fantastic, and the cabin, although small, afforded ample room to mingle closely, have a mod room, eat, and otherwise enjoy the environment. The outdoors was an added bonus.

I was so happy to see all of the new faces at this event too!!! I hope you guys return in April for more shenanigans as PCs or NPCs!!

Favorite moments- The Baronial meeting- such deep stuff.
My unexpected entrance with accompanying bagpipes!!!
The Candle Lighting Ceremony- nice RP from many!
Running the mods... I love indoor mods and am grateful for the space to do so. Maybe next winter, I will find a space to hold a module day with multiple room....
The Twisted Dryad Mod...

Feel free to post your favorite moments as well...
ANd I also have a question... would you return to that location again next year?
Would you rather see it used for a module day? (i.e.) a smaller group of adventurers going on plot tailored specific missions within their own baronies/estates or interacting with certain plot writeups not within New Acarthia? These would be a 2-3 hour team only mission/plotline. Npcs would stay the whole day and we could rotate PC teams into 2 hour time slots throughout the day, thus also easing parking... let me know your thoughts.

Jesse

My Favorite Moments:
The Candle Lighting Ceremony was wonderful, and really gave me a feel for a lot of the characters.
The Twisted Dryad Mod...excellent!

As for your other question:
I would return to a fair day hosted at that location again.
I also love the idea of Module day.

Favorite moments:
-I actually really enjoyed the metaplot developments. Especially with shoring up our borders, laws of engagement with the green races, and the attacks happening in Bayenna and Warchester.
-The outdoor goblins were...great. Great roleplay, I really enjoyed the heck outta all of them.
-Niko from Mud & Blood played by Chaz: Put Chaz on the payroll dude. That scene was awesome.
-I felt horrible I was kinda getting pulled in three ways during that, the Candle contest, and some other random stuff, cause I really wanted to put my full attention towards all of it.
-Candle lighting ceremony was definitely cool. I think it was a good idea, as you got to learn a bit about the characters in a good open RP way. Super surprised STILL on winning the contest, like to the point my first IG letter I'm writing is a thank you to the ones that judged the contest.
-Twisted Dryad mod was by far...awesome Jesse. Like on multiple levels, expect a lot of follow up from the crew on this. Great depth in terms of RP, mood, and theme.
-Tons of RP scenarios. I didn't get to directly interact with a lot of the fishbowl stuff to be honest - but the parts I experienced were really good and facilitated RP well.
-Jack (Like, 90% sure I have the OOG name correct this time!) as the Ducal Knight. I love RPing with his NPCs. Each one is awesome.

ANd I also have a question... would you return to that location again next year?
Would you rather see it used for a module day? (i.e.) a smaller group of adventurers going on plot tailored specific missions within their own baronies/estates or interacting with certain plot writeups not within New Acarthia? These would be a 2-3 hour team only mission/plotline. Npcs would stay the whole day and we could rotate PC teams into 2 hour time slots throughout the day, thus also easing parking... let me know your thoughts.

Do a full day thing again. I think that just we need to utilize the indoor space and not have the side room warded off. If its warm enough out, just do a cover or awning over the back porch for more space if its raining. The whole barony stuff is good, as is random mods as well. Having a mix of both RP and evening get together (Even going formal past "Don't wear your gravy stained shirt") for part of it is a good thing, and did work from what I saw.

I think if you split your staff in terms of mod marshals, and keep up with the requesting max 6 stuff, you could run these all days with a few wandering orcs and goblins on the spare just fine. Especially if you have that sorta an NPC turnout. You could also ask for shifts if short staffed again - have the shifts study ahead of time for a specific mod for specific groups at specific times, or fill the random wandering monsters. Like really, you could have a random mod team, a scheduled mod team, and a wandering random bad guy team, and just have a bunch of different scenarios to go with and just use an outdoor area for mods and you're set. The side area where Jose and I were sparring could just be traffic coned off and used for one mod team all day if you wanted. This would easily split the crowd up well. And then from like, 5/6 to 8/9pm could be designated fancy pants RP time, then the end of the night do a big fight or some arching plot wrap ups or cliffhangers.

The issue with the location was having enough indoor space was really just during dinner time. Good, closed in area where people cannot spread out actually facilitates RP - its a good thing. I know this from direct experience running Vampire larps both in terms of local and con style. But, having a spill over areas is always needed, and if you have other things going on in other areas, it wont feel as cramped as different groups go of on different things.

