July Rules Clarifications

Tayl

Below will be the list of all of the rules clarifications that have come out of the July game. If any more clarifications are requested, I will edit them in and make a new post for them in this thread.

High Magic through Meditation:

I saw many players spreading misinformation that when purchasing new high magic through meditation, that you had to do so in a Circle of Power. The text of high magic meditation is below, but
TL;DR, you can meditate for new high magic wherever and whenever you want.

"Alternatively, a character may spend points later in the day by successfully Meditating, after which they may purchase a single High Magic ability as many times as they like providing they have sufficient unspent High Magic points to do so. If they are choosing the Spellcraft High Magic, they must then have the Spellcrafting tag signed off by a Crafting Marshal, and must deposit any expended resources (such as Reagents) at a Crafting Station. Unless otherwise specified in the High Magic description, any other High Magic can be filled out by the player themselves at the end of their Meditation session"

(New 2.0 Beta Rulebook) Page 148

This clarification comes two-fold!

Spellcrafting High Magic

I spoke with some players about spellcrafting high magic, and this is to clarify that what I told them during the game was incorrect. As per the text above, when spellcrafting, you still must turn in components when you add it to your board, not when you cast the spellcraft.

Reflexive Prison
Reflexive prison, like many other activatable high magics, can only be used when you are capable of using game abilities. For example, you can not use Reflexive Prison while you are paralyzed, but you can do so while you are Webbed, Shackled, or Pinned.

This provides a personal Prison spell for the caster in extreme emergencies. The Protective Reflex ability allows the caster to choose to activate this Prison in response to any effect that strikes them; the Prison effect then acts as if it was cast before the effect struck. When triggered, the character must state “Protective Reflex. No Effect: Visible Prison” as a response to the attack.

(New 2.0 Beta Rulebook) Page 152

If there are any other rules clarifications that you would like to hear about, please post them below and I will answer them here!

Taylor Kaiman
Head Rules Marshal for Alliance Denver

Last edited:
Updated to add Reflexive Prison!

Also a reminder that if you die while Webbed, Paralyzed, or Prison'd, those effects end immediately. If you're standing up, I assume you're not dead.

To clarify and spell it out, since I got asked this 3 times..."dying" you stay standing. "Dead" you fall. ^_^

Back