Just heard of this larp thing, questions.

Well, I'm really interested in LARP, I just heard about it and I think it's really cool, but my family is poor and I can't really afford much, along with that I'm only 16 and I don't have a licence, so I'm kinda in a bad situation here, I'm in minnesota, and I'm wondering if someone can supply some equipment for a day and teach me the ropes, or something like that. Id really love to play, but I have no idea how to start or what to do I guess haha. :sweat:

First off, welcome! It's an awesome hobby to get into! To start off with, all you need is some black pants, a PLAIN black t-shirt, good shoes for being active outdoors (preferably dark in color and not sneakers), and a willingness to beg for a ride =P

With all of that, you can NPC and start learning the ropes with all of the costuming and equipment provided by the chapter.

You'll have to talk to your specific chapter (SoMN, I'd guess) about their (p)age policy, but I know that SoMN has some really good "Newbie Marshalls" (people who answer questions for new players) to help you out with the exact details!

-Luke G.

Hello and welcome!

I'm one of the New Player Marshals from the Southern Minnesota chapter!

I'll address your concerns, again echoing a couple things Luke already mentioned:

If you pre-register (let us know you're coming), NPCing is free. Monster Camp will give you everything for costuming, etc. but also read what you should bring to events as an NPC here: http://mnalliance.com/new-players/faqs/ ... o-an-event

If you post the need for a ride on the SoMN section of these boards, people are usually able to arrange carpools and just ask for a gas contribution.

If you are 16, you can fully participate with a signed parent permission form. (16 is the minimum age)

We train in new players on the basics before each game, with continued training and practice through out the event.

For how to get started, check out: http://mnalliance.com/new-players/faqs/getting-started/

Our next event is this weekend, so while it is short notice, as an NPC there isn't really much you need to prepare, so I'd encourage you to make it if you can.

If you have any further questions, send an email to info@mnalliance.com and I'll get you in contact with one of our New Player Marshals to work one on one with you.

Welcome again and I hope to see you at a game soon!

So about the alliance rule book, does it count if i read the kindle sample? I just finished reading it twice and it seems pretty detailed about the whole thing, It makes me want to play even more, even if that means just being an NPC haha.

Newbielarp said:
So about the alliance rule book, does it count if i read the kindle sample? I just finished reading it twice and it seems pretty detailed about the whole thing, It makes me want to play even more, even if that means just being an NPC haha.

The kindle version is OK except for two main things:

1. It's text only so you don't see the charts like they should look and you're missing all the good pictures!

2. It's version 1.0 so it's not as updated as it should be (and it won't be).

However, it will prepare you well for NPCing, and will put you ahead of most new NPCs who show up and have never read the book at all! :thumbsup:

Back