Parking: Just rope off the Car section. Stakes and rope. Gives a good separation. Honestly, I wasn't bothered by it.

-Porch
TPO Frank

Last edited:
Favorite moments:
  • Totally selfishly, kicking off the event with getting singled out by the Duchess about Chivalry School will be a huge lifetime memory for my character. That provided really meaningful roleplay, and a great reward in a way that tagged treasure of the highest value couldn't compete with at all. Thanks for that!
  • Small contemporary moment, also enjoyable, getting the IG equivalent of a fistbump from Sir Jared, asking how my fighter training was coming along; I always enjoy warrior comraderie like that.
  • LOVED LOVITY LOVED LOVED the atmosphere created in the tavern with the printed maps, the candles, and the beautiful lighting after dark. Thanks for all that effort!
  • Finally getting to roleplay with our Duchess, so many ducal nobles, and all the political background information and manueveuring was a delight!
  • Paul and Chaz as the arguing cow ranchers, with honorable mention to all the, "Your wife's so fat" jokes -- OH. MY. GOD. So damn funny! Really, every single character that either Paul or Chaz portrayed was a colorful delight. You're both such excellent character actors. I especially appreciate that you each gave your characters different accents. Your performances added so much color to the game. Thank you both very much for volunteering! Ditto on what Porch said about Chaz's performance as Niko from Mud and Blood -- that encounter was a real highlight. Thanks for sending that character into game in response to PC efforts -- LOVED IT!
  • LOVED the creepy plant people! Great roleplay through body language from all the NPCs. You handled the requests for physical roleplay politely, with class, and without disruption. Well done!
  • Went on my first Alliance module ever (believe it or not). Marshalled by Dani, simple, clean, no hang ups, cute and creative monsters with amusing roleplay from the NPCs -- When you can roleplay monsters colorfully even when you can't talk, you're doing it right! Thanks Casey, Mari, David, and sorry I don't know who the 4th was in that encounter. There was a riddle AND a trap! Yes, please! Just very nicely done overall.
  • Chris honors us with his bagpipe performances - such a joy!
  • Alex's song from Andrew the Bard about Pockets' kidnapping was FANTASTIC! Thanks so much, Alex, for preparing that for us. You performed that so flawlessly, I'm really impressed. I LOVE that our game has two professed bards who actually do artistic performances for us. Writing a song about an in-game event like that adds a dimension to our roleplay and the game world just can't be expressed otherwise. Thanks so much for putting that together - the game is richer for it.
  • Pockets' usual antics in small... and sometimes very large... and public... and inescapable... and delightful moments!
  • Cliffhanger with the Barony of Warchester -- the simple thing of seeing the Warchester tabard come in, so immediately recognizeable, was a great detail of the world we're building together.
  • A zillion moments of personal roleplay with other PCs that I wouldn't name publicly, but you know who you are, you know that and why I adore you, and I always look forward to more!
Campsite:
Loved it. Didn't love trying to have a sit-down feast in it. In summertime if we can eat outside, that'd be cool. Otherwise I'd prefer a casual pot luck where we can eat at staggered hours and just gnosh.

Short Events:
I very strongly prefer a "one day" atmosphere where we can roleplay between modules, and entertain ourselves -- which we totally will. If resources are not ample for wandering monsters, then I wouldn't mind having a simple 1:1 fighter tournment, or card games, or activities that can be easily organized by 1 person like those to entertain people who want something more active.

If there's a module day where you get customized content, I'd go, and I haven't any doubt that I'd love it -- but the social interaction amongst characters is always my favorite.

I can see A TON of work went into this event, and I thank everyone for it! Thanks for putting it together and writing everything. Thanks, David and Dani for bringing 45,000 new NPCs whom I bet - knowing you - you've been training and educating on the side. Thanks EVERYONE who brought new players with them and helped them get setup. While we're on that topic, thanks to all the first time players who went out on a limb to try this out - I hope you met some great people and got a taste of what this hobby is all about. Thanks to Barbara, Jen, and Lacey for handling all the tavern for us; I know how much hard work that is and we're all grateful for it! Thanks to all our staff and volunteers - ESPECIALLY Jesse who makes all this happen, and Barbara who gets roped into it, love it or not! And mostly my thanks to all my new friends from Alliance, current and future. You guys are great. Thanks for building this community together. :)

Trace Moriarty

Last edited:
Back