July Kitchen News

Zihr

Artisan
Hello friends! Hope you're all excited for this upcoming weekend :) Here is the planned menu, I've tried to be as aware of allergies and preferences as I can be. The entire menu is pork and shellfish free. I believe it to be sugar substitute (including high fructose corn syrup) free as well, however Wednesday is grocery shopping day and without everything purchased I'll have to wait to confirm that.

Friday night Mac! The lovely Dianne (my wife) has agreed to make her homemade mac. Sadly this will likely not be gluten free. I'll look into a GF alternative but as of this posting I'm not certain its doable with budget and time constraints.

Saturday morning breakfast! Egg & Cheese burritos or hard boiled eggs. GF alternative - I'll have a couple of burritos made from corn tortillas set aside.

Saturday lunch! Sandwiches and chips. There will either be a loaf of GF bread *OR* lettuce leaves (depending on availability or pricing). Turkey (possibly chicken depending on availability or pricing) and cheese or Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Saturday dinner! Tacos, rice, and fruit. There will be corn tortillas for the GF option. Ground beef (Mira - I got you covered with a small amount of ground chicken!), lettuce, tomato, and sour cream. White short grain rice. Fruit will consist of at least watermelon, possibly (you guessed it) depending on availability and pricing pineapple and banana.

Please plan on bringing your own hot sauce / salsa / taco sauce if desired.

Thank you all! Can't wait to see you :D

~Brad (Zihr)

If you need any assistance on gf Mac recipies, let me know. I won't be at the event but can share my expertise.

Ethan

If you need any assistance on gf Mac recipies, let me know. I won't be at the event but can share my expertise.

Ethan
Same...

Assuming I will be able to for sure manipulate the world around me and be in attendance. I can even bring some GF pasta from home for the kitchen.

Depending on stores around you, products may vary. Walmart (yes I know, some people don't like it but it's open 24 hrs and 5 blocks from my house)... almost universally carry Brailla and Ronzoni. Brailla has a much wider pasta selection of GF and nonGF and also a Spotify Playlist to listen to music the exact time the their pasta should cook for. However is a less stellar company to buy products of. Ronzoni, IMO is a better (and usually cheaper) pasta however I have only ever found GF in spaghetti, Penne, and Rotinni. As a company never seen or heard anything positive or negative... so that's what I usually buy. But - local stores may have different stuff but when I travel I usually still find it at Walmart and bring it to said friends house.

GF bread.... is a dice roll and a gambit. Almost all of it is air locked, and if possible should stay that way till just before needing it, and sealed air tight as can be managed after opening. Equally, all of it tends to be fresh, but -very- dry, buns especially. It typically needs a fair bit of condiments of choice put on it and given a minute to absorb and put a little more before ingredients. I have found however that GF bread with a good butter&oil mix can indeed make a fabulous grilled cheese. For a kitchen of numerous GF needs, a loaf can be worth it with the right additives to make it less dry, particularly if it can be grilled (not toasted).

Last edited:
I am happy to bring a box of gluten free/vegan mac or two along with the necessary items to make it if Diane would be willing to cook it in a seperate pot. Additionally if bread was a struggle to find i'm happy to bring a loaf of Udi's GF ancient grain to be shared :)

Thanks Brittany, really appreciate the offer :) We did make one box of GF Mac (yes, in a separate pot!) and have a loaf of GF bread for lunch! The corn tortillas, unfortunately, didn't work out very well for breakfast burritos. I do have some hard boiled eggs but if you're a breakfast person you may wish to supplement. Sorry Team GF :(

Back