Javelin making

Don't know if this should be in New Player, General, or what...so will start here.

Rulebook:
Javelines are made from 3 feet of foam tubing (no pipe) with a thrusting tip.
They may be weighted with no more than one D cell battery.

What can be used instead of a D cell battery?
I was thinking about something like Bird seed wrapped in sleeve & taped to the inside of the tubing. This would probably give better balance than a heavy battery at the tip.

Second resort: A smaller set of Washers taped into a pack & taped to the inside of the tubing.

After reading the post with info on a balista, I was wondering about filling the portion from the 'canister' back to the end with Great Stuff filler? Very light weight & dries ridged. Which would make a javelin a more fire-able projectile without making it dangerous.
http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/big-gap-filler/

I will look at putting one together with a removable core of it (got some left over after some house repairs this weekend) & bring it to the next game day to review.

jpariury said:
Anything up to the weight of a D-cell ay be used. Personally, I found great utility out of using a 35mm film canister filled with water and cement-glued shut.

I've used a 35mm canister full of fishing leads as well.

I -hate- javelins that actually use batteries, simply given how rarely some people seem to rebuild weapons, and the tendency for batteries to start leaking acid over time. Not something I like having people throwing around when there are safer, cheaper alternatives.

Wraith said:
jpariury said:
Anything up to the weight of a D-cell ay be used. Personally, I found great utility out of using a 35mm film canister filled with water and cement-glued shut.

I've used a 35mm canister full of fishing leads as well.

I -hate- javelins that actually use batteries, simply given how rarely some people seem to rebuild weapons, and the tendency for batteries to start leaking acid over time. Not something I like having people throwing around when there are safer, cheaper alternatives.

Yeah, sort of the reason I wanted to avoid batteries.
Things I have thought of were epoxy formed in a greased 35mm canister (split the canister, pry out, & form another reusing the 35mm).
Paper mache (bio-degrades when wet though) with a cellophane wrap.

Easiest and cheapest thing I can think of offhand for a solid puck would be to use something like Sculpey poly-clay. If you don't care what color it is, you could get enough to do several javelins for a couple bucks.

SkollWolfrun said:
After reading the post with info on a balista, I was wondering about filling the portion from the 'canister' back to the end with Great Stuff filler? Very light weight & dries ridged. Which would make a javelin a more fire-able projectile without making it dangerous.

I will look at putting one together with a removable core of it (got some left over after some house repairs this weekend) & bring it to the next game day to review.

question about that: ¿can you put anything in the core? the rules says one cannot use pipe, but ¿is Great Stuff or something akin kosher? i would use javelins far more often (read, at all) if the insulation wasn't so flimsy

Mobius said:
SkollWolfrun said:

question about that: ¿can you put anything in the core? the rules says one cannot use pipe, but ¿is Great Stuff or something akin kosher? i would use javelins far more often (read, at all) if the insulation wasn't so flimsy

That is why I am asking. Building a character & my idea is a wolf-kin with a bo staff & javelins. Tried to toss a few unsupported & they fly alright, but a little stiffening does wonders.

Javelins I don't see thrown often, but as far as the core is concerned, usually the weight would be at the end rather than in the core area.

The trick is to make one stiff enough to fly and not floppy, which gratuitous amounts of duct tape can fix that.

Well, I did a test javelin with the spray in expanding foam.
The amount of flex is reduced, but there is still some bend which is nice.
The weight is barely more than an non-foamed tube.

I think this will pass & be fairly well usable. Will be trying a toss test later today.

Back