Just wondering....

Balryn

If any of the players would be interested in getting a make-up service for doing full face make-up. I'm looking at playing my secondary every now and then and would be interested in bringing my airgun to do face make-up with an airbrush.

Would people be interested in having this type of thing? Cost wise it can run about $3 to $5 a face, depending on the amount of coverage and colors. (The airgun and supplies however are about $300 to $500). But otherwise some pretty neat things can be done since I can make stencils for specific characters (facial tatoos take about ten seconds once a stencil is made for the pattern). The stuff is a lot better to use than most make-up, since it only takes about 10-20% the amount of make-up. Which lets your skin breath easier and looks a lot more natural.

Likewise, I would like to know if I could get event fees paid for / gobbies if I was willing to do some of the NPCs every now and then?

~Barry

So wait... This stuff doesnt make your skin feel all greasy and such after application? Can this be true?

P.S. I am willing to make stencils for specific tatoos/markings. In fact, I think I'll quickly bang out the stencils for those who were apart of the Hunter mod at the Feb event (the markings that go on the hands).

Johnathan Lancaster said:
So wait... This stuff doesnt make your skin feel all greasy and such after application? Can this be true?

P.S. I am willing to make stencils for specific tatoos/markings. In fact, I think I'll quickly bang out the stencils for those who were apart of the Hunter mod at the Feb event (the markings that go on the hands).

It doesn't feel greasy, depending on what variety of paint you use. Really heavy colors that require more than one coating may feel heavier, but what you end up with is basically far less. It only takes one or two quick passes to completely cover an area, which compared to regular make-up that can take rubbing and uneven coverage. I can also be done without a setting agent, for quick washoff. (So NPCs could have full face makeup in about a 2-3 minutes and wash it off with water). There are several setting agents that can make it last a few hours or even a few days.

In addtion, stencils let you make very intricate details. You can also do hair with patterns (it can look really cool when applied to someone who has semi straight hair, as you can do leopard prints and what not).

Barry

I've been wondering about this, actually...

1) How difficult would it be to do full face covering (thinking of my sarr makeup)?

2) Can you work around a prosthetic?

3) How well does it stay on (and it is powder/spray set or just spray set)?

-Dan

Excellent! I have a friend who was thinking about joining up with Nero, and doesnt want to play a human. Something about them being too mundane. Anyway, he also doesnt want to play any of the make-up intensive races, due to the feeling of the greasiness that the mmakeup leaves. That, and a poor makeup job is severely evident.

Tell me what kind of paint you need, and I might be able to pick it up at the local art store for cheap, as I have a student discount. I might buy some and donate some to monster camp as well...

Not to mention stencils... Precious stencils...

Quickie answers

1) How difficult would it be to do full face covering (thinking of my sarr makeup)?

Pretty simple. In your case, the base coat (white) goes everywhere and then we would make a couple of simple stencils for the black lines. A full one color base coat takes about 2-3 minutes to apply (unless you don't mind having your eyebrows blasted off, then you can do it in about 20 seconds... haha).

2) Can you work around a prosthetic?

It can be used around or on prosthetics depending on the make-up you use. I haven't done too much with different prosthetics, so I would have to get some more robust paints. Airbursh make-up comes in all varieties, and is becoming the mainstay for most movies (Ala Mystique and critters from LotR.)

3) How well does it stay on (and it is powder/spray set or just spray set)?

It comes in both varieties and in alchohol, water, and oil base as well. Hell, if you want it longterm, you can get a variety that is used in the "airbrush sun tan" booths now and you'll be wearing it for 3-4 weeks. (That could be a comical joke if I knew someone didn't have a job to go to) Most varieties beat out the standard oil/grease foundations you have to smear on, and they can last 2-3 days depending on what you put them through.

I took plenty of airbrushing, stage makeup, and art classes in school. I have the aircompressor already and would just need to buy a finer airgun. The real cost is the paints, and whether or not a group of people would be interested in having it done at events. I would probably need about 10 people wanting it done, or have staff say they would use it in exchange for games/gobbies to actually make it worth dragging the supplies to each game.

Barry

Well, I'm definitely interested, especially if I can have it applied at the beginning of an event and not have to reapply it over the course of a weekend.

Also, I'll talk to plot to see what they need as far as NPC makeup jobs and get back to you.

-Dan

Waitaminute...so you would charge 2-3 dollars for every person? Every time you do there face makeup?

Aeris said:
Waitaminute...so you would charge 2-3 dollars for every person? Every time you do there face makeup?

Basically I would just charge for the make-up supplies. Depending on how much is used. Basic tatoos could run a $1 and up, while full make-up with multiple colors could go anywhere from $1 to $15 (I've seen some pretty unusual designs done with this type of make-up mind you).

I more interested in knowing if there are enough people interested to justify bringing the gear and keeping it supplied.

Barry

Since I've got a sarr waiting in the wings to be played, and I *hate* doing makeup (but the character is *so cool*) I'd be more than willing to pay the $5 for the facial stuff.

Just out of curiousity...whats a full-body job go for? (UPPER body, that is...I'm not applying spray paint to my nether-regions for *any* amount of cash, let alone *paying* for it! :eek: )

Spoone

If I get a job I would be more then happy to pay 5-10 dollars to get my face painted.

Shane

Ive actually got an airbrush gun and some paints...I haven't brought it out to play with it yet, however if it works, i can bring it with me to events and your more then welcome to use it for your idea, however you'd have to get some of your own paints mine are pretty old and not too various in colors.
*smiles*

~steph

Aeris said:

Me personally.....
1) if the make up lasted the whole weekend
2) someone else was going to apply it
3) it looked great

........ would consider this a small price to pay

I would suggest buying flightline quality earplugs and just stuff them in there before using the airgun around your ears, my only concern would be eyes.

The air pressure when doing make-up with an airgun is typically in the 8-10 PSI range. Very low pressure compared to what the gun is capable of. There is no danger for the eyes, except for if you use a alcohol based spray (which lasts longer), but stings like hell if you get it in your eye (imagine pouring some rubbing alcohol in your eye). But even that isn't actual damage, just a minute of two of crying mama (I don't think anyone in NERO would actually use alcohol based make-up, so the point is rather moot)

Ears are protected (specifically the ear canal) by placing a plastic cone or cotton swab (aka a Q-Tip) into the ear to prevent make-up from going into the ear.

It's nothing new really, just many people don't do it because of the cost of the airgun setup. Airbrush based make-up has been used since the 1930's. However in the past five years it's chemically taken a huge leap, as movie makers and actors have demanded safer products.

You can pretty much find an airbrush make-up person in most high-end salons these days, and it's the same exact process being used for "spray on" sun tans (but in the case of all our NERO players, we don't want tan... we want black, and green, and pink)

mmmm... sudden temptation to fulfill thoughts of dark elf secondary...

It would definately be worth it if I don't have to reapply my make up every morning of events. I'd like to see how it works first, before I commit to anything though.

Also, you've probably seen L.E.'s make up pattern. How much do you think you'd charge for something that looks like that?

Just as clarification... are you bringing that wonderful contraption with you to this event?

I need to know if I should buy the appropriate paints that i need today.

Johnathan Lancaster said:
Just as clarification... are you bringing that wonderful contraption with you to this event?

I need to know if I should buy the appropriate paints that i need today.

No. I am not doing it this event. I will be trying to do a game day and if that works out for a few people then I'll do an event.

Barry

Back