July event

first thank you to everyone who came out. Npc's and runners get a big thank you. As always you are overworked and understaffed but you made the event.
Second a big thanks to the OEF crew who did the tavern. Setting it up was a big job and cooking was even bigger. It was great.
Some of my favorites.
Syn and the bear orgy. Worth the price of admission all by itself.
All things tavern. The ambience was great.
The 4am vision and the discussion afterwards. Shifting into conjecture.

Ohhhh favorites -

First thank you staff - well done by all!!! I hate camping- I did not hate camping for this-so thank you all!!!

Joe and Brigit personal thanks for lending me a tent and setting it up!!

OEF - thanks for all the work and effort and outpouring on the Tavern- you all are a true gift to larping!!!

So in game favorites-

-"well if they have the dryad - this forest is f@cked "... best most honest line ever from a an npc!!

- the boat mod was AMAZING!!! Well done and so much fun!!!

- the flow felt nice and even - not a lot of waiting!!!

-loved the set up of the portals and two teams and all that :)

- fortune teller was amazing!!!

- sock beef.... and all that followed !!! I drank the water!!!

-loves the political stuff ... I kept my distance but I did not want it lol

- love your player base :)

I am sure more but that is what I have at this moment!

Thank you
Nette
(Followed by my stupid in game signature .... sorry)

Lady IronRose of Storm's Rose
Special Envoy of King Grimlock to Dragonreach
Founder of Forgotten Hope
Mother

"My Life For Theirs"
"Defending the Dealings of Time and Space"

I had a lot of fun.

Here's what I really enjoyed.
How interconnected stuff is. This event was one that I really realized everything was more connected then I thought, and I can tell you that when I realized it, it was a fantastic feeling. You've all worked really hard to do this, and it's showing. I hope you're getting as much of a pay off as we are.

I really liked the concept behind the ship mod. It was really creative.
The puzzle game is up there. Way better then anything I've seen in a long time. There were a ton of puzzles this weekend, and I think it gave a really nice break up to combat.
The tavern turned out really cool at night. Which I was worried about but, I think it did really well. It only looked ok in the day.
There was some down time but, I never felt bored. So I think we as players did a good job making our own fun when stuff was going on.
I have to say, Chris you've really gotten better at roleplaying different characters, since you've bought the chapter.
The mansion mod was kind of cool. I'm not a big fan of holds, or final fantasy fights where everyone pauses to get setup. That being said, it was cool.
Running mods with just the OEF is such a fantastic experience. I can't even explain how right it feels to be with you guys again.

That stone elemental costume looked badass! I wish it would have been for a big(ger) fight.

I also really liked the first step in Evan's transform. I don't know who did that but, the long incants were unique. A++.
Vacuum Packages! It's great to share rules. Although I'd prefer we find a way to standardize the entire package so that the rules are exactly the same. We need to probably also cut out the chapter specific disadvantages (Are you guys sure you don't want Oni in the game? :p)

We've been slowly pulling Emerald Flame members out of retirement, it's been so much easier with you guys running a great game.

Here's what I didn't like.
The tent camping wasn't as bad as I thought. But, what the neon colored tents really killed my immersion. As did our camper (I'm going to make the case that we don't use a camper again). The tavern didn't look so great in the day time either. I think, what would help is that if we as a chapter took some steps to at least pretend we're not sleeping in modern tents. I'd love to see Hog, Emerald Flame Banners, Moonless Nights Banners at all the tents. You could probably buy a really cheap plant holder that stakes into the ground to hang banners. We all have a responsibility to contribute to immersion.
Obviously, I'd prefer we didn't tent camp. But, I'm told I can't always have what I want.

Craftsmen Others: I ******* hate asking for them at the start of mods. It drives me bonkers. Most of the information everyone has to pretend they didn't hear, and try not to cheat. Additionally, it's usually not very useful. Craftsmen Other Undead Lore: Are there undead here? 2 minutes later they see undead. Not really useful. We're super guilty of this at South Michigan too. It's bad. I've got some ideas I'm going to try out. Maybe you guys can steal them.
As a follow up, from an out of game perspective it appeared there was/is a trap door in the haunted mansion. As when I was walking around it, I was asked what craftsmen others I had to see if I could see it. We're not playing dungeons and dragons, I understand there's repping limitations but, the fact that I may not have been able to see or discover a door I was looking for because I didn't spend 2 build on some skill, kind of rubs me the wrong way. Especially because I have other skills related to traps, and picking lock, that cost a ton more build.

Talking Out of Game: I don't know what else to say about this. Some members of the Emerald Flame were guilty of this, as were members of HoG. Higher level players have a responsibility to set the tone of the game, as younger players will learn by example. I think we dropped the ball big time this weekend.

Messiness of the Tavern: Trash was left everywhere. A lot of people didn't get charged for food, or I was only loosely caring for people who couldn't afford it. That kind of thing makes me not want to do it again. Cleaning up after yourselves is a must. (As a side note, a town trash can probably would help some.)

Costuming from higher level players: We gotta do better about this, again we're setting the bar for what's acceptable. We can and should do better. I know it's hot. I was wearing a ton of leather. But, we still need to do better.

No New Players! The event was still large for a Michigan Alliance Event but, I'm worried about growing TC. I think tent camping might be a big barrier, so the sooner we can stop doing that the better. Coming to a larp is already overwhelming with out having to setup a tent and worry about doing all that stuff right. I want all the success in the world for you guys and gals.

Last edited:
Had fun, thanks to all the runners and staff who made it all happen. Looking forward to August.

The Site
Nice open space, plenty of room to run things.
Lack of shade kinda sucked.
Between this place and the site at the opener, I think I'd choose this one, simply because it can be reserved ahead of time and it's more private. Maybe bring a weed wacker next time so the ground covering doesn't damage more of my stuff.
I'd be open to trying a totally new site for August.

The Event
So many puzzles. mm mmm good.
I liked the town feel of everyone in the same place.
The Elf, Biata, Dryad plot seemd to have a bunch of moving parts but everything made sense in the end. Very cool.
lots of things going on, more about choosing what to do, rather than finding a thing to do.

Saturday night town fight seemed off
---Npcs were split amongst two mods so the town only had 2 mobs to fight. It's fine that plot was entertaining multiple groups, but then more NPCs came in the side of the Adventurers. ???? I get the story telling of Sunseeker sending aid, but it just kinda fell flat to me. They came to help with the thing we weren't having any trouble with.
---The Fire was used as a psuedo safe zone which made the whole thing feel strange. Not sure how to fix that in the future. Maybe we can't do town fights after dark? or we need to discuss some kind of gentleman's agreement that when plot calls an invasion or something, PC's need to move away from the fire so we can have a real town fight.
---I legit thought the whole thing was just crunchies. Since we were told some Elven police force or something was coming to look for the OEF. I was expecting some kind of RP thing. Then the dragon's hoard of treasure arrived.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Tavern/Pavilion. It was cool on Saturday, but it killed a lot of Friday night because it was so much to set up. That might be more of an issue of Tent camping. With the communal town feel, even if you get ready at 9, people are still driving up and making it difficult to start the game. Whereas in a more cabin larping situation late arrivals can more easily prepare without delaying things. Not sure how well a soft lay-on would work. Perhaps, for future events, we can make the 'town' the not quite in game part yet, and if people are ready to do things they should go to monster camp. Whereas in a soft lay at Somi, it's hang around the tavern to talk to each other. I dunno, just thinking.

Standard: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Chris, I agree with your points on costuming and oog talking. The one thing I would add is that some of us are just lucky that we could afford to cover our event fee. That being said I have an idea. Some of us who have been around awhile probably have older or extra costuming. In addition some people no longer play. What about an adventurer to adventurer sale?
Ps. We have in the past had a white elephant sale at the start of the year. Costuming has alway been part of that. It is something we haven't done in a while. Maybe we could do that if there isn't any interest in a sale.

Last edited:
Chris, I agree with your points on costuming and oog talking. The one thing I would add is that some of us are just lucky that we could afford to cover our event fee. That being said I have an idea. Some of us who have been around awhile probably have older or extra costuming. In addition some people no longer play. What about an adventurer to adventurer sale?

I know of at least one seamstress who plays here who would probably trade favors for costuming, or in game coin.

I'd encourage plot to give out shirts and pants and bracers as magic item reps! That way people who do have old stuff, or extra cash can donate them.

There's a few ways to we can bring up the costuming bar for the game, so that people who are scrapping by can improve their wardrobe.

I don't want people to feel bad about not having good costuming, rather I'd like the bar to be set high so people want to strive to have good stuff.

I know of at least one seamstress who plays here who would probably trade favors for costuming, or in game coin.

That's be a sweet season pass reward, if such an arrangement could be made. Said Seamstress would obviously need wagon loads of gobs, but might be cool. Do a shirt one year, pants the next.

-Joe

Last event we had 3 new players. Mia's friend had a scheduling conflict this past event. But is planning on coming to the August event. The two others said they had fun but haven't seen them on the boards since before the first event.

Back